Buying & Leasing Interested in getting a G37? Ask your Questions in here.

Dealing with a lein on a vehicle.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 12:11 PM
PQ16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealing with a lein on a vehicle.

Hi all,

Long time reader & hopefully you can help me out.
I live in Toronto, Canada and i'm looking to purchase a G in the U.S. Now I've gone through all the details with the other party and the car is great but it does have a lien on it. Now I've been researching the whole lien process but can't find a definitive explanation on how the owner pays the lien and allows the title to be transfered to the buyer.

Has anyone encountered this while importing a car to Canada?
Anyone know of what to do?

Thanks in advance for you help

PQ
Old 03-22-2011, 12:15 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
You need to talk to the lender and get a payoff amount. You or your bank will send that amount to the sellers bank. If the payoff is less than the negotiated sale price, you will write a check for the balance to the seller. You should also request the lien release be sent to you at the request of the seller. The seller will sign over the title to you when you give him the check for his balance.

Last edited by speedracer g37; 03-22-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
KauseKaos

When I was gonna sell my last car the bank told me that they would sent the title directly to the new owner titled in his or hers name. But my deal fell through so I just traded it in for my G.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:36 PM
speedracer g37
Registered Member

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The bank never holds the title. They hold a lien. Seller always has the title on hand with a lien designation and name of lien holder on the front.
Old 03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by speedracer g37
The bank never holds the title. They hold a lien. Seller always has the title on hand with a lien designation and name of lien holder on the front.
True, the owner receives the title of a financed car.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:53 PM
gooddeal

Originally Posted by speedracer g37
I think this might not be true in PA unless they just change the law. I used to do a small finance on a car in order to get the additional financing cash bonus. I didn't get the tile. The bank has the title.

When I paid off the loan, the bank sent me the title. The tile has the bank name on it as a lien and the bank stamped on the title to verify that the loan was paid and they released the title.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:48 PM
PQ16

Thanks guys

speedracerg37 makes the most sense to me since it seems pretty straight forward. I will contact the seller and see if this process can work.

Thanks again, hope to post pictures soon if i end up grabbing it
Old 03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PQ16
Thanks guys

speedracerg37 makes the most sense to me since it seems pretty straight forward. I will contact the seller and see if this process can work.

Thanks again, hope to post pictures soon if i end up grabbing it
My belief is that it can take quite a while to actually receive the title in your name AND you need that title to cross the border and register your car. Search the thread in the automotive form on Red Flag Deals as this topic has come up before.

Last edited by superjer2000; 03-22-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
8lackMacObs

Originally Posted by gooddeal
I think this might not be true in PA unless they just change the law. I used to do a small finance on a car in order to get the additional financing cash bonus. I didn't get the tile. The bank has the title.

When I paid off the loan, the bank sent me the title. The tile has the bank name on it as a lien and the bank stamped on the title to verify that the loan was paid and they released the title.
Also not true in Texas. The bank (or credit union) will hold the title until the loan is paid off. At that time, the title is released to the owner.

In transactions involving private parties, I would make sure that you get your bank or credit union involved as well as the seller's leinholder (bank or credit union). Negotiate the purchase price and make sure the title will be transferred to your leinholder (or you if paid without a loan) upon payment.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:48 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 114 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Chico
True, the owner receives the title of a financed car.
I know for a fact, in California, Nevada, and Arizona finance company keeps your title until paid off.