Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help!! Gunk on '09 paint...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM
dsindm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! Gunk on '09 paint...

I found a long, uneven streak of oily gunk on the passenger side of the car yesterday, looks like the right front wheel got into some oily or tarry substance and trailed a stream of it backward.

What are the best ways to:

(1) Get the stuff off without damaging the paint,

-and-

(2) If needed, rewaxing or otherwise restoring the surface area where the gunk was removed, without making the job bigger than it has to be?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dsindm; 05-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dsindm
I found a long, uneven streak of oily gunk on the passenger side of the car yesterday, looks like the right front wheel got into some oily or tarry substance and trailed a stream of it backward.

What are the best ways to:

(1) Get the stuff off without damaging the paint,

-and-

(2) If needed, rewaxing or otherwise restoring the surface area where the gunk was removed, without making the job bigger than it has to be?

Thanks in advance.
Well there are a few things that are mild to try first. Poorboys World Bug Squash (bug/tar remover) in a diluted concentration might be a good thing to try first. If that doesn't take all of it off, you could hit it with a fine grade clay bar with plenty of lubricant. I think with the combination of those 2 things, you should be all cleaned up in an instant. Of course remember to re-seal or re-wax the clayed areas.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
I would use CG Bug Bugger & Tar Remover. It works wonders on my car!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 PM
KnoxvilleG37

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Goonz
I would use CG Bug Bugger & Tar Remover. It works wonders on my car!

Your link sends you to Maxi Suds LOL. Fixed it for you...here's the correct link to that product: http://www.detailedimage.com/Chemica...P277/16-oz-S1/
Old 05-12-2009, 08:51 PM
iLlmAtIc21390

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The key to safe and effective detailing is to loosen the stubborn contaminants before washing the surface. Simply spray the safe and yet strong Chemical Guys Bug Bugger & Tar Remover on heavy build ups like the gunk you mentioned and let it sit for at least 1 - 2 minutes. Then agitate the build up with soft sponge such as the Lake Country Blue Grout Sponge. The reason I would choose the Lake Country Blue Grout sponge is cause I find that it scrubs better while being gentle on the paint. This saves you from endless scrubbing and potentially adding micro-scratches to the paint by scrubbing the paint too hard. This makes washing much safer and more effective. Then you want to wash your car with something such as Chemical Guys Maxi suds. Then dry your car with a Quality Waffle weave microfiber towel. If that doesn't work the next step would be to use a fine grade clay bar such as the Clay Magic Fine Grade Clay bar and Poorboy's Spray & Wipe as your lubricant. Remember claying removes any protection you have on the paint so following up with a proper sealant and wax is recommended.

Last edited by iLlmAtIc21390; 05-12-2009 at 09:17 PM.