Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Wheel Cleaners

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 01:14 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,621 Likes on 3,462 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
That's what I use, and I also cut the clay into three equal pieces (w/ a fresh exacto blade, don't want ANY contaminants in the clay bar.) You then spread the clay piece out so you can work an area. The other two pieces you put into a ziplock bag w/ a couple squirts of detail spray to keep it moist. Get a lot more mileage from your clay bar that way.
I always downgrade my claybar pieces as they age, for different application:

1. Most of the car.
2. Windows and Wheels.
3. Side skirts.

Keep the clay in separately marked ziplocks.
Old 10-13-2014, 08:13 PM
Paceship

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Rochester: Any negatives to having detailer overspray on the rotors?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Paceship
Hi Rochester: Any negatives to having detailer overspray on the rotors?
Can't imagine why.
The following users liked this post:
Paceship (10-15-2014)
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 248 Posts
Jump on "wheels cleaner not needed" bandwagon.

Chemicals are simply too harsh unless wheels are in severe shape, also can be strong enough to compromise finish of nearby materials (stuff I used to use faded brake caliper emblems that were OEM).

Soap, water, sponge is all that is generally needed. Wax helps, never heard of claying wheels (should be difficult for contaminant to bond with the wheel moving and all), but if you guys have the time...
Old 10-14-2014, 05:11 AM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
This is the system I use.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:19 AM
blueis300
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
How long or often do you use the Ammo system? At $54 it might sway what I actually use.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:29 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
This is the system I use.
I don't think buying special tire gel as part of a "kit" is netting you anything special. I've tried a number of tire gels over the years, and they're all the same, IMO. Over the last few years, I've settled on Meguiars Tire Gel. Coincidentally, it's also purple, but it smells like grapes. I know... that's kind of weird, but it works really good.

The cleaning process in this video is crazy overkill, IMO. I like the idea of something that turns color because of iron content, but does that really mean it's cleaning it off, or does that just mean there's a chemical reaction with iron? IDK... not a chemist.

Also, notice the bottle sizes and the liberal way he uses the product. You'd be lucky to get two full treatments in before spending another $50 on a second kit.

In the end, it's probably as good or better than other approaches. However, I think there's a point of diminishing return on repeated $50 investments. Just keep your wheels waxed a few times a year, and thoroughly washed when you wash the car. Waxing is a lot easier if you have two full sets of wheels (winter & summer), because you can take detailed care of your off-season rims without the hassle of having them mounted on the car.

Last edited by Rochester; 10-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:06 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by blueis300
How long or often do you use the Ammo system? At $54 it might sway what I actually use.
Like Rochester said, following his process every time can be overkill. Keep in mind that Larry details cars for a living so its his job to over clean cars. I will try to do a full detail like in the video once every few months. I don't do it this way every time. I'll modify my cleaning regiment based on how dirty my wheels are. Usually I'll spray the plum on the wheels and take a brush with a small amount of the soap on it and scrub behind the wheels and the spokes and rinse then clean the rest of the car and put the tire gel on. I rarely use a wash mit on the wheels.

Originally Posted by Rochester
I don't think buying special tire gel as part of a "kit" is netting you anything special. I've tried a number of tire gels over the years, and they're all the same, IMO. Over the last few years, I've settled on Meguiars Tire Gel. Coincidentally, it's also purple, but it smells like grapes. I know... that's kind of weird, but it works really good.
Maybe maybe not. Its just the process I use to give my wheels a good cleaning. I've watched a lot of his YouTube videos of him detailing very high end cars. He has a lot of information about do's and don'ts when it comes to cleaning cars, it is his job after all.

The cleaning process in this video is crazy overkill, IMO. I like the idea of something that turns color because of iron content, but does that really mean it's cleaning it off, or does that just mean there's a chemical reaction with iron? IDK... not a chemist.
It is overkill, but you have to keep in mind that he is a professional detailer, overkill is part of his job. It turns color because of the chemical reaction with the iron. I want to say that he specifically designed it to change color like that, but I don't know for certain. It works well and I have yet to have any issues with it so I'll continue to use it.

