Build Threads

My Flood Salvage... Build

Old 01-10-2014, 08:50 PM
macintos

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My Flood Salvage... Build

Since I have found nothing like this before, I figured I would post a thread about my salvage build. I live in Michigan, and bought a flood vehicle that is currently salvage. In the near future (not dirving due to weather) I need to have the salvage title transferred into a rebuilt so I can drive it on the road. It is ready to be inspected, but I am currently working on it. This is my story.

I owned a 2004 G35 coupe. Previous owner completely tricked it out with $15k in parts alone. Had vortech supercharger, EDFC, Tien Flex coilovers, g37 bbk upgrade, to name a few. I am more comfortable with reliable cars... "reliable cars"... I felt the supercharger was a very fun liability and I was not financially ready to support it. Would have felt much more reliable if it were not 420hp through the auto tranny... that is what did it for me. Time to sell. (new owner reported it has performed amazing the past year)

One year later I bought this 2008 G37s. I am very financially stable now and wanted to take a fun little risk. No accidents. Flood damage. Many would cringe, which is why I was able to buy for $13,400. No electrical issues at all, everything works. Minor body issues which I will get into. So let's get started. Here is how I bought the car. On the dealer lot. My requirements were G37, and 6MT.
Attached Thumbnails My Flood Salvage... Build-g37-side.jpg   My Flood Salvage... Build-g37-back.jpg  
Old 01-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
Hrmm, outside looks good... How's the interior? What about the motor?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Looking forward to this one, looks like a nice starting point. Have you been able to determine what exactly is needed at this point or are you still in investigation mode?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:08 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Good luck with your project. I bought a flooded 2012 G37X sedan for dirt cheap and restored it. I have since put 10k miles on it and it's running like new.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:55 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Hey man, you can get lucky sometimes with these so called flooded cars. Back in 06 my uncle bought a Altima loaded with only 14k miles or something. Walked out of the auction only paying about 2900 for it. Car still runs great.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:00 AM
macintos

So far everything outside the car is pretty good. The interior is absolutely perfect (alright, couple scratches on the steering wheel and shift ****). Engine is perfect, sounds like it should and pulls like it should. Exhaust worries me a little due to a little smoke and sweet smell, but anti freeze is not down at all. I am hoping it is a combination of fuel additive before I bought the car, and the sea-foam I added to the car since it is sitting for a while. I have ran only 1/4 tank of gas through the car since I have owned it (1.5 months. crappy weather here).

I replaced the front bumper because prev owner had to have a front plate. "new" bumper looks awesome. So here we go...

I hated the chrome "spoiler". Decided to attempt the black chrome spray paint and so far I am happy with it. The car has not left the garage, so who knows in the sun, but I like it in the garage and with non-natural light on it. The front grill is also the same now, black chrome. The theme on this car is going to be Gun metal, black chrome, and white. I am in the middle of doing the headlights. Could NOT live with the orange reflector inside the lights. That is now gun metal. Chrome inside lights is now black chrome.

The final product will be a mixture of gunmetal (wheels, reflector inside headlight), black chrome (Grill, headlights, "Spoiler"), and the body will be white. I am planning to lower on eibach springs and have been waiting for someone to be selling theirs for cheap (want to donate to the project will pay $175 shipped for lightly used). I am not driving until probably March due to weather. Will be more willing to spend $ on suspension the closer I get to then. In the pictures I have my old G35 wheels. I am going to go gunmetal on the sport 19" wheels because I think they look pretty good. Going to spray them gunmetal myself for this summer. If I am unhappy I am going to have them powder coated.
Attached Thumbnails My Flood Salvage... Build-20140110_230951.jpg   My Flood Salvage... Build-20140102_173134.jpg   My Flood Salvage... Build-20140110_231737.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:22 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Sounds like a solid plan, what paint brand did you use for the black chrome?
Nice job on the lights too!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:59 AM
deadlocked

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This G37 is a virginia salvage?
Old 01-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Not that many care, but your new headlights without the amber side lighting are illegal in the U.S.
Old 01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
macintos

Does it help if the bulb is still amber? It will still blink amber, just not reflect. I do care about being legal usually, but if the requirement is to have a reflector, then that is stupid. Took all reflectors off my 1125cr too, nothing amber on that bike.

