Build Threads

Project Eff The Street: 2010 G37S Sedan SCCA AutoX Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 12:48 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Thanks for the back-to-back dyno comparisons. Our OE intake is really well thought out, and I've long since believed that short ram intakes that are open to the engine bay are nothing but noise makers, and that any dyno gains would disappear once the hood was closed.

Interesting observations on the Koni shocks as well. I've alternated the fronts between full soft, 1/2 turn and 1 full turn over the years, and settled on full soft during the winter months, since they otherwise seem to hit harder when it's cold, and 1/2 of a turn when it warms up. Any more just seems to be too stiff, which I'm sure is exaggerated by being lowered as well.

The shock dyno does seem to support my impressions that the Konis, especially on full soft, didn't degrade ride quality.

Nice build thread, and clean G
Thanks for the compliment! Regarding Koni, I am still playing with the settings at the track. Last event I ran them in full stiff, and the car understeered a bit. Now that the front bar is smaller, something tells me that I will be playing with the shocks to keep the rear planted. If I decide to continue in Street class next year, I might even get Konis revalved, and have them match the OEM Sport shock valving at the softest setting, and make full stiff something ridiculous to keep up with demands of autoX
Old 03-28-2018, 12:52 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by ReplicaR
Thanks for the compliment! Regarding Koni, I am still playing with the settings at the track. Last event I ran them in full stiff, and the car understeered a bit. Now that the front bar is smaller, something tells me that I will be playing with the shocks to keep the rear planted. If I decide to continue in Street class next year, I might even get Konis revalved, and have them match the OEM Sport shock valving at the softest setting, and make full stiff something ridiculous to keep up with demands of autoX
You'd be a pioneer in getting the Koni's revalved, unless someone on the 370Z board has gone that route. Only a handful of Gs on Konis.

Do you remove the shocks to adjust the rears? Accessing them isn't the easiest thing to do, hence why I haven't messed with them in years.
Old 03-28-2018, 12:56 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
You'd be a pioneer in getting the Koni's revalved, unless someone on the 370Z board has gone that route. Only a handful of Gs on Konis.

Do you remove the shocks to adjust the rears? Accessing them isn't the easiest thing to do, hence why I haven't messed with them in years.
Honestly, it's not that difficult. Just have to jack up the rear one side at the time, and the adjustment is there, just feel for it with your fingers. When the shock was off the car, I noticed that the adjustment range in the slot is 1 quarter of a rotation, so essentially you have a 9 adjustment range from full soft to full stiff. To keep things simple, I adjust in that kind of increment.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:12 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Yeah, you just can't really see and it's like a 2.5mm hex key

I'm at one sweep left-to-right......it's mostly the front's I've messed with.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:17 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

I went with 1.5 full rotations on the front, and 1.25 full rotations in the rear to get a feel of slightly stiffer than standard sport damper.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:47 PM
ReplicaR
Registered Member

After missing a few rounds due to either being sick or away on vacation, I was finally back in action last weekend during Round 4 of SCCA SoCal regional championship. The field was much smaller than usual (100 cars instead of 150+), but I still had another car to compete in the class with me, which was a 2016 Camaro SS. I realistically know that at the moment I am not the pace setter, since this is just my second event, so if I were to win anything, this would be the best opportunity I would get all year. And that's exactly what I have done. My first class win.

Project Eff The Street: 2010 G37S Sedan SCCA AutoX Build-agjlatu.jpg

Project Eff The Street: 2010 G37S Sedan SCCA AutoX Build-wgna0qy.jpg

The takeaway from this round of autoX:

1. The sway bar swap helped. I went form a really stiff Hotchkis 35mm bar to a softer Eibach 32mm bar in stiff setting, and it has paid off really well. I could feel immediately how much more traction there is in the front and and rear didn't feel too compromised either, so I feel that given the stagger of the wheels and tires, I've achieved the optimum balance for something that could be done with off the shelf parts.

2. Driving style improvements. I've asked an instructor to ride around with me, and one thing I worked on this weekend was turning in sooner. Much sooner than I thought I would have to. Learning how to do this helped me to keep the car more under control and increase the speed as I'm going through slalom, rather than play catch up with the cones and lose speed as I'm going through them. There is definitely still a lot to learn, but I'm truly excited about the progress I've made so far.

The video is below:

The following 2 users liked this post by ReplicaR:
blnewt (04-18-2018), r2dmax (04-19-2018)