My G37 journey from STOCK to CUSTOM

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:04 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Proof positive that great minds think alike. Here is my Momo:

Mine is at least 6 years old and needs to be replaced. The metal is starting to corrode and show its age. Still better than OEM!

Nice wheels. I am contemplating Vossen"s HF-3's myself. Great minds...

Great build!
Thanks, brother! I actually wanted the Vossen CV5, but they discontinued production. These HF-1's were the closest in looks to the CV5, in my opinion... ... so I got them! In all honesty for being described as "Glossy Silver" when I ordered them, seeing them live theye're more on the gun metal look, that on the silver. Debating if I should coat them, or not.... ... not sure... .. maybe my eye just has to get used to it... ... will wait for a bit.... ....
Old 05-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

After wheel adapters install... ... 1 inch and a quarter

Old 05-18-2020, 05:49 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

I like it!
Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Skitzo
Thanks, brother! I actually wanted the Vossen CV5, but they discontinued production. These HF-1's were the closest in looks to the CV5, in my opinion... ... so I got them! In all honesty for being described as "Glossy Silver" when I ordered them, seeing them live theye're more on the gun metal look, that on the silver. Debating if I should coat them, or not.... ... not sure... .. maybe my eye just has to get used to it... ... will wait for a bit.... ....
How did you re-connect the booth to the base of the MOMO shift ****? Mine keeps coming down. Did you use double sided-tape, glue? How does your booth stays up and connected to the base of the MOMO?
Old 05-19-2020, 10:23 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 1,018 Posts
Don't laugh... but it is not connected.
I folded the top of the boot over and down so that the folded part is level with the bottom of the knøb. Been that way for years.

If you truly want it secured, I would suggest unscrewing the bottom collar and slide the top of the boot under the collar. When you tighten the collar to the base of the knøb the boot will be wedged between the shaft and the collar. I did it this way for a while but after having to remove my center console several times for various projects, I opted for the lazy way.

All mine is getting changed soon enough anyway... just waiting on some parts from Japan.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 05-19-2020 at 10:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Skitzo (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:56 AM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
Don't laugh... but it is not connected.
I folded the top of the boot over and down so that the folded part is level with the bottom of the knøb. Been that way for years.

If you truly want it secured, I would suggest unscrewing the bottom collar and slide the top of the boot under the collar. When you tighten the collar to the base of the knøb the boot will be wedged between the shaft and the collar. I did it this way for a while but after having to remove my center console several times for various projects, I opted for the lazy way.

All mine is getting changed soon enough anyway... just waiting on some parts from Japan.
I'm pretty sure the boot top part inside the MOMO collar won't work. The grooves are probably not even going to get going. I'll try double sided-tape, first!
Old 05-19-2020, 11:00 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 1,018 Posts
I'm pretty sure the boot top part inside the MOMO collar won't work. The grooves are probably not even going to get going. I'll try double sided-tape, first!
It will work- I did it. But it is not easy.
Skitzo (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 11:49 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts

I like it!
Where's you get that?
Old 05-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Rochester
Administrator

It's unfortunate you're feeling the big wheels, but then an automatic Vert is more of a cruiser than a sports car. I wouldn't sweat it. Your car is looking super unique, but not so overboard as to be tacky. I really like it. TBH, I would have selected less thick spacers. Just from those pics, your Vossens really poke. IDK, maybe that's the look you were going for. Maybe a little neg camber would dial that in.

Anyway, very nice. Lots of pretty cool mods in a very short time.
Old 05-19-2020, 12:03 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
It's unfortunate you're feeling the big wheels, but then an automatic Vert is more of a cruiser than a sports car. I wouldn't sweat it. Your car is looking super unique, but not so overboard as to be tacky. I really like it. TBH, I would have selected less thick spacers. Just from those pics, your Vossens really poke. IDK, maybe that's the look you were going for.

Anyway, very nice. Lots of pretty cool mods in a very short time.
here:

Amazon Amazon
Old 05-19-2020, 12:10 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Cool. Welp... that was a spontaneous $31 purchase. Shipping is almost as much as the emblem, but it's coming out of Korea.

Thanks!
Skitzo (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:14 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

What I had were 19", before I put the 20"s. Almost no difference in size. Not planning to lower it, so the wheels poking out a bit in the back does just fine. It does turn the "cruise" vert look more into a "sport look coupe", especially from the back. From the back it looks MASSIVE, like a real coupe low sport car, especially with the bumper change. plus it's a convertible, which is kinda unique, like you say.

This will be a G37 in its own category. Sport look, but a convertible in the end. Why I bought it, why I love how the looks turned.

And yeah, I definitely don't want to draw attention from the cops. I do get heads-turning, but not from cops. So my mods must have been right... ... ehehehe... ... I want an everyday car that can turn into a sport mode, when I want to... ... and this just does it... ... looks sportier with my mods now, but still classy without being over the top Hot Rod, which why I agree with you, it turned into something quite unique.

This vert certainly does NOT have the "just a cruiser" look now, what I wanted!
Old 05-19-2020, 12:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

That just looks SLICK ! I was getting really frustrated, because I couldn't remove the silver collar at the base of the shift ****. Some people have said in other forums that the leather needs to be stretched... ... well, in my car it wasn't the case. I had to take the center piece off, fish the booth through and put it in an upside position (didn;t have to remove it), and cut a zip-tie Infiniti puts to hold the leather tight to the base of the shift ****. Took me 20min. total! Looks sick! I love it!

Well that sure looks like it belongs there. Good choices on that AT shift ****.

AFAIK, the boot is vinyl, not leather. Are you thinking of getting a leather boot? Perforated black, maybe, like the center and back panels of your seats.

Man, a set of CARSMO ***** would look perfect on that dash. He doesn't sell them anymore, but there's almost always a FS thread if you keep an eye out for them. Thinking about spontaneous purchases, like when I saw your scripted INFINITI emblem, I remember jumping on those CARSMO ***** when they first came out. Didn't hesitate for even a second, and got his promotional intro price. Seven years later, and I still love those little things.

Last edited by Rochester; 05-19-2020 at 12:43 PM.
Skitzo (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 01:07 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Well that sure looks like it belongs there. Good choices on that AT shift ****.

AFAIK, the boot is vinyl, not leather. Are you thinking of getting a leather boot? Perforated black, maybe, like the center and back panels of your seats.

Man, a set of CARSMO ***** would look perfect on that dash. He doesn't sell them anymore, but there's almost always a FS thread if you keep an eye out for them. Thinking about spontaneous purchases, like when I saw your scripted INFINITI emblem, I remember jumping on those CARSMO ***** when they first came out. Didn't hesitate for even a second, and got his promotional intro price. Seven years later, and I still love those little things.
I did get some, not like that CARSMO guy, but... ... these are good enough replacements.

Rochester (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 03:12 PM
Skitzo
Registered Member

Those emblems NOT meant to be there, but to me... ... It's worth it. It looks HELL of a lot sportier like that!

Last edited by Skitzo; 05-19-2020 at 03:20 PM.

Quick Reply: My G37 journey from STOCK to CUSTOM