Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

Help Simple Wash/Wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 02:22 AM
Rodzilla

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simple Wash/Wax?

I just got my 08 Athens Blue back from the midwest and need to give it a good wash/wax. I was hoping to use existing wash/wax goods that I already have and wanted to make sure there won't be any issues I might run into, especially given the car's soft paint and wanting to avoid paint swirls. Sorry if all of this has been answered before, but I tried to read some of the other threads and couldn't really make much sense of them.

Here's what I was going to use:

-- Wash --
I was just going to run by AutoZone and pick up some basic soap + sponge. Any suggestions for someone on a budget who isn't looking to take his car to the show room?

-- Wax --
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
If I use an orbital power buffer will that cause swirls? Should I apply/remove wax by hand?

-- Leather --
BlueMagic Leather & Vinyl Cleaner spray

-- Wheels --
Black Magic Wheel Cleaner
Old 03-20-2009, 02:24 AM
aliiin
BMW Defector

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
do not use a sponge, you'll cause swirl marks up the azz... what's your budget? i'd recommend a grit guard, using a 2 bucket system... that shouldn't break the bank too hard, and use microfiber towels and waffle weave towels...
Old 03-20-2009, 02:47 AM
Rodzilla

What should I use instead of a sponge then...?

Budget...while this will make everyone cringe, right now it's as cheap as possible.
Old 03-20-2009, 02:54 AM
G2Envy

You should check out the Mr. Clean Auto Dry. Does a pretty good job of drying the car without having to wipe it down. Just one less way of getting swirls on the car.
Old 03-20-2009, 03:56 AM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Originally Posted by Rodzilla
I just got my 08 Athens Blue back from the midwest and need to give it a good wash/wax. I was hoping to use existing wash/wax goods that I already have and wanted to make sure there won't be any issues I might run into, especially given the car's soft paint and wanting to avoid paint swirls. Sorry if all of this has been answered before, but I tried to read some of the other threads and couldn't really make much sense of them.

Here's what I was going to use:

-- Wash --
I was just going to run by AutoZone and pick up some basic soap + sponge. Any suggestions for someone on a budget who isn't looking to take his car to the show room?

-- Wax --
Meguiar's Cleaner Wax
If I use an orbital power buffer will that cause swirls? Should I apply/remove wax by hand?

-- Leather --
BlueMagic Leather & Vinyl Cleaner spray

-- Wheels --
Black Magic Wheel Cleaner
Detailedimage.com.. basically anything on there you can use.. lol. DON'T USE A SPONGE!!!!

But I feel you on the budget. When I first got my car I was on a budget for car products so I bought some stuff that would just get me by and it's working out good but I'll be getting some more professional products from detailedimage pretty soon.

For wash right now I use Meguiar's Gold class car wash soap (can be found and at most local department stores... Walmart, autozone, etc.)

I use a microfiber wash mitt at the moment... I notice that it puts tiny swirls once in a while, that's why i'll be getting the sheepskin mitt from DI.

For drying I either use a leaf blower to get most water off the car as possible (recommended by BJ) and then I use a microfiber towel to wipe the paint dry. A waffle weave microfiber towel is way better and can be found on detailedimage.com

For wax I currently use Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax (also can be found wherever the meguiar's gold class can be found). It does a very good job at first but however it does not last long. It last mostly about 2-3 days.

Hopefully some more people chime in as they know more about professional car products.. (BB and BJ...lol) but you should really use some higher end quality products on your car to have the best results.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:08 PM
GT35R
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rodzilla
What should I use instead of a sponge then...?

Budget...while this will make everyone cringe, right now it's as cheap as possible.
Try to get a Sheepskin mit. Ive seen those at Pepboys before. They are much softer and safer on the paint. Do not use a sponge. I did that my first time and i added swirls to the paint.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:17 PM
Rodzilla

I dropped $40 at autozone and got:

2 x 4gal buckets
2 x microfiber mitts
2 x Microfiber windshield/glass cleaning towels
1 x RainX spray bottle
1 x Glass Cleaner bottle
1 x Turtle Wax
1 x Microfiber Waxing towel
1 x Microfiber drying towel
1 x Concentrated Car Wash Soap

Good deal

Thanks for the advice on DetailedImage.com and the mitts!