Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Canadian considering used G37 ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 01:54 PM
number17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Canadian considering used G37 ...

Hi all,

My search for new vehicle to replace my 2009 TSX 6MT has brought me to look at a # of vehicles, and I think G37 coupe might just work for me.

I am looking for a fun to drive car that can be an everyday car but still a lot of fun driving on the weekends.

I first started looking at the FRS, but test drove it and didn't like the fact the car has little to now mid-range torque ... also can't stand the cheapish interior. (but it is a cheaper car ... just not the right car for me) ... then looked at the Miata, a car I always wanted to have since college days. It's a blast to drive especially with the top down, but I live in Canada so I'm unsure about it as a 4-seasons car. Another downside (but is also a good thing) is Miata's have ridiculous resale value here in Toronto. 4 year old GT's easily fetch $26-28k still, and that's a little high imo.

While still shopping for a Miata, I started looking at the 350/370Z. Loved the Z but wife doesn't approve it has no sunroof (it's a must have for her) ... she also doesn't like the interior is a little 'barebone'

And that's what brought me to the G37. Seems to me it's just the 'luxurious version' of the Z, which is perfect. Just wanted to pick your brains on a few quick Q's about the G

- We're looking at both the G coupe and the sedan ... driving wise, other than 2 extra doors, is there a big difference in how the car drives?

- Love the G37x for all-season practicality here in Canada, but MT is a MUST HAVE for me. Does the G37x even come available with 6MT? Or are all X's AT?

- For the RWD version, how well does it drive on snow tires in winters? We do get plenty of snow here in Toronto ... and I heard the G is pretty tail-happy?

- How is the G for maintenance cost? I gathered the G is very reliable, but obviously you still have maintenance you need to do on the car - bearing, brakes, bushings and what not. How's the maintenance cost? This is big to us ... the TSX has been great, bought it used and it's almost 4 years now, all I have had to do was oil change and 1 set of brake pads (I do think 1 rotor and maybe bearings are next on repair list).

- And for my fellow Canadian G-owners, how well does the G holds its value? Just wanted to make sure if I go for a G it's still gonna be worth good $$ 3,4 years down the road

Thanks in advance!!
Old 06-20-2016, 03:37 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
-The coupe weigh about 100lbs more than the sedan. Other than rwd vs. awd, the two cars drive very similarly.

-I believe all 6MT's come in the S trim, meaning rwd.

-As the saying goes, rwd with snow tires > awd with all-season tires. The G likes to break out the rear if you're not careful with the accelerator, and the sheer weight of the car doesn't help you either.

-Other than consumables (fluids, brakes, etc), the G is very reliable. Opt for the 2012+ and the rear timing gasket ($2k fix) will be updated. However, this is not a prevalent issue among owners of older cars.

-I'm not Canadian, but I see a downward trend once the new Q50 starts flying off the shelves. However, the G37 will most likely be the last 6MT of its kind so the community of manual drivers will still demand lower mileage examples. Similarly, the G35 has bottomed out to about $10-5k after 10 years...expect depreciation to be minimal after the market settles.