Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Detailing through multiple days.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Sytrash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing through multiple days.

Hi,
I have some questions on detailing through multiple days. I have tried to detail exterior through one day, but to do it right, at max I can do is wash->clay->one layer of sealant. Took me like 6hrs and I don't have more than that.
What I want to do is wash->clay->2 layers sealant->2 layers carnauba wax.

1) Is it okay to do it across couple days?
2) What's a good place to end the first day? My concern, don't know if it's valid, is that too much dust will be collected from day 1 to day 2. Should I stop after claying at day 1? Should I stop after 1 layer of sealant? If I let sealant dry overnight before buffing off, is that a problem?

Please let me know your experience and your thought.

Thank,
Sy
Old 06-07-2010, 06:49 PM
Dan1

You should be polishing after claying, as 99% of the time claying will be abrasive.

What brand sealant are you using?

2 coats of sealant and 2 coats of wax is pointless to do.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 PM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Assuming the car remains garaged during the process and not driven, just wipe down with a quick detailer each day.

If you are driving it during the process, then you'll need to wash before continuting after driving.

For day 1, get a wash, clay, and sealant on (and buffed off). Don't leave it unprotected especially if you are driving it.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by Dan1
You should be polishing after claying, as 99% of the time claying will be abrasive.

What brand sealant are you using?

2 coats of sealant and 2 coats of wax is pointless to do.
BlackFire Wet Diamond.

Why is it pointless? I like the sealant for protection, but want the Carnauba look.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by Blackjack
Assuming the car remains garaged during the process and not driven, just wipe down with a quick detailer each day.

If you are driving it during the process, then you'll need to wash before continuting after driving.

For day 1, get a wash, clay, and sealant on (and buffed off). Don't leave it unprotected especially if you are driving it.
So, it is recommended to buffed off instead of letting it dry overnight. The waiting for dry part took quite long, I was hoping to wait overnight...

I won't be driving it, so I guess QD is good enough before the rest of the process.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Dan1

Originally Posted by Sytrash
BlackFire Wet Diamond.

Why is it pointless? I like the sealant for protection, but want the Carnauba look.
One coat of each is all you need. Let BF sit on the paint for an hour, then you can apply wax the next day. Leave the car in the garage over night.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by Dan1
One coat of each is all you need. Let BF sit on the paint for an hour, then you can apply wax the next day. Leave the car in the garage over night.
So, you are saying multiple coat of any of them is waste of time?
Old 06-07-2010, 08:48 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
So, it is recommended to buffed off instead of letting it dry overnight. The waiting for dry part took quite long, I was hoping to wait overnight...

I won't be driving it, so I guess QD is good enough before the rest of the process.
definitely don't be leaving the sealant on there to dry! work it into the paint with a good pad then buff it off
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 PM
Dan1

So, you are saying multiple coat of any of them is waste of time?
Yep, pretty much. You aren't going to have 4 layers of protection by applying each one twice. You will have one solid level (sealant) and the wax will be gone pretty quick since its being applied on top of a sealant.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I disagree with Dan about multiple layers of wax. Sure its pointless and a waste of time and product to put 20 layers of carnauba wax on like the Zaino guys do with those products, but 2 coats of wax can have benefits IMO. BWD is a great sealant, it has good protection and great shine. What wax are you using to top the BWD?

Let the sealant cure at least 12 hours as said, then apply the wax. If you do 2 coats, let the first cure as well before adding the second. As was mentioned, if the car is dirty rewash before waxing. If it's not, a wiped own with a QD spray will do between coats.

And what are you doing that a wash/clay/sealant takes you 6 hours? I work pretty slowly and it doesn't take me nearly that long.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:10 PM
Sytrash

Originally Posted by Black Betty
...What wax are you using to top the BWD?

...And what are you doing that a wash/clay/sealant takes you 6 hours? I work pretty slowly and it doesn't take me nearly that long.
I am using Griot's Garage Carnauba stick.

I don't know why/how I took 6 hours, but waiting for the BWD to dry took a chunk. Last time my car was very dirty. I ended up washing it twice. Also, cleaning, claying, Q-tipping, and waxing the rims are pain in the butt. I need better tools, that's one place I know I can improve. But, I only want to invest if I have time to get serious. Right now, let's say, I am not allow to...

I do want to know how you guys do it in a bit of detail, if you don't mind, so I can learn and know what to improve for both time and efficiency.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:27 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

I am using Griot's Garage Carnauba stick.

I don't know why/how I took 6 hours, but waiting for the BWD to dry took a chunk. Last time my car was very dirty. I ended up washing it twice. Also, cleaning, claying, Q-tipping, and waxing the rims are pain in the butt. I need better tools, that's one place I know I can improve. But, I only want to invest if I have time to get serious. Right now, let's say, I am not allow to...

I do want to know how you guys do it in a bit of detail, if you don't mind, so I can learn and know what to improve for both time and efficiency.
If you are waiting for BWD to dry in warm weather, you are putting way too much on. By the time you finish applying it to a panel it should be dry enough for you to wipe down and move on the the next one.

As far as time savings, make sure that you are thoroughly prepared before you begin. All tools, supplies, and equipment ready and handy. Have a small cooler with your drinks nearby for short breaks so you don't have to stop and go inside. Spend $25 on a rolling detailer's stool to get around quicker and lessen back fatigue. Spend $30 on a cheap leaf blower (if you don't have one) so you can blow the excess water off and cut your drying time down. Tape off parts you don't want sealant/wax to get on if you're not good and efficient at working close to edges without getting product in the wrong place.

That's a few, hope it helps.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:09 PM
cruzmisl

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Rolling stool is perfect! I don't know why I never thought of that.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BB pretty much has it covered. One thing I will add though is that I would highly recommend your sealant cure for 24 hours before applying your Carnuba.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by cruzmisl
Rolling stool is perfect! I don't know why I never thought of that.
Here you are:

Pneumatic Adjustable Roller Seat
or
http://www.craftsman.com/shc/s/p_101...1164000P?mv=rr

Exact same stool.

I just found this too. I may get it, it looks handy.

Rolling Knee Pads