Build Threads

BULL's G37 sedan Anniversary Edition

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
BULL's G37 sedan Anniversary Edition

Hi everyone, new to the forum not to the brand. I purchased this car a while back from a tow yard that put a lien on the car. Loong story short this car was totaled at 18,000 in California. It has since lived in FL and recently owned by some careless individuals.
The car broke the trans oil cooler and started to mix oil and coolant killing the trans. I worked on cars my whole life, in 2012 I worked for Infiniti and did some service on a couple of AE and was fascinated by them, never thought I would own one for $1500 at that.

Apologize for the huge pictures.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

So further assessment of the trans, it appears they tried to repair going at it. Not many people know how to drain and fill this trans. If it wasn't for individuals like these I would not have gotten it.

That brown material in the filter is disintegrated clutch packs, at this point there was no saving. Look like they tried to fill the trans through the hole and broke the bolt that hold the cap. This could have been the real culprit however not running any chances and running an external one.

The following 2 users liked this post by BULL:
jdog78 (09-07-2019), jpowersjr2 (09-17-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 04:12 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Nice start on the build thread. Its a shame about that drivers side bolster...I wonder if you can just get a replacement panel sewn in or maybe you'll get lucky with half a replacement cover off ebay or something...everything else looks pretty straightforward and looks like it will be a fun rebuild project, looking forward to updates.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 PM
BULL
Moderador

The seat will probably be repaired in patches. My co worker already decided to take it on. He said the hardest part will be finding a color that will blend with the faded pieces. The interior is the least of my worries.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:48 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,573 Likes on 3,424 Posts
Subbed. I like the comments written so far by you since you joined, and this has the potention to be a real interesting project. Good luck.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:39 PM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
Subbed. I like the comments written so far by you since you joined, and this has the potention to be a real interesting project. Good luck.
Thank you, the goal is to daily this thing. The reliability of the 37 has proven itself. The looks are in the top for Infiniti and I've always been a best trim type of guy for vehicles. I always see myself sourcing items from top trims to add to mine.

I hate owning unreliable cars and starting the Infiniti experience was an eye opener. Started with a V35 chassis that I've dedicated 2 years to and cant keep up with it.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:41 PM
BULL
Moderador

On another note I believe what I read is true 4WAS cars dont come with VLSD. While in the air and i had the trans shift and right wheel peg all the time.
This would be something that would eventually find it's way in the car.
Old 07-18-2019, 09:19 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

so wait, does your car have the 4WAS?...I always thought they were only offered on the early 2nd gen Gs...I have never actually seen 4WAS components on a G ..got any pictures of that undercarriage? (if you have it)...
Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
so wait, does your car have the 4WAS?...I always thought they were only offered on the early 2nd gen Gs...I have never actually seen 4WAS components on a G ..got any pictures of that undercarriage? (if you have it)...
Same. I thought 4WAS was only available on the Sedan in the 2007-2008 G35 and the 2009 G37.

Honestly, you never see anyone on the forum discussing 4WAS, so I'm thinking it's extremely rare.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:02 AM
BULL
Moderador

Yeah, 4WAS, I was under the impression this specific trim brought it ALL. It's possible diff is burnt and when I was doing the air test ABS was holding one side. I did disconnect power from it.

The following users liked this post:
Baadnewsburr (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:10 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I seem to recall there were constraints on certain aftermarket exhausts because of 4WAS. But over the years the consideration just kind of fell to the wayside. Not because they aren't real, but because there's not enough cars out there to matter.

BULL, that's certainly something to keep in mind if you buy a full catback instead of going custom.
BULL (07-18-2019)
Old 07-18-2019, 11:30 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by BULL
Yeah, 4WAS, I was under the impression this specific trim brought it ALL. It's possible diff is burnt and when I was doing the air test ABS was holding one side. I did disconnect power from it.

oh man thats so cool...from time to time I've had thoughts of trying to source junked parts to retrofit my car with the 4WAS but never took it further/found it not to be really practical...my guess would be that even if yours came with VLSD , given the condition of the car its probably burnt by now anyways...good news is finding a whole replacement pumpkin is cheap and easy and so is swapping it in ..you sound very competent but not sure if you're comfortable/equipped to rebuild a diff...if you are, I think Z1 sells just the inner VLSD unit used for a bout 200.00 and it can easily be swapped into a burned out VLSD pumpkin...or you could upgrade to mechanical and ways so cool that you have the 4WAS
Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
I seem to recall there were constraints on certain aftermarket exhausts because of 4WAS. But over the years the consideration just kind of fell to the wayside. Not because they aren't real, but because there's not enough cars out there to matter.

BULL, that's certainly something to keep in mind if you buy a full catback instead of going custom.
That I did not know. Exhaust ideas are still in the air. Whatever I choose I would like to rock the 2018 Qs tips that are sort of drilled.

Originally Posted by Baadnewsburr
oh man thats so cool...from time to time I've had thoughts of trying to source junked parts to retrofit my car with the 4WAS but never took it further/found it not to be really practical...my guess would be that even if yours came with VLSD , given the condition of the car its probably burnt by now anyways...good news is finding a whole replacement pumpkin is cheap and easy and so is swapping it in ..you sound very competent but not sure if you're comfortable/equipped to rebuild a diff...if you are, I think Z1 sells just the inner VLSD unit used for a bout 200.00 and it can easily be swapped into a burned out VLSD pumpkin...or you could upgrade to mechanical and ways so cool that you have the 4WAS
That's good to know. I've been searching around and the whole pumpkin sells for around that but you never really know what you're getting.
I will all come down to money and what stage will the car be in once this can be an option.

I have a nice dent on the DR door that made itself more noticeable with the new fender. I need to mess with the alignment of the front end before I tighten everything.

Car was missing MANY of the clips that hold the front end and I still have to align headlights.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:45 AM
BULL
Moderador

Old 07-18-2019, 11:56 AM
BULL
Moderador

The headlight was a fun one. I've always been conscious as far as money spent on my cars, I've dealt with the used car parts industry my entire life and know when things are at the right price and when they're over due to demand.
As far as the Pass headlight went a used set was $300+ depo was not that cheaper either. I realized my lens was still somewhat workable so I decided to try one of my methods. It cost me $150 and time to achieve. I have a complete working light that's 7/10, an extra bixenon projector with ballast, bulb and wiring.

These were the results, awaiting to clear the lenses:

Baadnewsburr (07-18-2019)

Quick Reply: BULL's G37 sedan Anniversary Edition