Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Washing YOUR CAR?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Alan318

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Washing YOUR CAR?!

Objective: Get your car as clean as possible with as little to no scratching at all to your clear coat during the process.

Options: Optimum No Rinse. Snow foam w/ pressure rinse. ETC...

I want to know what method you use !!!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Washing:
Gilmour Foamster II foam gun
Various CG shampoos (CG HoneyDew Snow, Maxi Suds II, Citrus Wash and Clear, GlossWorkz)
Chenille MF mitt
Drying:
Weed Eater electric leaf blower
Waffle weave MF drying towel
Old 03-12-2012, 05:48 PM
Samurai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^ LMAO love the leaf blower idea.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by Samurai
It saves a ton of time and also means you have to wipe your car much less with the drying towel = less opportunity to induce swirls.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Samurai

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
It saves a ton of time and also means you have to wipe your car much less with the drying towel = less opportunity to induce swirls.
Interesting *instantly buys leaf blower*
Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM
Domate
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Black Betty, seriously?? I can wash my car all day, but I hate drying it. After you use the blower, how much 'hand wiping' do you perform to have the car completely dry?

Heading to Home Depot now!
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Sheeting water off a waxed car + wafflewave = not much drying. A fraction of the time it takes to wash it.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I thought everyone knew about blow drying the car. Guess not. The one I got was about $30 or so on Amazon.com. Especially if your car has wax or sealant, the water just flies off with a leaf blower. You can also completely dry areas that are impossible to get to with a towel, your engine bay after you wash it down, the crevices of your door handles, rain channels around the trunk and tail lights, the hood cowl, and especially the side mirror housings that always hold water long after you are finished drying with a towel to drip on your door as soon as you start to drive. It is the best $30 you'll spend for washing your car. It helps me to get the majority of the water off of the surface very quickly so that if I have to work when it's somewhat sunny it doesn't leave water spots. After blowing it down, I use the towel just a little bit. Hardly at all.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:25 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Samurai
The leaf blower works great...I've been using it for some time now. You can practically get 90% of the drying done with it.
It works best if you keep your car waxed or polished and sealed well.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:29 PM
BooSa37

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought everyone knew about blow drying the car. Guess not. The one I got was about $30 or so on Amazon.com. Especially if your car has wax or sealant, the water just flies off with a leaf blower. You can also completely dry areas that are impossible to get to with a towel, your engine bay after you wash it down, the crevices of your door handles, rain channels around the trunk and tail lights, the hood cowl, and especially the side mirror housings that always hold water long after you are finished drying with a towel to drip on your door as soon as you start to drive. It is the best $30 you'll spend for washing your car. It helps me to get the majority of the water off of the surface very quickly so that if I have to work when it's somewhat sunny it doesn't leave water spots. After blowing it down, I use the towel just a little bit. Hardly at all.
I do this during the winter months...saves tons of time
Old 03-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Alan318

so back to the point.

Objective: Get your car as clean as possible with as little to no scratching at all to your clear coat during the process.

Options: Optimum No Rinse. Snow foam w/ pressure rinse. ETC...

I want to know what method you use !!!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:05 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I completly agree with BB, forced air is the only way to dry your car, wheels and all. Just keep a MF towel to pick up any stray drops and reduce the chance of scratching the paint. I've been doing this for over 20 years.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Alan318, when you say method are you speaking specifically about the steps of how we physically go about washing the car?

Wet it with a hose. Foam it with the gun. Wet the mitt and wash it a panel at a time starting form the top down. Rinse the mitt out with the hose between panes or anytime it looks visibly dirty. Rinse the car off with the hose. Dry with the leaf blower then the towels.
Old 03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Alan318

Alan318, when you say method are you speaking specifically about the steps of how we physically go about washing the car?

Wet it with a hose. Foam it with the gun. Wet the mitt and wash it a panel at a time starting form the top down. Rinse the mitt out with the hose between panes or anytime it looks visibly dirty. Rinse the car off with the hose. Dry with the leaf blower then the towels.
Yes the steps and what kind of wash that's being used. 2 bucket...foam etc. Black Betty, do you really foam and mit your car for the same wash?
Old 03-12-2012, 11:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I don't use 2 buckets because I use the foam gun so I don't need a soap bucket. I do have a rinse bucket for my wash mitt but I use the hose to wash the mitt out well. Light strokes with only enough pressure to wipe the dirt away, not grind it into the paint. Remove the nozzle for your final rinse and sheet the water over the car, it will pull more water off then spraying a stream.

Quick Reply: Washing YOUR CAR?!