Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive leather upholstery –

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 04:40 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything you’ll ever want to know about automotive leather upholstery –

– but were too afraid to ask.

Automobile manufacturers have blurred the distinguishing lines on what exactly leather is. Premium leather is the top split of the hide. There are many so-called ‘leathers’ that are actually the bottom split (the fibrous part of the hide) which are covered with a vinyl or urethane coating. Diagnosis is the key, not guess work. Before deciding on what products to use, you need to ascertain the grade of leather and the type of leather finish applied,

Automobile model ranges use different materials for their vehicles interiors; leather upholstery like Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products (Alcantara seat inserts on leather seating) as well as various grades of leather hide, full-grain, top-grain and split –grain (which is protected with urethane) all of which require different products and applications methods

TOGWT® Autopia Detailing Wiki – “Leather Upholstery Type Surface Identification” - http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...fication.html#

“Leather Articles Hyperlinks” http://www.autopia.org/forum/autopia...yperlinks.html

If you have any questions about automotive leather, its care or renovation techniques, please let me know or feel free to send me a PM
Old 12-06-2012, 02:21 PM
BosMaSwaG37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ok, so why don't you save us the time and just tell us which of these hide types Infiniti uses so I can go buy the required treatment for maintenance?
Old 12-07-2012, 06:19 AM
TOGWT

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BosMaSwaG37
Ok, so why don't you save us the time and just tell us which of these hide types Infiniti uses so I can go buy the required treatment for maintenance?
Aniline Immersion Dyed, Aniline Micro Pigmented, (Urethane) Finished, Artificial leather such as MB-Tex and unfinished materials like Synthetics and Alcantara, and sometimes combinations of products

The water drop test is simple enough (a five year old can do it) it will give you an idea of the type of leather finish is used on your vehicles upholstery and you can select an appropriate care product from there

Old 01-06-2013, 04:59 PM
Mrallank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BosMaSwaG37
Just read the link. You'll learn something
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrallank
Just read the link. You'll learn something
https://www.myg37.com/forums/site-fe...me-please.html

In the above link you asked what a troll and a post ***** were because you didn't understand the "lingo". So I'm going to try to explain it to you.

If you read the above quote you posted in this thread. This is the definition of a troll....coming into a thread and contributing nothing but sarcastic and smarta$$ remark to a knowledge based topic you probably know nothing about.

A post ***** is what you're doing right now by posting jibberish on multiple threads just to boost your post count.

Sorry, but I'm pretty sure you know what both definitions are.

Sorry OP for hijacking your thread, and thank you for the links on leather types.