Z1 has new front upper control arms.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 12:06 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Z1 has new front upper control arms.

Assuming these are too new and nobody has them yet. I just don't want to be the guinea pig.

Priced very reasonably too.

https://www.z1motorsports.com/suspen...ms-p-8534.html
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
Awesome! I may be buying front control arms sooner than anticipated! Any Z1 dealers on here getting better pricing? Group buy??
Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Nice find!
Having the zerk fittings for easy greasing is a nice addition too.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:21 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
wonder how these compare to the SPC arms
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Let me start this post by making it clear: I don't have these.

However, the design looks exactly like the Kinetix ones, which are absolute garbage. Hopefully they're of better quality. If they're not, good luck to anybody using them.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:36 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty

However, the design looks exactly like the Kinetix ones, which are absolute garbage. Hopefully they're of better quality. If they're not, good luck to anybody using them.
that was my first thought as well that they were surprisingly similar to the kinetix one just with a different coating
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

Why do you say the Kinetix are garbage? It looks like the Kinetix are alloy steel and the new Z1's are moly. I definietly would have liked to see some gusseting at the bends on the Z1's.

Trending Topics

Old 09-03-2015, 09:46 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by jfisher
Why do you say the Kinetix are garbage? It looks like the Kinetix are alloy steel and the new Z1's are moly. I definietly would have liked to see some gusseting at the bends on the Z1's.
I bought the Kinetix when they first came out. I took them out of the box, inspected them, and sent them right back. Flimsy light gauge metal. The welds are not excellent, which you'd want for a suspension component. To adjust camber you screw the heim joint in our out. So the strength in the weakest area of that part (the middle) isn't a constant and it seems pretty weak with it screwed out to a normal amount of camber. The design itself is pretty noisy, especially the race ones.

Maybe I'm wrong and these are fantastic. But for my suspension I'd rather feel more sure than "maybe they'll be OK".
Old 09-03-2015, 10:04 AM
jfisher
Registered Member

I bought the Kinetix when they first came out. I took them out of the box, inspected them, and sent them right back. Flimsy light gauge metal. The welds are not excellent, which you'd want for a suspension component. To adjust camber you screw the heim joint in our out. So the strength in the weakest area of that part (the middle) isn't a constant and it seems pretty weak with it screwed out to a normal amount of camber. The design itself is pretty noisy, especially the race ones.

Maybe I'm wrong and these are fantastic. But for my suspension I'd rather feel more sure than "maybe they'll be OK".
Anytime you add a harder bushing material or a solid bushing the NVH is going to increase substantially. Z1 does a good job of calling that out in their description of these new arms. It all comes down to how much you can handle for how much you want to gain. I don't, however, see that as a negative if that's what you're wanting. I can't speak for the flimsy gauge metal or the poor welds, but the design itself I'm not worried about as long as the welds are quality welds. I come from the Mustang world where the same heim joint design is used on the upper and lower control arms in the rear and those things take a beating with some cars cutting as low as 1.0x 60 foot times. I know daily driving is tough on parts, but I don't see the design being an issue.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:55 AM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

I did notice that too. Very similar but not exact. In contact with them via FB and will see what they say. Tried to ask "These aren't rebranded Kinetix?" with more tact. lol
Old 09-03-2015, 01:31 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Here's what I got back:

Yes these are completely from our design and built a little heavier than the Kinetix. We have been testing development designs for over 2 years with no problems. Our test cars do see fairly aggressive abuse jumping curbing at quite a few tracks and Russell's street driving is also a bit over the top. I would say I have more faith in these arms than any other part on the market.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:54 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

I guess I'll be the guinea pig. Just ordered a set. Hope to get them ASAP so I can get this car aligned properly. Ended up being $301.xx after shipping which is the cheapest I've seen for front upper control arms.
The following users liked this post:
TheLocNar (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:52 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Nice. Looking forward to your impressions!
Old 09-22-2015, 01:12 PM
jfisher
Registered Member

Got them last week. They're going in on Saturday. Appear to be very well made arms. A lot beefier than the stock arms for sure.
The following users liked this post:
TheLocNar (09-23-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 01:43 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Did you get them installed?

Quick Reply: Z1 has new front upper control arms.