Build Threads

FlashGuy - G37S Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 01:57 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Received 218 Likes on 194 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashGuy
Rochester - thanks! I keep a low profile and am not a prolific poster. I didn't intend for things to get to this point but, I find things that could improve and the next thing I know, here we are.

jpowersjr2 - I thought about it and just went with a new arm. The new arm solved some of the clunk. I wasn't comfortable with spending so much money on 2 bushings but no solution for the ball joint that joins up with the spindle. The sound from the trans bushing drowns a lot of the other NVH out. I did go with the SPL tie rods that dialed out the steering dead zone.
So you replaced it with a new OEM one? Which SPL tie rods did you get? Sometime I feel as if I have some sort steering issue, like it wanders I feel like sometimes. Not sure if it's just me.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:10 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
So you replaced it with a new OEM one? Which SPL tie rods did you get? Sometime I feel as if I have some sort steering issue, like it wanders I feel like sometimes. Not sure if it's just me.
Yup, a new left lower arm.

I got these:
Bumpsteer Adjustable Titanium Series Front Outer Tie Rod Ends for Nissan R35 GT-R

With steering issues, I referred to my alignment guy's feedback. He mentioned the deadzone which I felt too and went about solving it through the process of elimination.
The following users liked this post:
jpowersjr2 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:07 AM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

24hrs worth of labor later the supercharger is in. Thank goodness I did it on my own otherwise the total cost would have been painful. Most of my install time was spent test fitting and figuring out the best routing for all the tubes, piping, and wiring. There was a lot of deviation from the instructions but nothing that would impact the operation of the kit. The instructions claim that some things are pre-assembled, like the bypass valve, but that's far from accurate. All the tubing had to be cut to fit so that there is clearance. There was some triming of the air diverter that needed to be done to fit the heat exchanger and charge pipe.

I would definitely not recommend novices attempt a DYI.

Next steps are road testing and tune via UpRev.

jpowersjr2 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 02:22 AM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Great work man, that's awesome!
Old 07-03-2019, 06:55 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

I have great friends

I did maintenance to dial out the play in my steering some more and to lock in my alignment changes. My friend decided to give me a hand and add some "decals" as you will see in the last picture.
  • Added SPL tie rods
  • Added SPL rear mid-links
  • Added Swift springs 65mm ID, 12k spring rate, 6" length.

I also roasted my brakes at the last track day. I came off track with the calipers measuring 850 F. Needless to say, the rubber dust boots were toast. Thinking myself handy, I attempted to rebuild the calipers. This didn't work out at all since I sheered off a seized bolt that held the rear caliper together. I ended up ordering a set of remanufactured PowerStop "Akebono" calipers. I'm still wondering if these are Akebonos since the Cardone remans have the embossed Akebono lettering casted on the housing of the caliper, yet the PowerStops did not. I'm not too fussed since they fit and function fine. Just a little sad that my original calipers are gone. And once again, my friend decided to "help".

Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
the spring is supposed to sit slanted like that?
Old 07-03-2019, 08:17 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Yeah I was wondering the same thing! Looks like it's off the ground, is something disconnected?

Good job on the brakes and LOL at the "Brembo".

What do you think of the SPL tie rods? I have thought about getting them for my car as well.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:15 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by saywat?
the spring is supposed to sit slanted like that?
Originally Posted by jpowersjr2
Yeah I was wondering the same thing! Looks like it's off the ground, is something disconnected?

Good job on the brakes and LOL at the "Brembo".

What do you think of the SPL tie rods? I have thought about getting them for my car as well.
Great question! I thought something was off at first, but it is how the spring sits unloaded. Everything aligns once it's on the ground. SPL went to great lengths to emphasize this in their install manual (Page 4). Link

I do sometimes hear the spring re-seat itself when I rapidly shift lateral weight (loading and unloading). Some guys go the extra mile and get a helper spring to help make sure that under extreme unloading the main spring doesn't eject itself.

As far as the tie rods go, I love em. The car is extremely responsive to steering input. I have my front ever so slightly toe in for the streets, but I have to be on top of my steering control. The kit also comes with shims of different thickness to help dial in or out bump steer so if you're lowered, you can play with it.

I'm almost full SPL at this point. All I have left is the front lower control arm bushings, which I've said that I'm not doing since it's not a complete solution, and the rear knuckle. Probably going to get a pair of rear knuckles from a wreck and build from there since I'd like to do my rear hub bearing at some point too.
jpowersjr2 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 09:51 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Good stuff man. That is an awesome picture from inside the bumper.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:12 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Amazing progress, would love for you to give feedback on temps all around once you're up and running.
That front end is pretty populated, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine however I think your front end real estate is close to maxing out.

Have you tried maybe moving some of the coolers to the side by the fogs, possible future idea?
Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BULL
Amazing progress, would love for you to give feedback on temps all around once you're up and running.
That front end is pretty populated, I'm pretty sure you'll be fine however I think your front end real estate is close to maxing out.

Have you tried maybe moving some of the coolers to the side by the fogs, possible future idea?
Crawling in traffic. It was almost 90 outside. VVT temp is oil temp at the heads.

I have plans for the fogs. Brake ducts are a project I keep stalling on. They will be routed there.
jpowersjr2 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Titanium brake shields came in. Hopefully I'll get some more life out of my brake piston boots and keep the brake fluid from boiling over.

jpowersjr2 (07-12-2019)
Old 07-12-2019, 08:51 PM
jpowersjr2
Registered Member

Whaaat Ti brake shields?! That's so awesome. I am sucker for titanium.
Old 08-28-2021, 03:46 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Man this thread is old. Jpowersjr, if you're still around. I got these Ti shims.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23413997423...4AAOSwHONg8Nt8
Old 08-28-2021, 03:59 PM
FlashGuy
Registered Member

Quick long term update on the car 3 years after supercharging.

I have not blown my engine. Yet. Haha.

I change the SC oil every 2 oil changes and it has served me well.

I have done 1 SC belt change due to cracking..

I've cleaned the intake a few times and charged it with the K&N oil.

The car has been driven all over the country from mountain tops to off the beaten path gravel roads. There has been thousands of miles being racked up in one trip with no hiccups.