Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Why don't detailers know about "sealant"???

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 01:46 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Clay shouldn't be a standard in my opinion. It isn't always needed, and can strip any protection you have so not worth it if you don't need it. It is very easy to do, but does require time to do the clay then re-wash after you clay.

I would just ask them what kind of wax they use if you're worried about its protection and durability.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Nobes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, okay. Great to know. So, what about no mention of sealant on the "menu"? Is that something that should at least be offered? I will call them and ask them about it as well, of course, but I just wonder when I don't even see it as an option.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:25 PM
G37Vert

If you want a sealant, just tell whomever you hire to apply a sealant. If they don't know what that means fire them.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:44 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Nobes
Thanks for that, but the only one near me still has no listing for sealant. Guess I should call them. But take a look at this menu, seems like every other "detailer" in the area. Clay bar is always some sort of extra. Shouldn't that be standard? Auto Detailing Packages & Pricing | Cars & SUVs | The Toy Wash
If possible Id avoid anyone that doesnt include at least some sort of paint polishing before wax application, especially if your car isnt brand new (and even if it is it might be a good thing to have)

Not sure why clay is only included on their uber-detail, but I always clay before applying wax/sealant. Yes it strips off previous coatings, but when you are paying $250+ for a detail you want to make sure the new stuff has an absolute bare surface to adhere to. Claying and/or polishing does that.

Follow the "find a detailer" link that was posted earlier, or check out auto geek and ask for a detailer in your area. Chances are there are a few good ones nearby, just because they dont have snazzy websites and huge ads doesnt make them good.....most of the businesses and service people Ive used ONLY use word of mouth....they are just that good.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 AM
Nobes

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
If possible Id avoid anyone that doesnt include at least some sort of paint polishing before wax application, especially if your car isnt brand new (and even if it is it might be a good thing to have)

Not sure why clay is only included on their uber-detail, but I always clay before applying wax/sealant. Yes it strips off previous coatings, but when you are paying $250+ for a detail you want to make sure the new stuff has an absolute bare surface to adhere to. Claying and/or polishing does that.

Follow the "find a detailer" link that was posted earlier, or check out auto geek and ask for a detailer in your area. Chances are there are a few good ones nearby, just because they dont have snazzy websites and huge ads doesnt make them good.....most of the businesses and service people Ive used ONLY use word of mouth....they are just that good.
Thanks. I actually did get that place off the "find a detailer" link. I'll check out auto geek. I am so surprised by how hard it is to find a quality detailer, especially when I'm willing to pay whatever it takes.