Build Threads

The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 11:32 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
Bear in mind that the 2015+ G/Q cars were sold in Japan with Infiniti badging. Even Nissan isn't sure what to do with it if it ain't a fleet Altima. Notice the new Altima is bigger than a Maxima?

Hopefully whoever rises to the top of Nissan after the Ghosn fallout is over will be an enthusiast, otherwise I think we'll just get infiniti crossovers and SUVs.

//back to car at hand:

I'd really need to see one of those hoods in person. The ridge in the center is really turning me off - it makes the car look like a Klingon. Whether all white, all black, or panda. And while I like the Carbon Signal sedan version, I'm not about to drop $1.5k on a hood that has to survive cross-atlantic shipping monkeys. I can get something custom built here for the same or less.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:45 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,580 Likes on 3,429 Posts
Originally Posted by rotarymike
I'd really need to see one of those hoods in person. The ridge in the center is really turning me off - it makes the car look like a Klingon.
Not Klingon... Cylon. You know I'm right, LOL

Last edited by Rochester; 08-20-2019 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Uhhh...more like

Really wouldn't want to argue that my car does or does not have a Kingon fivehead for a hood.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:15 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Nope. So is anyone good with photoshop type changes to pics that can leave the center and side vents carbon and the rest white?

Old 08-30-2019, 10:47 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

So I keep going back and forth on blue and black on the brake caliper/rotor paint I plan to get. I think black would look clean and the white lettering would probably sync up well with the black Sparco seats with white lettering. On the other hand I think blue might look a bit better because it is different and I might even paint the center of the rotors blue like in the pic below. I am only skeptical of the blue because every new M3/M4 has blue calipers. Thoughts?

This picture gave me the idea of painting the center of the rotors blue too. Might look cool on the car.

Black is the safe version that will look the cleanest and tie in the best with all the carbon trim outside my car and Sparco seats, but does that make it boring? (Pardon this dude's knee.)
The following users liked this post:
Luci (08-31-2019)
Old 08-30-2019, 11:24 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

I have black calipers behind pretty open black wheels on a black sedan. They're effectively invisible. I'm leaning towards blue as well.

(edited to add - went through my pictures of the car. Even side-on you can't really see the calipers, even zoomed in on a 10MP shot.

Saw a G37 S coupe locally last week, all black, black wheels, yellow calipers. Hard pass. Anyone on here? Also had the new aftermarket headlights with the Z shaped light pipe.

I'm still waffling on the blue, or red. Or spending double the money on custom dark red like the Eau Rouge.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:33 AM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Silver hubs + Blue calipers
Old 08-30-2019, 11:41 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by rotarymike
I have black calipers behind pretty open black wheels on a black sedan. They're effectively invisible. I'm leaning towards blue as well.

(edited to add - went through my pictures of the car. Even side-on you can't really see the calipers, even zoomed in on a 10MP shot.

Saw a G37 S coupe locally last week, all black, black wheels, yellow calipers. Hard pass. Anyone on here? Also had the new aftermarket headlights with the Z shaped light pipe.

I'm still waffling on the blue, or red. Or spending double the money on custom dark red like the Eau Rouge.
My rims are bright silver in the summer so the black calipers would probably still pop pretty well, especially with the white Akebono stickers. But I am leaning a bit toward the blue lately.

Originally Posted by BULL
That is an interesting idea, but I think I want more contrast with the rotor surface. The other issue is that track days tend to turn silver to bronze from the heat. I probably need a darker color. I think I am with you on the blue calipers though. I am trying to decide if blue hubs would look better than black or if that is too much blue.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:52 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by BULL
Winner!!!

I'm still planning on Z1 two-piece rotors around Black Friday this year, for a Spring 2020 install. That's the plan, although plans do get scuttled sometimes. If or when those are in my hands over the winter, I'm probably going to be thinking of the same consideration: do I paint the hats anything other than the black they come with? Silver would be nice. Or a dark, glossy gun-metal.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:34 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
Winner!!!

I'm still planning on Z1 two-piece rotors around Black Friday this year, for a Spring 2020 install. That's the plan, although plans do get scuttled sometimes. If or when those are in my hands over the winter, I'm probably going to be thinking of the same consideration: do I paint the hats anything other than the black they come with? Silver would be nice. Or a dark, glossy gun-metal.
That's funny, I was recently thinking that black friday is when I would probably finally get the rear 2pc. rotors too. I have held off for so long because I think it is just wrong that the smaller rear rotors are more expensive, but I do understand that more engineering goes into the hub for the e-brake.
Old 08-31-2019, 04:10 AM
Luci
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 4DRZ
So I keep going back and forth on blue and black on the brake caliper/rotor paint I plan to get. I think black would look clean and the white lettering would probably sync up well with the black Sparco seats with white lettering. On the other hand I think blue might look a bit better because it is different and I might even paint the center of the rotors blue like in the pic below. I am only skeptical of the blue because every new M3/M4 has blue calipers. Thoughts?

This picture gave me the idea of painting the center of the rotors blue too. Might look cool on the car.

Black is the safe version that will look the cleanest and tie in the best with all the carbon trim outside my car and Sparco seats, but does that make it boring? (Pardon this dude's knee.)
I got these Black Friday

I’ve been gone a while building my dream

Disk Brake Australia 🇦🇺 Fronts

There’s 6 inch spacers on the rear and 3 inch spacers on the front right now

Last edited by Rochester; 08-31-2019 at 06:29 AM. Reason: some minor thread whoring... no big deal, but cleaned up anyway
Old 08-31-2019, 06:22 AM
Rochester
Administrator

I'm going to vote for blue. A second time, i think. But blue hats...? IDK
Old 08-31-2019, 05:52 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Luci
I got these Black Friday

I’ve been gone a while building my dream

Disk Brake Australia 🇦🇺 Fronts

There’s 6 inch spacers on the rear and 3 inch spacers on the front right now
Luci, the brakes look nice. Did you have any issue with the E-brake holding you in place once you got Z1 2pc. rear rotors?

Originally Posted by Rochester
I'm going to vote for blue. A second time, i think. But blue hats...? IDK
I think I am over the blue hubs. I think that would be too much. I will probably do black hubs. Still torn on the calipers.
Old 08-31-2019, 07:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by 4DRZ
I think I am over the blue hubs. I think that would be too much. I will probably do black hubs.
Agreed. Too much. If anything other than black, then silver or something between silver and black.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:04 AM
4DRZ
Registered Member

I will probably do the high temp flat black paint on the hubs so that they hopefully hold up better and then do the glossy black or blue on the calipers for a bit more contrast. I think blue or black would look good for the calipers with the white Akebono lettering. I am trying to talk myself into the blue to have a little color on the car, but I keep going back to the black because I do like more of that sleeper/factory clean look and I think it would look nice with the seats and the rest of the carbon trim. There is nothing else that is blue on my car. All the dumb and not so important decisions we spend way too much time thinking about...

Quick Reply: The "4 door Z" build (4DRZ)- 13 G37S 6spd sedan