Car Care & Detailing Washing, waxing, cleaning, caring.

normal / not normal

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 07:01 PM
last lemming

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
normal / not normal

Maybe its me or maybe I've been had and I don't know it. I bought my car OB with 1800 miles on itfrom an Infinity dealer. When its shined up and in the right light it looks like there is little paint flecks in the paint, but it's NOT flecks it little microscopic pits - all over the car and equally spaced. I don't believe its been in the wreck (carfax says NO - I know you can still be in a wreck and not be on carfax, but it doubt it). Is this normal for all cars. I looked at my wifes white Audi and I can't seem to find any. It just seems if the car had been in a wreck that required the car to be totally repained there would be some info on it. But there are no signs of being repainted, i.e. taped off areas, overspray, etc.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 PM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
not normal and yes weird
Old 12-02-2008, 07:03 PM
nogoodname
Banned

that's weird.....possible to get some pics or would the camera not be able to capture it
Old 12-02-2008, 07:04 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Weird, maybe you can take pics of it? If its in one spot of the car then maybe you can be a little suspicious, but it is all over. I doubt they would repaint the whole car for whatever reason. Even if they did; it would be unethical for the dealer to sell it to you without telling you that.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:17 PM
last lemming

I could try but I don't think it would be easy, they are very small and end up looking like small flecks of dust. I've dome some internet research and it seems many cars have had this problem to varying degrees. The pits arn't super noticable unless in the right light, but you can see them if you put your nose to the car. I did polish my car with Menzurna products and PC 7424, and I did read that it might be possible to do this with polishing. I used SIP/ orange and p106ff/white. I hope I didn't f'up the clear. I don't know if the pits were ther before the polishing

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
that's weird.....possible to get some pics or would the camera not be able to capture it
Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 PM
last lemming

the car is used, so I don't know what rules apply to disclosure.

Originally Posted by oOmikeyboy
Weird, maybe you can take pics of it? If its in one spot of the car then maybe you can be a little suspicious, but it is all over. I doubt they would repaint the whole car for whatever reason. Even if they did; it would be unethical for the dealer to sell it to you without telling you that.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
nogoodname
Banned

that totally sucks, just ask the dealer about it

how recently did you buy the car??
Old 12-02-2008, 07:58 PM
last lemming

the car is only 3 month old to me but it had a previous owner. Man I should have bought new, but I got a good deal, and well, here I am. . .

Originally Posted by nogoodname007
that totally sucks, just ask the dealer about it

how recently did you buy the car??
Old 12-02-2008, 08:03 PM
nogoodname
Banned

bring it to a detailer to check it out and ask them what can fix it b/c

"you need to identify the problem then find a solution and FIX IT !!!!" as said on SNL
Old 12-02-2008, 09:14 PM
oOmikeyboy
Florida G35 Club, Premier Member

Originally Posted by last lemming
I could try but I don't think it would be easy, they are very small and end up looking like small flecks of dust. I've dome some internet research and it seems many cars have had this problem to varying degrees. The pits arn't super noticable unless in the right light, but you can see them if you put your nose to the car. I did polish my car with Menzurna products and PC 7424, and I did read that it might be possible to do this with polishing. I used SIP/ orange and p106ff/white. I hope I didn't f'up the clear. I don't know if the pits were ther before the polishing
If you used a PC on it maybe that made the little pits?? try getting another professional detailer's opinion, maybe they can identify what it really is
Old 12-02-2008, 10:04 PM
HamstersG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by last lemming
I can't believe you did it with the 7424 and SIP. I just did this https://www.myg37.com/forums/showpos...36&postcount=4 and many others have done the same and more and I have seen no reported "pitting". Maybe one of the professional detailers will chime in...
Old 12-08-2008, 03:35 PM
ObsidianGT

When you said pitting, at first I was thinking that perhaps it was from sand damage. I'm very familiar with it growing up in the Palm Springs area. Sand damage on the paint can be fixed with professional polishing, depending on the severity of the damage.

Sand damage usually occurs only on the front bumper, front fenders, front windshield, and front side of the side mirrors; pretty obvious if you think about it. Also noticeable would be on the chrome grille -- check it out to see if there is small pitting. Sand damage can occur from the sides too if the wind was blowing in the right direction, I suppose. Usually the rear bumper would be fine, though.

Do you think it might be sand damage?

The only other thing I could think of is that you did it when you polished the car.
Old 12-08-2008, 04:19 PM
CHI-TOWN G37

Google "Rail dust" and see if this may be your issue. Spots will not appear rust color on your BO paint.
Old 12-08-2008, 05:47 PM
last lemming

While I cant rule out "rail dust" I doubt it. The pits are equally spaced all over the car, even on the verticle spaces. If the dust fell from a trains roof then it would tend to collect on the horizontal surfaces.

Its not sand either, but small pits, very shallow but deep enough to only be seen if the light refracts off them at just the right angle. For instance, in the day time you cannot seem, only at night with a single source of light like a shop light or flashlight.

Originally Posted by CHI-TOWN G37
Google "Rail dust" and see if this may be your issue. Spots will not appear rust color on your BO paint.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Stanced370Z

Your problem my friend is definitely overspray. You need to get a pro detailer to wetsand and buff the entire car. I doubt its from the dealership repainting the car, but the car was definitely in an area where someone was using paint.

Quick Reply: normal / not normal