Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

How do i fix this?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:11 PM
PearlyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do i fix this?

No clue what happend to my right tail light, it’s only on my right one. I did debadge the g37x emblem to the right so I’m wondering if i got some goo-off on my tail light & somehow it faded those circles in it? I have no clue. I’m not a professional at all when it comes to body work & care but I’d like to get that off, any suggestions?
Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
If you used goof-off rather than goo-gone that would probably be the culprit. Goof-off is a much stronger solvent and can damage finishes on plastics. You may be able to use some mild rubbing compound w/ a finish buffing to get it shined up again, if not you might have to wet sand starting w/ 600 grit and working down to a 2000 grit. You would then need to shoot w/ a quality clear coat and a compound/buff. The bad thing about doing any compounding & sanding is it may be hard to match the look of your other taillight as they may have a different gloss finish
Luckily used taillights are pretty affordable on ebay if it's not working out.
Do you have any pics of the taillight?

Last edited by blnewt; 08-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:39 PM
PearlyG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
If you used goof-off rather than goo-gone that would probably be the culprit. Goof-off is a much stronger solvent and can damage finishes on plastics. You may be able to use some mild rubbing compound w/ a finish buffing to get it shined up again, if not you might have to wet sand starting w/ 600 grit and working down to a 2000 grit. You would then need to shoot w/ a quality clear coat and a compound/buff. The bad thing about doing any compounding & sanding is it may be hard to match the look of your other taillight as they may have a different gloss finish
Luckily used taillights are pretty affordable on ebay if it's not working out.
Do you have any pics of the taillight?

Old 08-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Rollo
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
There are several companies that make plastic polish...I would try one of them and if it doesn't work look for a used replacement.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:06 PM
kidtronix
Build your own bandwagon.

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
NOVUS plastic polish is without question the best.

Novus Plastic Polish 3-step Kit - Amazon Novus Plastic Polish 3-step Kit - Amazon

You only need to use all three steps for the most damaged plastics you encounter. Step 2 is great for most scratches and the Step 1 is more akin to a RainX or simple sealant.
The following users liked this post:
RMB5190 (10-24-2018)