Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Worth it to buy CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:59 PM
rayw914

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Worth it to buy CPO?

Hey guys,

Currently in the market for a 2013 G37 sedan. Can't seem to find any G37S after a couple months but I'll need to buy soon.

I found two identical sedans both at 29,000 miles...

One is at a private used car lot with good Yelp reviews and they've priced it at around $17,500 which I can probably negotiate a bit on.

The other is from a Infiniti dealership and they priced it at $19,998. No haggling on the price.

Would it be worth it to buy the CPO one? Are these prices high? I checked KBB and it said fair market was around $17k to $20k since they're low miles.

Thanks!
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rayw914
Hey guys,

Currently in the market for a 2013 G37 sedan. Can't seem to find any G37S after a couple months but I'll need to buy soon.

I found two identical sedans both at 29,000 miles...

One is at a private used car lot with good Yelp reviews and they've priced it at around $17,500 which I can probably negotiate a bit on.

The other is from a Infiniti dealership and they priced it at $19,998. No haggling on the price.

Would it be worth it to buy the CPO one? Are these prices high? I checked KBB and it said fair market was around $17k to $20k since they're low miles.

Thanks!
How long is the warranty on the CPO? I have a 2011 xs sedan I bought with 108k on the dash just under a year ago, currently at 142k, no major issues.

I haven't heard of anything catastrophically failing within the first 100kkm/60k miles so, if the warranty is like 2-3 years or 100k miles, I'd just skip on it and save 3k. That's just my personal take. However for 3k you do get peace of mind, and if you drive more and it's like 3 years and 150k miles then it might be worth it.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:46 AM
KungFooFireman
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I have a CPO and my warranty is unlimited miles for 3 years. To me it was worth it, even though I like to do most work on my cars myself as I don't trust dealerships. BUT, there is a lot of "new to me" stuff on this vehicle so I needed a little piece of mind.
Old 02-23-2018, 08:48 AM
zaz
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KungFooFireman
I have a CPO and my warranty is unlimited miles for 3 years. To me it was worth it, even though I like to do most work on my cars myself as I don't trust dealerships. BUT, there is a lot of "new to me" stuff on this vehicle so I needed a little piece of mind.
^100% agree here, if I could get 3 year unlimited mileage CPO warranty for $3k I would, in a heartbeat.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Is the used one still under warranty? If it is then you could always purchase the extended warranty afterward and it would probably still be cheaper than the CPO if you go to the right dealer (I was looking at extending my warranty and the local dealer wanted twice as much as Courtney from Infiniti of Scottsdale quoted me after reading here that others went to her). I would still recommend having a shop check it out. Find a local shop and ask if you can bring a car by to look over before you purchase. If the local dealer says no then I'd be weary of them and the car. Of course ask for a carfax AND autocheck. I've seen things on an autocheck that didn't show on a carfax. Yelp reviews can be faked so keep that in mind.

Aside from the warranty and the full vehicle inspection that comes with it (also take with a grain of salt as my dealer checked off HYBRID in my inspection sheet ) the main reason I bought CPO was piece of mind. I'd rather go to a dealership or Infiniti themselves if there were an issue. GL!
Old 08-06-2018, 04:41 AM
Leardriver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I buy Japanese cars so that a warranty isn't necessary. Cars are a consumable, depreciating asset, and making them more expensive doesn't help.
You guys are willing to pay a lot for old cars. Bring your 19K to my house, and you can have my 2015 Q40 AWD with 42k miles on it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Leardriver:
JohnnysG (12-05-2018), takemorepills (08-13-2018)
Old 08-06-2018, 12:45 PM
NealP
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Leardriver
I buy Japanese cars so that a warranty isn't necessary. Cars are a consumable, depreciating asset, and making them more expensive doesn't help.
You guys are willing to pay a lot for old cars. Bring your 19K to my house, and you can have my 2015 Q40 AWD with 42k miles on it.
So if I buy it from you and the oil pan starts leaking are you going to replace it for $50? That's all I had to pay when mine did even though it was past the manufacturers warranty cause it was still under the 6yr CPO warranty. I knew when I was looking to buy that I'd have the car for a while so it was worth spending a little more for coverage and piece of mind.