Also, notice the bottle sizes and the liberal way he uses the product. You'd be lucky to get two full treatments in before spending another $50 on a second kit.
Just because he uses a liberal about of product doesn't mean that you have to use that much either. In his other videos he tells you to use as much as you need to get the project done, whether its more or less then the amount he uses. He admits that he probably uses too much product when cleaning the car. I bought a set before the meet up last April and I still have about a 1/4 a bottle at least of everything in the kit.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:44 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by '11G37S
I've watched a lot of his YouTube videos of him detailing very high end cars. He has a lot of information about do's and don'ts when it comes to cleaning cars, it is his job after all.
He looks very familiar. I'm sure I've seen his videos before.

No doubt, the man is a pro. And I don't fault you buying the kit, just discussing it is all. Truth is, you've piqued my curiosity with this purple stuff.

Old 10-14-2014, 03:56 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

He looks very familiar. I'm sure I've seen his videos before. No doubt, the man is a pro. And I don't fault you buying the kit, just discussing it is all. Truth is, you've piqued my curiosity with this purple stuff.
He has a lot of knowledge with car cleaners. If I remember correctly, he use to own a couple of car washes and wasn't satisfied with the products available so he went off an learned the chemical processes to make his own. His kits can be kind of expensive, but I've been very satisfied thus far with everything, except his microfiber towels. Give his "Plum" cleaner a shot.
Old 10-14-2014, 05:12 PM
AUR11

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
My process is to spray down the wheel and tire, I spray a diluted APC on the tire and scrub it down and then rinse it off, then I apply a good amount of Sonax and let it do its thing and wait until its turned purple, then I clean the barrels and calipers and then I use a another brush for the face and lug nuts and then I go over the whole thing with a mit (similar process to what he does in the video) I then dry them and apply a coat of Klasse AIO and then sometimes top that with wheel wax and then I apply two coats of Zaino tire shine.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:40 PM
nishfish871

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I like that brush he used more than anything in the video. Wonder where I can get that at?
Old 10-15-2014, 02:04 PM
GAWD

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by nishfish871
I like that brush he used more than anything in the video. Wonder where I can get that at?
I use a brush thats made for getting lint build-up out of your dryer, its long and flexible, the bristles are pretty stiff so it does a great job at scrubbing calipers when the wheels are on the car. Any hardware store, about $5.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:46 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Originally Posted by nishfish871
Not entirely sure, but I can email Larry and ask him if you'd like.
Old 10-16-2014, 10:24 AM
JohnnyD

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Sonax Full Effect is another great wheel cleaner. I think they are the ones who pioneered the color changing, iron releasing cleaner. I have used it with great results on nasty wheels. But the brush you choose also has a lot to do with it.

SONAX Wheel Cleaner, all wheel cleaner, chrome wheel cleaner, aluminum wheel cleaner, full effect wheel cleaner

Not sure which brush your asking about, probably this one. It is a Wheel Woolie. Great brush set, one of my favorites.

Wheel Woolies 3-Piece Kit, wheel cleaning tools, wheel brushes

Looks like his wheel well brush is this one.

Long Handle Tire/Wheel Brush

The lug nut brush he has would be like this.

Lug Nut Brush,Clean Wheel Brush,clean brake calipers, clean lug nuts, boar's hair wheel brush, best wheel brush, wheel lug nuts

And for the faces of the wheel he mentions one of these.

Boar's Hair Wheel Brush

Another good brush is the Speed Master and Speed Master Jr. Although you have to be careful they can splatter you with the product.

Speed Master Wheel Brush

With that being said, if you're an enthusiast, chances are your car is cleaned regularly. And you need nothing more than a dedicated wash mitt and car soap to keep your wheels looking nice. The other stuff is fun but more for neglected cars that don't get the care we give ours!

Yes I am a big fan of Autogeek lol. They have excellent customer service and run deals often. Ordered many times from them with great results. One stop shop for anything detail related.