Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

G37x vs xS - Help deciding on Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 PM
gaescl
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G37x vs xS - Help deciding on Sedan

I'm considering buying a family member's g37x but also considering a g37xS (sport) available nearby. Would appreciate some opinions and guidance.

The cars in question
  • 2013 g37x sedan, 49k miles, silver, 3 owners, $13
  • 2011 g37xS sedan, 128k miles, black, 2 owners, $10
TLDR - should I risk the higher mileage, pre-2012 revision in order to get the Sport model (and save a bit of money)? Or play it safe on lower mileage 2013 non-Sport?

Sorry for the long post
I know you guys can't tell me which to buy but I like the sport model and am looking to your collective wisdom to help me decide. The sport seems quite rare and I like the bolstered seats and the fact that it has nav while the non-S does not. Not sure how much use the paddles really are. Both cars drive very nice and to the best of my knowledge have no accidents or damage - per carfax and what I could tell from my own cursory inspection. The Sport has a noise at speed that may be uneven tire wear -dealer is doing their inspection now. BTW, I have decided on awd as I live in a snowy area - will consider winter tires too.

The 11 g37xS is cheaper and has been mostly serviced at infiniti dealers (some valvoline oil changes). 2nd owner owned it for 4 years and nearly exclusively serviced at Infiniti dealers (13 service records at Infiniti, 2 at a nissan dealer). 19k mi/yr average for that owner and oil changes at 4k mile intervals at Infiniti. There are fairly clear indications of a highway mileage bias on the vehicle which I hope counts for something ... plenty of small gravel chips to the paint on the hood/headligts/radiator fins etc

I called the Infinity dealer and a service advisor told me he remembers the car and walked me through the service history. There was a shift concern that I think was solved by a TCM program update. Other than that, no serious issues. I asked him about the infamous rear timing chain cover gasket (paper in 09-11?). He said no work had been done on that (I had hoped it had been replaced with the metal gasket on the 12 and 13 models).

He acknowledged it could be an issue but confided in me that in his experience only affects maybe 1 of every 30 g37's and that reports/concerns online may be disproportionate to the prevalence of the problem in the real world. He suggested that I could have an oil pressure test done but that it may not be foolproof in catching a gasket that is ready to blow. He said the repair could be $3-4k - maybe cheaper at an independent shop. Infinity service adviser at another dealership said check the front drive shaft and the water pump.

I think it's a good indication that the vehicle was a trade in to another luxury brand's dealership and they put it on the lot. They are doing their own inspection now. Told them I'd like to have my own PPI. But not sure I want to drop $180 at Infiniti if you guys warn me off the car though.

The 2013 base model is more of a known quantity. Current owner is a family member (will buy a q50 next) She's owned it from 18k - 49k miles. All maintenance done at well regarded used car shop that specializes in 1-owner off lease luxury cars with flawless carfax reports.

Sorry for the long ramble - thanks for reading. One way or another, I think I'll be driving a g37 soon. Hope someone can weigh in. Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome!
I'd lean toward the 13, if it was an XS Coupe that would tilt toward the 11 but the Sedan doesn't get as many goodies as the Coupe in the XS trim. And that oil passage gasket is another item in your favor w/ the 13, and you seem to know more about that car.
At any rate, good luck w/ your choice and let us know how it goes and if you "Officially" become a member of the club

As far as that gasket repair, it's typically in the $1500 range at Nissan shops and about $500 more w/ Infiniti shops from most of the data around here, but YMMV.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:42 PM
gaescl
Registered Member

Yeah, I am leaning toward the 13 (non-S). If I understand right, sedan version of Sport doesn't get big brakes, stiffer sway bars that the coupe does - could always add those myself. Even possibly paddle shifters? Would like to find a way to ad Navi or an alternative 3rd party option to give me e.g. Android Auto. Will look into what others here have come up with.

Your $1500-2k figure is a bit easier to swallow if I do need the gasket repair.