If this is anywhere near accurate then it probably paid for itself:

The average cost for an Infiniti G37 engine oil pan replacement is between $1407 and $1676. Labor costs are estimated between $1020 and $1288 while parts are priced between $387 and $388.
Old 08-06-2018, 01:23 PM
Leardriver

Originally Posted by NealP
So if I buy it from you and the oil pan starts leaking are you going to replace it for $50? That's all I had to pay when mine did even though it was past the manufacturers warranty cause it was still under the 6yr CPO warranty. I knew when I was looking to buy that I'd have the car for a while so it was worth spending a little more for coverage and piece of mind.

If this is anywhere near accurate then it probably paid for itself:
Well, I have a lift, tools, a brake lathe, a tire machine. I try not to be helpless. I wouldn't live in fear of an unlikely event, and buy an insurance policy against it.
Old 08-06-2018, 06:37 PM
f1oyd

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
CPO is worth it in my experience.
Old 08-06-2018, 07:33 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Depends, if the car is still eligible for the Infiniti extended warranty, I'd skip the CPO premium and "inspection" and just opt for the extended warranty.
Old 12-01-2018, 03:36 AM
iampraneel
Registered Member

Originally Posted by f1oyd
CPO is worth it in my experience.
i agree it’s worth it.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:51 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
The reason for the CPO program is to expose a trade-in to a larger market, and blur the lines between new & used for used-car buyers, and that's it. CPO is a scam designed to play on a consumer's inexperience. These are the same people who purchase "Home Appliance Insurance", or rush to their doctor requesting expensive pharmaceuticals because they saw a slow-motion ad on TV. Seriously... why are they all in slow motion? That's so weird.

Do not put your faith in such trinkets of deceit! We are in Transylvania, and Transylvania is not England.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:09 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
The reason for the CPO program is to expose a trade-in to a larger market, and blur the lines between new & used for used-car buyers, and that's it. CPO is a scam designed to play on a consumer's inexperience. These are the same people who purchase "Home Appliance Insurance", or rush to their doctor requesting expensive pharmaceuticals because they saw a slow-motion ad on TV. Seriously... why are they all in slow motion? That's so weird.

Do not put your faith in such trinkets of deceit! We are in Transylvania, and Transylvania is not England.

Lol Dracula!

Dammit...I bought an extended warranty on the fridge I bought a year and a half ago ...I still regret it, it was about 15% of the the purchase price bought the factory warranty up from 1 year to 4 or 5 years and they give you $500 for food spoilation etc...the only reason I bought it was it was my first major appliance purchase and my brother in law just bought a fridge and he was going on about how important the fridge extended warranty was.......its so much BS, but I got caught up in it....the only other time I bought an extended warranty was the first time I bought a harbor freight jack cause I had never bought a proper jack before and it was like an extra 10-15 dolllars...didn't do it the second time...for me warrantys/CPOs are a waste of money,

That being said, I don't underestimate the value of the piece of mind that they provide to those that purchase them, most people don't want to waste their time having to be concerned about car maintenance and having to acquire knowledge about these things and rightly so...as car enthusiasts whether we like it or not most cars are appliances to most people for the most part and people have better things to do and theres nothing wring with that
Old 12-06-2018, 12:20 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
That's a fair point, putting a dollar value on emotional security. And I can't dispute that. I mean, I have all kinds of insurance policies in my life. What bugs me is when someone rationalizes these decisions as a smart financial move. When that happens, the psychology gets complicated.

Last edited by Rochester; 12-06-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
What bugs me is when someone rationalizes these decisions as a smart financial move. When that happens, the psychology sure does get more complicated.
I'm 100% with you on this...its not right, but I find myself snickering more often than not when I hear financial/accounting rationals being mixed into discussions on car purchases...i fee like a lot of times its a case of being unable to see the forest for the trees