Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Portable Car Wash Machine

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2015, 03:58 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Portable Car Wash Machine

Just wondering what options might be available for those of us who don't have access to a faucet/hose for car washing purposes. I live in an apartment so I can't use a faucet anywhere.

I found this machine on Amazon and it looks like it has good reviews, so for $150 I might try it out. It usually costs me $9 to get a good car wash anyways so it should pay for itself in a few months. 4.5G should work for a small Coupe (M4). I am unsure if the nozzle can be changed, I sent an e-mail to see if it could be.

Has anyone else used something like this or any other recommendations?

Amazon.com : Ivation Multipurpose Electric Portable Smart Washer Water-Tank w/ Built-In Rechargeable Battery & Integrated Roller Wheels - Perfect for Washing Cars, RVs & Pets; Gentle Enough to Serve as Personal Shower When Camping & Hiking; Convenient & Effective as Lawn & Garden Care Tool : Patio, Lawn & Garden Amazon.com : Ivation Multipurpose Electric Portable Smart Washer Water-Tank w/ Built-In Rechargeable Battery & Integrated Roller Wheels - Perfect for Washing Cars, RVs & Pets; Gentle Enough to Serve as Personal Shower When Camping & Hiking; Convenient & Effective as Lawn & Garden Care Tool : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Old 04-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Mobile. Detail. Service.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:29 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 69 Posts
I'm gonna try out Optimum No Rinse Wash. Been reading up a lot on that. I'm gonna start using it for my in between washes regimen as well as being able to save up on the costs of quick detailer sprays. I hear steam works well too unless you've got a really dirty car.

Some good information on washing without running water:

Old 04-06-2015, 07:07 PM
d0nnoo

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have OCD like me, dont hire a mobile detailer unless you trust him 100%. I definitely recommend ONR (Optimum No Rinse) or any other rinseless wash system. I recently got into washing my car using ONR and i love it. You can pick up a rinseless wash kit here: DI Packages Complete Hose Free Wash Package with ONR | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I bought this kit and have been super happy with the results.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:28 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Mobile. Detail. Service.
Not cost effective ~2x/week. I will go that route every few months for waxing.

Originally Posted by d0nnoo
If you have OCD like me, dont hire a mobile detailer unless you trust him 100%. I definitely recommend ONR (Optimum No Rinse) or any other rinseless wash system. I recently got into washing my car using ONR and i love it. You can pick up a rinseless wash kit here: DI Packages Complete Hose Free Wash Package with ONR | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

I bought this kit and have been super happy with the results.
Couldn't I use the washer machine and put the waterless wash in it with water? That would be ideal (for me). I like cleaning with water, I think it would be easier and more cost effective but will try one of these waterless solutions. I can use this machine around my apartment to clean the outside windows and other things so for $150 I got it anyways. Will post a review once I've used it 2-3 times.
Old 04-07-2015, 02:46 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
So are you going to use this machine + bring 2 buckets with you to wash by hand?

I would honestly go Optimum No Rinse method...I use this product and live at an apt as well and it works wonders. It just sounds like a lot more hassle with the machine. Also please stop going to those drive through car wash (if that's where you're paying 9$ to wash your car).
Old 04-07-2015, 04:44 PM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Originally Posted by quakerroatmeal
So are you going to use this machine + bring 2 buckets with you to wash by hand?

I would honestly go Optimum No Rinse method...I use this product and live at an apt as well and it works wonders. It just sounds like a lot more hassle with the machine. Also please stop going to those drive through car wash (if that's where you're paying 9$ to wash your car).
The carwash is brushless.. and my car's a lease so don't really care. Will try both and if it's too much of a hassle, I have other uses or I can return it.
Old 04-09-2015, 10:53 AM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
130 PSI "maximum" is what this is rated for. Without elaborate testing, I am pretty sure I can drink a quart of water and wizz with the same PSI 2 hours later. Not to brag, but it takes some serious pressure and mad skills to get a 7 foot arch.

Do you have a 12V DC to 120V AC inverter? This would have plenty of other uses and is a common camping item, fits easily in the trunk. One of these and a $89 Stanley electric power washer that produces 1500 PSI would be an idea. I'm not sure if it'd draw suction for supply water or if you'd need a small pump on a 5 gallon bucket of clean water to feed it. Even if, a small electric pump that produces 40-60 PSI would be adequate, like a wind shield washer fluid pump or one used for camping showers. 12V or 120.

If you lived closer, I'd just let you use my driveway and myriad of supplies. Come on, DFW guys, help a brother out.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:40 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

We already gave him options. Onr works perfectly fine. This guy sounds like he doesn't even care about his paint because it's a lease. At that point I'd just go to the coin op car wash and use the brush they have. Max he would spend there is 3$.
Old 04-10-2015, 03:39 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

We already gave him options. Onr works perfectly fine. This guy sounds like he doesn't even care about his paint because it's a lease. At that point I'd just go to the coin op car wash and use the brush they have. Max he would spend there is 3$.
Wow...need coin-ops like yours. Even to wash a beater the coin-op takes about $6-$8 to do a wash unless you do a quick spray and go. But I hear ya on the rest.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:07 AM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

How much is yours? Here it's 1.50$ to start it and you get a minute and a half..another 1.50$ would get you like another 3minutes..I'm very quick and efficient though when it comes to washing cars.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Flakman
Registered Member

How much is yours? Here it's 1.50$ to start it and you get a minute and a half..another 1.50$ would get you like another 3minutes..I'm very quick and efficient though when it comes to washing cars.
It's usually about $2 per interval. Interesting in thinking about the efficiency. When I used the coin-op washes I tried to be very thorough in washing the car. Now that I've gotten into detailing, I realize that being thorough at a coin-op is a bit incongruous. Anyway...I always found it tough to do only two intervals when using a coin-op. If I went any faster I would hit the car with the hose and/or miss spots. So it always took 3 to 4 intervals to get the car clean and rinsed properly. Of course, I would use the brush back then which was probably not the best either.