Will let everyone know when I'm officially part of the club
Oh and thanks for the "nudge"
The following users liked this post:
blnewt (07-04-2019)
Old 07-04-2019, 08:12 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Originally Posted by gaescl
Sedan version of Sport doesn't get big brakes,
It does and doesn't. The x has single piston slider callipers up front, and the xs has slightly larger pads with 2 piston slider callipers. Not a BBK, but better than the x.

I believe the shocks were better for some years on the xs, but nothing crazy. Definitely go with the x. I basically upgraded my x to an xs and beyond for not that much money. Maintenance alone, you will save yourself money in the long run with the newer car. Also, black is gorgeous, but the biggest pain in the *** maintain, while the silver doesn't show dirt as much and is much easier on the eyes if there are scratches or something. Also, knowing the owner and her driving style, you have peace of mind that nothing is being covered up.
Old 07-05-2019, 01:27 AM
PNW_IPL
Registered Member

Received 543 Likes on 435 Posts
Newer less mileage less headache. No matter how well the older car was taken care of parts will break with time and mileage. Your taking a huge gamble on any president 2012 vq motor. Not worth the risk.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:50 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Get the 2013.

It's a lower mileage car with a known history. With the exclusion of useless flappy paddles, it has the identical drive train and suspension as the xS.

Absolutely upgrade the swaybars with any aftermarket brand, doesn't really matter which. The change will be significant, for a relatively inexpensive mod. Then buy some new wheels & tires, with consideration to wheels that don't showcase the non-sport brakes, so 15-spokes maybe. Drop it gently on Swift springs, and call it a win.

You don't really need integrated Nav. And yes the sport seats are nice, but shouldn't be enough to influence this decision.

Last edited by Rochester; 07-05-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:19 AM
gaescl
Registered Member

Originally Posted by hexotic
It does and doesn't. The x has single piston slider callipers up front, and the xs has slightly larger pads with 2 piston slider callipers. Not a BBK, but better than the x.

I believe the shocks were better for some years on the xs, but nothing crazy. Definitely go with the x. I basically upgraded my x to an xs and beyond for not that much money. Maintenance alone, you will save yourself money in the long run with the newer car. Also, black is gorgeous, but the biggest pain in the *** maintain, while the silver doesn't show dirt as much and is much easier on the eyes if there are scratches or something. Also, knowing the owner and her driving style, you have peace of mind that nothing is being covered up.
Thanks hexotic

Trending Topics

Old 07-05-2019, 02:21 PM
gaescl
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Then buy some new wheels & tires, with consideration to wheels that don't showcase the non-sport brakes, so 15-spokes maybe. Drop it gently on Swift springs, and call it a win.
Originally Posted by PNW_IPL
Newer less mileage less headache. No matter how well the older car was taken care of parts will break with time and mileage. Your taking a huge gamble on any president 2012 vq motor. Not worth the risk.
Thanks guys. Nearly certain I'm going for the 2013.

I believe it does have the 15 spoke wheels
It's these wheels. xS has these 10 spoke Enkei wheels.

Will try for an inspection today on the 2013. Anything specific I should have them look for?

Thanks
Old 07-05-2019, 03:30 PM
gord27
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
All good info above but I wouldn't call the paddles useless. Many of us use them almost exclusively. I've only had manual cars before this so having that control was a requirement for me when I bought the car. In hindsight, I should have got the 6 speed but I was convinced I needed AWD after going back to FWD for 2 years and struggling in the snow.

What hexotic said was news to me. I just upgraded my brakes on my xS and the mechanic initially received the wrong brakes stating something about receiving the US rotors and they're different sizes than the Canadian model. I should have asked whether they were bigger or smaller.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:57 PM
cmckenzie15
Registered Member

Received 57 Likes on 33 Posts
Definitely go with the X. There is minimal differences and you can choose what portions you want from the sport line. I am in the process along with a lot of other members of making an X into a sport trim how you want. Paddle Shifters you can find easily with the surround for a couple hundred, they’re plug in play. Biggest difference is the front bumper in my opinion. You can find BBKs for good prices if you want to add them.