Build Threads

My Flood Salvage... Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:02 AM
macintos

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks JPat, very happy with the way it has turned out. Yeah I was never worried about the side markers too much. Eclipse looks good, I like the license plate mount location! States that require front mounts make me angry, hope Michigan is not headed in that direction.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Unfortunately, I think my car may have been a flood salvaged car, but sold as it was perfectly fine. Did a carfax, autocheck and even had a dealership run the VIN to make sure the warranty wasn't voided, everything is good on those ends.

But, one of my illuminated kick plates looks like it has moisture in it, or had, and I mean a lot of moisture, but the other one is fine and the rear brake light that is located in the window above the trunk, looks to have these white spots, almost like mold. I couldn't think of anything else it could be. The car runs great, all electronics work, no smell of mold or anything, even had my techs look at it and no red flags. It may not have been, but I'm a little nervous when I buy used cars.

Did your car have any of those issues? I don't really think that it is a flood car, but it could be. If you don't think it is, any idea of what the white spots could be?

Also, the interior carpet might have been replaced, it doesn't go up all the way behind the glove box. You can't see where it stops, but when you put your head where the passengers feet go (to vacuum really well or put an LED light in) I can see 2 bolts holding up the carpet and it has about 2-3 inches before it hits the top of the glove box. Again, my techs looked at it and said that's how some of these cars are, but what do you think?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:35 PM
macintos

I am not sure about the spots and condensation you are talking about since I don't have any of that. Nothing on mine luckily shows any sign of water. I have been under my center console and everything was dry and clean. I have been under many interior panels while wiring the subs in the trunk and saw no sign of anything water related or what would have been left over after the water dried up. If concerned you could always replace those parts. Shouldn't be too expensive. Best of luck, I would be pissed if I bought clean title but it actually had been in a flood.
Old 04-10-2014, 06:44 PM
JPat94
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanks, man! The front plates **** me off as well. I'm not a fan of those ugly plate holders. I don't even have mine mounted on the G.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM
macintos

Wanted to show my bass **** install location. Nice and easy to access, control, and conceal. Made the little **** box fit by bending the mounting tabs, then epoxied it to the roof of the enclosure. It pulls out easy if I ever need to get to the rear jack.
Attached Thumbnails My Flood Salvage... Build-20140416_192131.jpg  
Old 04-17-2014, 10:36 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by macintos
I am not sure about the spots and condensation you are talking about since I don't have any of that. Nothing on mine luckily shows any sign of water. I have been under my center console and everything was dry and clean. I have been under many interior panels while wiring the subs in the trunk and saw no sign of anything water related or what would have been left over after the water dried up. If concerned you could always replace those parts. Shouldn't be too expensive. Best of luck, I would be pissed if I bought clean title but it actually had been in a flood.
Thanks for your input. I don't think it is, but I'm just nervous, I have trust issues by nature. The title is clean, it had one owner before and it was only registered in one state, so no chance of "title washing".

I'm sure it's fine, I'm just...weird I guess lol

Best of luck with your build
Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 PM
macintos

I owe you guys some pictures! It has been a little while since I have posted. Car is still running like a champ. Every little noise I assume it has something to do with the salvage title... nothing has come of it yet. I got hard on the throttle at the end of last summer and blew a hose of the radiator. $137 and I was back in business after having it towed to the shop. The mechanic could not believe it was water damaged, so I take that as good news again. I will take some pics in the next day or two.

I installed new front EBC rotors and EBC pads over the previous weekend and while I had the wheels off put 20mm spacers up front also. It looked weird with them only in the back. I did the brakes up front because when braking moderately to hard the steering wheel would shake, which told me it was an up front issue. Looking at the pads up front, I should probably at least change them in the back now also. No more shaking, but I am just breaking (Braking? - HA, I think both work here!) in the new pads. Still love this ride. Started right up after a COLD winter here in Northern Michigan... after I installed a new red-top optima. Went with a 720cca and she starts really nice now. Sometimes I miss the supercharged g35 but then I remember the automatic in it which I felt was a ticking time-bomb.
The following users liked this post:
monytx (03-18-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:10 AM
macintos

Here are some pics as promised! My cutoff is to give me better vision on the passenger side of the road since I live in a wooded area. 20mm spacers all around now.

My Flood Salvage... Build-q8p9j2v.jpg

My Flood Salvage... Build-9bbnf6y.jpg

My Flood Salvage... Build-ozfolpo.jpg

My Flood Salvage... Build-4mcyznz.jpg
The following users liked this post:
Presto (04-14-2016)
Old 04-02-2015, 09:23 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Very nice work!
Did you install the TSX-R lenses in the headlights, cutoff looks much cleaner than OEM.
Everything you've done goes together so well, hats-off!
Old 04-02-2015, 09:39 AM
macintos

Thanks blnewt,
Yes, TSX lens installed when I painted the headlights. I used 1 cut out cereal box spacer to get that cutoff.

Rotor and Pad install went nice and smooth, knocked it out in 3 hours. I like the look of the slotted rotors.
Old 04-03-2015, 04:56 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Your G is looking good
Old 04-13-2016, 08:53 PM
macintos

Update- Sold the car about a year ago. I would like to take this opportunity to explain salvage titles. People claim the retail suck and selling them is a pain... I am frustrated by this type of person, so I should say this-

I buy a salvage car for $14,700. It SHOULD have been $22k, but it is salvage. Car is awesome, I have my fun and mod it as I have in the above posts.

I go to sell salvage car after having my mod fun and also driving it for a year. I sold it for $14,500.

Too many people don't take into account the discount when buying when they are thinking about the sales price. How idiotic is this?
Old 04-13-2016, 11:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
So did you buy another bargain, to have fun with??
You definitely got your moneys worth out of the G.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:11 AM
Kris9884

Received 202 Likes on 186 Posts
Update- Sold the car about a year ago. I would like to take this opportunity to explain salvage titles. People claim the retail suck and selling them is a pain... I am frustrated by this type of person, so I should say this-

I buy a salvage car for $14,700. It SHOULD have been $22k, but it is salvage. Car is awesome, I have my fun and mod it as I have in the above posts.

I go to sell salvage car after having my mod fun and also driving it for a year. I sold it for $14,500.

Too many people don't take into account the discount when buying when they are thinking about the sales price. How idiotic is this?
Nice, so it was like leasing a vehicle for $200 haha. I'd say you definitely came out on top.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:41 AM
GW330
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Do you live off selling cars? Maybe you are experienced.
Its not idiotic, you had a good experience with this particular car. You are never really sure whats hidden behind a salvage title or what you are really getting into. Its a gamble..

Quick Reply: My Flood Salvage... Build