Build Threads

LOLURMAD's Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 02:26 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by LOLURMAD
Not sure what you mean by vinyl inserts for me wheels? Do you have a reference pic?
I thought you were the one Rochester photoshopped them for. PM Rochester, I'm sure he knows the thread or still has the pics. IMO it would really change the look of those S rims for the better
Old 04-18-2013, 03:06 PM
LOLURMAD

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Rochester get in here!
Old 04-18-2013, 03:11 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,574 Likes on 3,425 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I thought you were the one Rochester photoshopped them for. PM Rochester, I'm sure he knows the thread or still has the pics. IMO it would really change the look of those S rims for the better
That was this, back in late February. Don't remember the thread, but then I had to struggle to remember this picture. You know, I can't imagine vinyl surviving on a wheel, but I'm no vinyl expert.

Anyway, here's the pic: OEM duckfeet with darkened insets. It almost turns them into Sport Coupe rims, but honestly, I wouldn't do it. Too much extra wheel, not enough rotor (assuming you've got the BBK).

Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Rochester get in here!

Anyway...

Printed LOLURMAD's picture on photo paper and took it to a reputable body shop today. Last year they quoted me $125 to prep, paint and coat the center slats. This new idea doubles the effort, while adding stupidly expensive tri-color pearlescent white to the tally. (GD moonlight white, LOL)

Anyway, it's still a whole lot less expensive than 180Custom, and no shipping costs. The only downside is that I trust 180Custom to do this work sight-unseen, based on their online reputation, whereas I feel like I'm gambling with this local shop, even though they've got a good rep around here.

Whichever one I choose, it's happening this Summer. I've a little side-job earning some throw-around money shortly, and this seems like the perfect way to treat myself.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-18-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:28 PM
LOLURMAD

Originally Posted by Rochester
That was this, back in late February. Don't remember the thread, but then I had to struggle to remember this picture. You know, I can't imagine vinyl surviving on a wheel, but I'm no vinyl expert.

Anyway, here's the pic: OEM duckfeet with darkened insets. It almost turns them into Sport Coupe rims, but honestly, I wouldn't do it. Too much extra wheel, not enough rotor (assuming you've got the BBK).

I actually really really like how that looks. But instead of vinyl I'd plasti dip it that way I can rip it off in case I don't like it
Old 04-18-2013, 03:42 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
you can rip vinyl off too. but it looks better than the matte rubbery finish of PD.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:08 PM
LOLURMAD

Originally Posted by sniper27
you can rip vinyl off too. but it looks better than the matte rubbery finish of PD.
Yeah that, and it's less costly.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:31 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Very coincidentally, I was playing with a can of PlastiDip just this week, before the OP's thread came up and spoke to me in deep, mysterious ways. I sprayed a few things, both with many little layers, and a couple thick layers. Enough to form a personal opinion.

And IMO, PlastiDip is not something I'd use on the car.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:30 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

FWIW I vinyl wrapped my previous wheels and they held up really well, had one curbing incident that shredded a bit on teh rim edge but for those inner spokes on the S wheels you wouldn't have that exposure, should be good for the long haul.
Give it a shot MAD, might start a huge trend

Rochester, might give the local place a shot, at least they're nearby if you run into problems.
Old 04-19-2013, 12:06 AM
LOLURMAD

Originally Posted by blnewt
FWIW I vinyl wrapped my previous wheels and they held up really well, had one curbing incident that shredded a bit on teh rim edge but for those inner spokes on the S wheels you wouldn't have that exposure, should be good for the long haul.
Give it a shot MAD, might start a huge trend

Rochester, might give the local place a shot, at least they're nearby if you run into problems.
Yeah I'll try it out soon.

And Rochester make sure they've done work on grills before. I know plenty of people who have had their grills painted by body shops and what not, only to have the grill chip.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 AM
Rochester
Administrator

And Rochester make sure they've done work on grills before. I know plenty of people who have had their grills painted by body shops and what not, only to have the grill chip.
This shop has a rep for custom work, which is why I started talking to them last year: Rochester Collision Center

However, that's still good advice. I'll follow up on that specifically, just to be sure. Thanks for looking out.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:55 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Yeah I'll try it out soon.
It would be pretty easy to make a template out of blue painters tape, just set it inside the spoke area to get the coverage you want, then carefully mark exactly where to make the cuts, remove the tape, cut the template out then transfer to the vinyl. Should make the project pretty easy and you'd have a pattern ready if you need to make any more should you have any damage down the road.
Old 04-19-2013, 01:14 PM
LOLURMAD

I won't be doing vinyl though, I'm gonna try plasti dipping it first.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I won't be doing vinyl though, I'm gonna try plasti dipping it first.
Should be a quick & easy way to see if you even like the look, let us know how it goes.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:15 AM
myg37s8u

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Commin along nice n mean bump for a fellow new Yorker

Quick Reply: LOLURMAD's Build Thread