Build Threads

SunnyD's build thread.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:10 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
SunnyD's build thread.

So the past few days I've seen so-and-so's build thread pop up and its so much fun looking through all the crazy cool things everyone does to customize their cars. I figured it was time for me to do the same.

I have a 2009 G37 Sedan Journey. Here it is after I washed it and hadn't done anything to it yet. (sorry I don't own a super nice camera so its all iphone pics)

Then my brother got me this sticker for my side-view mirrors, which are awesome.

Later on I decided to swap out my domes, doors, trunk, and license plate lights to some baby blue LEDs (this picture sucks, but i feel like enough people have done it so it doesnt matter)
SunnyD's build thread.-v3ivs1a.jpg

Then came the kicker L7, capacitor, and 1000w kicker amp.

Then I dropped it on some Eibachs 2 days ago.
SunnyD's build thread.-fnyigzg.jpg

And I just picked these up today! ACE Convex 20x9 titanium finish
SunnyD's build thread.-acddv5p.jpg

Waiting for the tires (Conti DWS 245/35-20) to come in so I can finally quit staring at the wheels in the garage and actually put them on!

Things I plan on doing still:
-smoking the tail-lights
-changing all the chrome to matte black
-2010 front end swap
-sway bar
-exhaust

Hope ya'll enjoy!
Old 03-31-2013, 04:23 PM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Nice update so far. Can't wait to see the wheels on the car.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:32 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Looking nice so far, really like the mirror stickers, too funny
Have you seen my DIYs on the window trim & taillight tint? I'd highly recommend the GTR style taillights, just adding smoke tint to the whole lens can get you in trouble w/ the police. Let me know if you need the links. Wheels should really add to the look, keep up the good work
BTW, what offsets did you end up with and did you get a good price on the spring swap?

Last edited by blnewt; 03-31-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 04:57 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Have you seen my DIYs on the window trim & taillight tint? I'd highly recommend the GTR style taillights, just adding smoke tint to the whole lens can get you in trouble w/ the police. Let me know if you need the links. Wheels should really add to the look, keep up the good work
BTW, what offsets did you end up with and did you get a good price on the spring swap?
I haven't seen those DIYs but ill definitely search for them! ah true, but i wasnt planning on doing it very dark at all so I hope its not a problem.
I ended up with going with a 35 offset. And a friend back home recommended me to a shop close to home. got it done for 200 so not bad. really nice guy, got it done in 2 hours. told me he'd roll my fenders for me for free if my wheels rubbed so thats definitely a plus.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:07 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by SunnyD89
I haven't seen those DIYs but ill definitely search for them! ah true, but i wasnt planning on doing it very dark at all so I hope its not a problem.
I ended up with going with a 35 offset. And a friend back home recommended me to a shop close to home. got it done for 200 so not bad. really nice guy, got it done in 2 hours. told me he'd roll my fenders for me for free if my wheels rubbed so thats definitely a plus.
Should be fine w/ those offsets, I seriously doubt you'll have any contact in the front unless you really have a hard impact, and even then it'll be minor.

Fair price on the springs for sure, also cool that the guy can help w/ the roll if you have issues. The titanium wheel finish should go great w/ your G.
Here's the links, the tails done GTR style end up looking almost factory. If you're interested I can send you the cutouts for a perfect result.
Car's coming together nicely, and you're doing a fine job stimulating the economy
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
DIY~Window trim vinyl wrap 07-current Sedans - G35Driver
Old 03-31-2013, 05:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
And I just picked these up today! ACE Convex 20x9 titanium finish
Been browsing around looking at tons of pictures of these rims on cars, and I have to say those are some fine looking wheels.

The 20x9" rims are 28 pounds, btw.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:22 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Should be fine w/ those offsets, I seriously doubt you'll have any contact in the front unless you really have a hard impact, and even then it'll be minor.

Fair price on the springs for sure, also cool that the guy can help w/ the roll if you have issues. The titanium wheel finish should go great w/ your G.
Here's the links, the tails done GTR style end up looking almost factory. If you're interested I can send you the cutouts for a perfect result.
Car's coming together nicely, and you're doing a fine job stimulating the economy
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...ils-sedan.html
DIY~Window trim vinyl wrap 07-current Sedans - G35Driver
Yea I doubt ill have any rubbing issues either. It was you who told me I could run 35 no problem and i trust ya haha. oh that looks really good actually. id probably go a few shades lighter but it looks very nice on your car with everything else blacked out. Ill definitely get in touch with you whenever i find time to go through with it for sure!
thanks!