Edit- Just did my own research. Suppose if ever inspected or pulled over I will keep a couple little 2" diameter amber stick on reflectors in the car somewhere so I can become legal at any time.

2nd edit- more research. Not required in my state of Michigan, but still not a bad idea to have them on me.

This is all the law says about reflectors on passenger vehicles. I am not a lawyer, but it sounds optional-

(4) Unless both covered and unlit, a vehicle operated on the highways of this state shall not be equipped with a lamp or a part designed to be a reflector unless expressly required or permitted by this chapter or that meets the standards prescribed in 49 CFR 571.108. A lamp or a part designed to be a reflector, if visible from the front, shall display or reflect a white or amber light; if visible from either side, shall display or reflect an amber or red light; and if visible from the rear, shall display or reflect a red light, except as otherwise provided by law.

Last edited by macintos; 01-11-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:23 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by macintos
Does it help if the bulb is still amber? It will still blink amber, just not reflect. I do care about being legal usually, but if the requirement is to have a reflector, then that is stupid. Took all reflectors off my 1125cr too, nothing amber on that bike.

Edit- Just did my own research. Suppose if ever inspected or pulled over I will keep a couple little 2" diameter amber stick on reflectors in the car somewhere so I can become legal at any time.

2nd edit- more research. Not required in my state of Michigan, but still not a bad idea to have them on me.

This is all the law says about reflectors on passenger vehicles. I am not a lawyer, but it sounds optional-

(4) Unless both covered and unlit, a vehicle operated on the highways of this state shall not be equipped with a lamp or a part designed to be a reflector unless expressly required or permitted by this chapter or that meets the standards prescribed in 49 CFR 571.108. A lamp or a part designed to be a reflector, if visible from the front, shall display or reflect a white or amber light; if visible from either side, shall display or reflect an amber or red light; and if visible from the rear, shall display or reflect a red light, except as otherwise provided by law.
To be legal the amber light will have to be steadily lit when the headlights are on. Reflectors will not do the trick. The federal rule (and there’s no indication any state is exempt) below clearly shows an amber lamp, not a reflector, is required:

Federal lamp regulations
Old 01-11-2014, 08:02 PM
macintos

Huh, guess my backup little reflector pucks might come in handy. Oh well, 180 seems to mod a bunch and are not too concerned about legality of their customers. I am also not too worried. The orange completely threw off the look I was going for with this car. Like I said, it should only have 3 colors on on the outside by the time I am done with it.

For the black chrome I used the only stuff I could find. The duplicolor from autozone. Results are alright, wish it covered more evenly, but it should be alright.

Dupli-Color/Black/clear Shadow chrome black-out coating kit (SHD1000) | | AutoZone.com
Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Not to beat a dead horse, but those side lights, both amber in front and red in the rear, are a safety item, designed to provide drivers with improved directional views of other cars at night on darker roads and intersections. Yes, you can go a lifetime without it, or never get a ticket, but in an unfortunate night accident your insurance claim may be denied.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
macintos

My amber stickers have arrived and will go in my "just in case" glove box. Thanks Chekov, but I am not too worried. If someone misses my WHITE car, and headlights when it is dark out, then I don't think the amber reflectors were going to stop them from hitting me.

Anyways! Here is an UPDATE! Black Chrome grill installed with the blacked out lights. The front end is done! Up next are the rims and hopefully an eibach install.
Attached Thumbnails My Flood Salvage... Build-20140113_184737.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by macintos
My amber stickers have arrived and will go in my "just in case" glove box. Thanks Chekov, but I am not too worried. If someone misses my WHITE car, and headlights when it is dark out, then I don't think the amber reflectors were going to stop them from hitting me.

Anyways! Here is an UPDATE! Black Chrome grill installed with the blacked out lights. The front end is done! Up next are the rims and hopefully an eibach install.
Nice front end work, looking good!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My Flood Salvage... Build