Build Threads

Connor's G37x Build

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 07:50 AM
doublea88
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts
The time has come, lol you must be excited to be putting on the wheels today! Give us a Teaser picture today with the wheels and headlights on the car!
Old 04-24-2014, 09:10 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Received 182 Likes on 128 Posts
Wheels didn't make it on today. Ran into a few roadblocks getting the front end back together. Had to extract a broken screw from on of the fog light housings, also had to make a custom HID harness for both ballasts, and then finally had to get the bumper, the lights, and beam patterns aligned.

Picked up some DRM spacers from my friend Sarah today and I'll be putting those on with my Coupe wheels tomorrow. Should be exciting.

Here is the front end as 2 hours ago. It's already plastered with bugs.

Connor's G37x Build-image-3877911242.jpg

Connor's G37x Build-image-3086089661.jpg
Old 04-24-2014, 09:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Those headlights look wicked, and in a good way, nice job
Old 04-24-2014, 09:58 PM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Looks great man, nicely done!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:34 PM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
You're car's looking very nice Connor! How difficult was the bake/disassembly on the headlights? Are they sealed with something similar to a double-sided tape? Admittedly, I don't know much on this area of our cars.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:43 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Thanks all - they turned out better than I thought they would, especially the color. The lenses on the housings are pitted with rock chips and scratches and are in need of a good wet sand and polish.

The disassembly was easy. The more difficult work was all the roadblocks I hit with the STi-R lens install and the hold up with me forgetting to paint the orange reflectors. During reassembly, I was able to remove most of the original adhesive. I then heated the housings back up to melt the original adhesive, I added some more and tossed it back in the oven. A few minutes later, bonding was ready. Once dry for about an hour, I used additional silicone sealant to seal the entire edge of the housings.
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-25-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 12:51 AM
twin_snails
Premier Member

Received 174 Likes on 114 Posts
I'm thinking of sending mine off to 180customs to be done over the summer. I'm going to probably do gloss back housing, stock chrome projector shrouds, a graphite shadow accent strip and these plasma halo's:

Plasma Halo Kits - ORACLE Halo Kits - ORACLE Automotive Lighting Products

These are probably on youtube, but anyone have a good DIY process for wet sanding and polishing the outside part that gets hazy and hit with rock chips? What does the water do in the sanding process? I'm a noob when it comes to that.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:33 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails
I'm thinking of sending mine off to 180customs to be done over the summer. I'm going to probably do gloss back housing, stock chrome projector shrouds, a graphite shadow accent strip and these plasma halo's:

These are probably on youtube, but anyone have a good DIY process for wet sanding and polishing the outside part that gets hazy and hit with rock chips? What does the water do in the sanding process? I'm a noob when it comes to that.
Gio has a good one on site~
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...storation.html
The following users liked this post:
twin_snails (04-28-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 05:55 AM
RexHavoc
Premier Member

Received 163 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by twin_snails

I was going to follow the DIY but Alex and the team at ONEighty refreshed mine while they were doing the paint and light work.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:06 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

And everything finally came together. Thanks to my pal Jimmy for hooking me up with free mounting and balancing, and another free alignment

Connor's G37x Build-image-615777764.jpg

Connor's G37x Build-image-1150393699.jpg
Old 04-28-2014, 11:55 AM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Some good pics came out of the meet over this past weekend.

Old 05-20-2014, 04:36 PM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Nice work connor. Lots of hours there man!!
Old 05-20-2014, 04:40 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,427 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Some good pics came out of the meet over this past weekend.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
connoisseurr
Premier Member

Haven't been on the site much lately as work has been stacked up towards the end of the year.

I wanted to provide some updates on what I have going on. The car has just been driven over the past few months as I have been traveling for work, holidays and visiting family and friends. I have a few scheduled mods coming up that I'd like to share as well as get some feedback from you all on where to go next.

What's to come in early 2015:
  • Will FINALLY be installing my Akebono BBK in either January or February
  • Will attempt to tackle the LED side mirror project
  • Stillen Transmission Cooler goes on in January 2015 along with a complete drive fluid swap
  • Will begin to look for a set of summer wheels for the car
  • Begin planning a tail light project (smoking, custom brake signals, etc)

As of right now, I'm working on an update to the headlight project I completed back in March/April timeframe. The paint has bubbled over the ridged area directly in front of the projector lens and I believe I have identified how to fix this - using a powdercoat color application versus paint. Yes - you can powdercoat plastic and it is a common thing nowadays. The process is a bit different for applying to plastics versus metals however you are left with a similar, extremely durable coating, unlike the paint most shops/owners have used before. The housings will be finished in a dark gunmetal and I am contemplating with applying the same coating from my calipers to the shrouds within the headlights - more time to think about that over the next few days.

I also picked up a set of the Morimoto XC LED Halo ring kit from TRS for around the projector lens and around the turn signal lens. I will be going with a dual evil ironman design and have begun to mess around with the design using a set of spare G37 sedan projector shrouds I picked up from TRS about a year ago.

Upon doing some digging on the forums, I came across Oracle's products with what they have introduced into the market, in terms of halo lighting technology and am researching if that is a route I want to go. Their "Plasma" line of rings seem VERY bright, a lot brighter than what I have now. I purchased what I have because I liked the ability of being able to change the LED colors with a click of a button via remote control, however white will be the primary color of the DRL and I want to ensure it is BRIGHT during the daytime. More testing to follow.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:16 PM
tai01

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by connoisseurr
Haven't been on the site much lately as work has been stacked up towards the end of the year.

I wanted to provide some updates on what I have going on. The car has just been driven over the past few months as I have been traveling for work, holidays and visiting family and friends. I have a few scheduled mods coming up that I'd like to share as well as get some feedback from you all on where to go next.

What's to come in early 2015:
  • Will FINALLY be installing my Akebono BBK in either January or February
  • Will attempt to tackle the LED side mirror project
  • Stillen Transmission Cooler goes on in January 2015 along with a complete drive fluid swap
  • Will begin to look for a set of summer wheels for the car
  • Begin planning a tail light project (smoking, custom brake signals, etc)

As of right now, I'm working on an update to the headlight project I completed back in March/April timeframe. The paint has bubbled over the ridged area directly in front of the projector lens and I believe I have identified how to fix this - using a powdercoat color application versus paint. Yes - you can powdercoat plastic and it is a common thing nowadays. The process is a bit different for applying to plastics versus metals however you are left with a similar, extremely durable coating, unlike the paint most shops/owners have used before. The housings will be finished in a dark gunmetal and I am contemplating with applying the same coating from my calipers to the shrouds within the headlights - more time to think about that over the next few days.

I also picked up a set of the Morimoto XC LED Halo ring kit from TRS for around the projector lens and around the turn signal lens. I will be going with a dual evil ironman design and have begun to mess around with the design using a set of spare G37 sedan projector shrouds I picked up from TRS about a year ago.

Upon doing some digging on the forums, I came across Oracle's products with what they have introduced into the market, in terms of halo lighting technology and am researching if that is a route I want to go. Their "Plasma" line of rings seem VERY bright, a lot brighter than what I have now. I purchased what I have because I liked the ability of being able to change the LED colors with a click of a button via remote control, however white will be the primary color of the DRL and I want to ensure it is BRIGHT during the daytime. More testing to follow.
Are you going dual evil Ironman design with the LED rings therefore blacking out certain parts with electrical tape or other similar?

Quick Reply: Connor's G37x Build