Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

normal / not normal

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
PSYH
Post Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well first of all, are they raised or indented? If they are in fact "pits" then it can't be rail dust or overspray.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:24 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
FWIW, I have the exact same thing. They are so very tiny hat they are very hard to see unless you are an inch or 2 from the car. I used the same equipment/products as the OP (PC, SIP, PO106FF) I too didn't notice for certain if they were there before my first detail. No sand damage here.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:44 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not overspray. I've painted cars before and I know what that is. No, these are indentions and you cant feel them.

Originally Posted by psyh
Well first of all, are they raised or indented? If they are in fact "pits" then it can't be rail dust or overspray.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:50 PM
last lemming

My feeling is that I must have done this in the buffing. I did as all the directions tell you and all the advice from this forum and the detailedimage forum, but I'm not sure what I could have done wrong to cause the problem?

After completely cleaning car I started with an orange pad and SIP. Dabbed the polish around the pushed the polish around the area I was going to polish. Then I started it on 3 (PC 7424) and got the polish worked in. Then I set the polisher to 5 and did the med pressure in the left right then up down thing about about 1-3 inches per second. Did the whole routine again except with just the pressure from the machine doing the work. Then wipped off excess with micorfiber. Did the whole car this way then did it again with white pad and p106ff.

Originally Posted by last lemming
It's not overspray. I've painted cars before and I know what that is. No, these are indentions and you cant feel them.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

They can't be polished out, I've tried Power Gloss, SIP, and PO106FF and they are still there. After I glaze, seal, and wax, they are hardly noticeable though.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:30 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
FWIW, I have the exact same thing. They are so very tiny hat they are very hard to see unless you are an inch or 2 from the car. I used the same equipment/products as the OP (PC, SIP, PO106FF) I too didn't notice for certain if they were there before my first detail. No sand damage here.

You have had your car a while longer I think? Has it got any worse each time you buffed. I just went out and looked real close at mine since I have been polishing it lately and I either don't have the same think or it is so small/minor that I can not tell.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:40 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by hamdavid
You have had your car a while longer I think? Has it got any worse each time you buffed. I just went out and looked real close at mine since I have been polishing it lately and I either don't have the same think or it is so small/minor that I can not tell.
I haven't noticed it getting any worse. It's so very tiny that you really have to look to notice it but it's there. When it's well waxed I don't see it.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM
last lemming

The only way I can see mine is if I have a single sorce of light - say a strong flashlight - and the car has to be perfectly clean or else the dust will confuse you. Then you have to focus on the surface of the car moving your head back and forth letting the reflection of the light pass over the car and watching it closely. I know, sounds crazy but that's the only way I can "find" them.

If I caused it I just wish I new what I did.

If anybody else used this system on a black car please check your ride and let me know if you have the same results.

Originally Posted by hamdavid
Old 12-08-2008, 10:01 PM
NIGHTLFEphantom

Old 12-08-2008, 10:07 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by last lemming
The only way I can see mine is if I have a single sorce of light - say a strong flashlight - and the car has to be perfectly clean or else the dust will confuse you. Then you have to focus on the surface of the car moving your head back and forth letting the reflection of the light pass over the car and watching it closely. I know, sounds crazy but that's the only way I can "find" them.

If I caused it I just wish I new what I did.

If anybody else used this system on a black car please check your ride and let me know if you have the same results.
Have used the same and a little stronger, and went out again just now with the method you suggested and can't see anything other than a mirrored finish. Hope you and BB figure it out.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:30 AM
BiskitG37

What's really strange is that you said they're evenly spaced - hard to believe you were that good to do that .

Has anyone else seen this in a different paint color - I haven't seen this with VR. Maybe something off with the BO painting process?
Old 12-09-2008, 09:26 AM
CHI-TOWN G37

Originally Posted by psyh
I have seen in the past hot rail dust melt into the clear coat creating the pits. The protective paint vinyls applied at the factory and peeled off by the dealer usually protect the areas most likely to get damaged. If the pitting is in the areas where the protective vinyl was removed then you got something that happened after delivery. Oh well. Hope you get it figured out.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM
last lemming

Whne I say "evenly space" I mean they vary a little - like between .5" - 2" from one another.

Originally Posted by BiskitG37
What's really strange is that you said they're evenly spaced - hard to believe you were that good to do that .

Has anyone else seen this in a different paint color - I haven't seen this with VR. Maybe something off with the BO painting process?
Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Detailed Image
Auto Detailing Expert

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts
My guess on the topic is that the imperfections were there from the start and polishing the paint just helped reveal the pitting as your cleaned up the clear coat. The abrasives in the Menzerna polishes you were using are incredibly small, to make it pit the paint would require more than just running a buffer with it, especially just using a PC. It could be that your clear coat never fully cured from the factory and those pits are due to the out gassing process. It seems odd that they are evenly spaced.

I've had random imperfections show up sometimes when using a rotary buffer, but that generates a lot more heat than a PC ever could. Sometimes you can even hear the paint pop when it's hot enough.

George
Old 12-09-2008, 11:45 AM
last lemming

You're probably right. The only other think I thought might be possible is that the clear coat could be spalling off due to the shear of the buffer where the the clear might be weak - I don't know, maybe I'm reaching too far. I cant see how a PC could do it either.

Quick Reply: normal / not normal