Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Sealants Sealants Sealants

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 11:11 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sealants Sealants Sealants

So I am about to my a paint sealant for the first time, I have been using waxes only up to this point. I was wondering What I should get. I was looking at Menzerna FMJ and Jet Seal but I alsso noticed Menzerna has a brand new Sealant calledPower Lock and they also have another one called Acrylic Jacket. Which do you guys recommend.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:15 AM
Blackjack
Super Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GT35R
So I am about to my a paint sealant for the first time, I have been using waxes only up to this point. I was wondering What I should get. I was looking at Menzerna FMJ and Jet Seal but I alsso noticed Menzerna has a brand new Sealant calledPower Lock and they also have another one called Acrylic Jacket. Which do you guys recommend.
I'm a huge fan of Menzerna Products. I use FMJ. I haven't used Powerlock since it's new and I haven't tried Acrylic Jacket either. I think you are fine if you stick with Menzerna producst. I use FMJ because it is easy to use and provides superb durability especially when you combine with a carnuba wax on top.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:17 AM
GT35R
Registered Member

I am also a big fan of Menzerna. All my polishes and there brand and I use their Glaze.
Old 03-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Loi

Blackfire Wet Diamond is the new big thing right now.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:07 PM
redfoster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do any of these affect the self-healing clear coat?
Old 03-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
^ No, they will not affect the self healing clear coat.

Like Blackjack (and others), I am also a huge fan of Menzerna products. Their FMJ sealant is simply fantastic. I have not used their Power Lock yet, but I will be in the near future.
Old 03-25-2010, 12:49 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
^ No, they will not affect the self healing clear coat.

Like Blackjack (and others), I am also a huge fan of Menzerna products. Their FMJ sealant is simply fantastic. I have not used their Power Lock yet, but I will be in the near future.
I agree with all the above. Go to detail image and get the FMJ. I love it.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:39 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I use Zaino Z-AIO and Z2.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
I had a chance to use Power Lock over the weekend on the G but I wasn't able to get any pictures. I'll give it a wash and snap some photos this weekend and report back on the water beading and how easy it is to maintain.

So far I can say. It's very easy to apply and remove (just like FMJ was). It leaves the surface feeling pretty slick, but I may give the edge to FMJ. The look was very deep and glossy, closer to a carnauba wax than FMJ was able to achieve. The unknown factor for me at this point is the durability, so I'll report back on that once it begins to fade.

Both Menzerna sealants and the mentioned Wet Diamond are some of my favorite sealants. FMJ is being discontinued and we have it at a great price right now, so if you were a fan, stock up because you won't be able to find it in the not to distant future.

Hope this helps.

PS - If there is enough interest, I'd consider offering some 4oz samples of Power Lock to try. I'll figure out the details after, but let me know if you guys would be interested. This would be a MyG37 exclusive thing.
Old 03-25-2010, 01:50 PM
Raizon

All the sealants on Detailedimage are great stuff. Zaino are also top notch stuff.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have used the FMJ and like it but it looks more shiny and reflective than glossy and deep. It's a matter of preference of which you personally prefer. I also like the Wet Diamond by Blackfire very much, it's a lot like FMJ but looks more like a carnauba (gloss and depth). I have Jet Seal and have heard nothing but raves about it, but like the other 2 so well I haven't used it yet.

One thing to remember before using the sealant on your car: Get all the wax that you put on it off before applying sealant. Otherwise it can't really bond to the paint and cure properly and give you the long term protection. To get all the wax off, just mix water and 70% isopropyl alcohol in a 50/50 solution. Put it in a spray bottle and spray it on a panel at a time and wipe to off with a SOFT microfiber cloth. This will strip off all the wax and leave the clear coat ready to be sealed.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:36 PM
swordsman54

You should also look at Megs M21. It's on the Detailed Image site, and it works pretty well. I've been using it for about a year now, and the car looks amazing after each time I use it. Also, it does a great job of not collecting dust on my car, which isn't something that I can say for the carnauba waxes that I have been using as well...