Originally Posted by Rochester
Been browsing around looking at tons of pictures of these rims on cars, and I have to say those are some fine looking wheels.

The 20x9" rims are 28 pounds, btw.
Thanks! I think they look pretty sick. Cant wait to actually put them on. and 28 lbs, not too bad. didnt know that before i bought em haha. I had spent almost a year looking for the right wheels and in the end the weight thing just slipped out of my mind. I just wanted wheels, and i wanted them now. hahaha
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,571 Likes on 3,422 Posts
You've got a set in boxes. Put one in your hands, weigh yourself. Set it down and weigh yourself again. Check the math.

They are a nice design, with a gentle line on the machined face. And that titanium finish is appealing, even though I suspect it's more appealing in the box than on the car. The only thing that feels a little awkward is the way the machined face gives you a sense of continuity which is then broken up at the cap. It's like the eye is going where you think it should go, then makes a weird detour. But since there is no "machined face" with the titanium finish, you don't really have that issue.

I get the whole thing about taking your time, and I will likely be going for years still before I turn attention to the rims. Until then, all I've done is make note in my big spreadsheet of car stuff, where the only rims that's seriously caught my eye are the Vossen VVS CV3, and the VVS CV7...

...until now. So thanks for that.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:47 PM
MrSeafoo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can't wait to see w the rims. Per your other thread, did you end up finding a a good price on the spring install?

Seafoo
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Rochester
You've got a set in boxes. Put one in your hands, weigh yourself. Set it down and weigh yourself again. Check the math.

They are a nice design, with a gentle line on the machined face. And that titanium finish is appealing, even though I suspect it's more appealing in the box than on the car. The only thing that feels a little awkward is the way the machined face gives you a sense of continuity which is then broken up at the cap. It's like the eye is going where you think it should go, then makes a weird detour. But since there is no "machined face" with the titanium finish, you don't really have that issue.

I get the whole thing about taking your time, and I will likely be going for years still before I turn attention to the rims. Until then, all I've done is make note in my big spreadsheet of car stuff, where the only rims that's seriously caught my eye are the Vossen VVS CV3, and the VVS CV7...

...until now. So thanks for that.
haha well glad i could be of assistance unintentionally. I'll definitely post pics once i get them on and then you can get a better feel for em

Originally Posted by MrSeafoo
Can't wait to see w the rims. Per your other thread, did you end up finding a a good price on the spring install?

Seafoo
thanks, i cant wait either haha. i got them installed for 200 bucks, which i think is a good price
Old 04-01-2013, 12:57 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
the R8 in the mirror is a nice touch.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:20 AM
amt120

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Were you going to wrap the grille yourself or find a shop to do it? Reason I ask is in my experience, there's aren't a lot of shops willing to do the grille on the 2007-2009s.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:10 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sniper27
the R8 in the mirror is a nice touch.
Its actually an ongoing thing i've been doing. heres a phantom lol
SunnyD's build thread.-fdji22d.jpg

Originally Posted by amt120
Were you going to wrap the grille yourself or find a shop to do it? Reason I ask is in my experience, there's aren't a lot of shops willing to do the grille on the 2007-2009s.
Yea I assumed there werent many that would, and vinyling is something i do want to become good at because theres so much you can do if youre good at it. i'll probably take a shot...or two...or three at it whenever i get around to it haha
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Its actually an ongoing thing i've been doing. heres a phantom lol

Yea I assumed there werent many that would, and vinyling is something i do want to become good at because theres so much you can do if youre good at it. i'll probably take a shot...or two...or three at it whenever i get around to it haha
Be sure to find a M3 in your mirror, just to rile up the few of the loyalists

As far as your grill, I've wrapped a few of them, had a couple guys send me their grills. If you need some tips when you get ready to do it just send a PM. They're not too tough, I thought the mirror covers were harder.
Old 04-01-2013, 12:51 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Be sure to find a M3 in your mirror, just to rile up the few of the loyalists

As far as your grill, I've wrapped a few of them, had a couple guys send me their grills. If you need some tips when you get ready to do it just send a PM. They're not too tough, I thought the mirror covers were harder.
hahah most definitely. i should install one of those go-cams to record that side-view mirror at all times just so i dont miss my chance lol.

awesome, youre the best. Ill definitely hollar at you when i get around to that part of this project

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SunnyD's build thread.