SunnyD's build thread.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 09:20 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by AllReD
Thanks Sunny,

I'm not lowered and was looking at 19x8.5 +35 which retracts 6mm compared to yours. 6mm doesn't sound like much but how do you think it will affect the look?

I live in a really mountainous area so 20s look like they're gonna kill my acceleration and fuel eco.

This site has them ACE ALLOY WHEELS CONVEX 19 inch Rims Hyper Silver with Machined Wheels

for 1120.00 and about 1650 for a package any know if this site is reputable?

Thanks again.
I'll let Sunny reply to the look aspect, but as far as killing acceleration & fuel economy, you shouldn't really notice much difference. I'm running heavier 20s than my stock rims (27lb front rims and 29.5lb rear) and 245 front, 295 rear tires and my hwy mpg is still averaging about 28.5 (and I typically drive 80mph on the hwy). Acceleration has had no noticeable decline, there may be a bit, but the better launch and road holding from the wider tires makes it worth any slight loss in overall acceleration.

The main thing you'll notice going to 20s is the firmer ride and you'll feel the bumps in the road, especially crappy city roads a bit more. The lower profile, stiffer sidewalls provide nice cornering stability too

Oh, and 19" tires typically cost quite a bit more than the 20" sizes, so if you keep the wheels through 3 sets of tires the higher 20" wheel cost is offset.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:28 AM
AllReD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
I'll let Sunny reply to the look aspect, but as far as killing acceleration & fuel economy, you shouldn't really notice much difference. I'm running heavier 20s than my stock rims (27lb front rims and 29.5lb rear) and 245 front, 295 rear tires and my hwy mpg is still averaging about 28.5 (and I typically drive 80mph on the hwy). Acceleration has had no noticeable decline, there may be a bit, but the better launch and road holding from the wider tires makes it worth any slight loss in overall acceleration.

The main thing you'll notice going to 20s is the firmer ride and you'll feel the bumps in the road, especially crappy city roads a bit more. The lower profile, stiffer sidewalls provide nice cornering stability too

Oh, and 19" tires typically cost quite a bit more than the 20" sizes, so if you keep the wheels through 3 sets of tires the higher 20" wheel cost is offset.
Wow, now I'm back to the drawing board again .

I'm thinking 17 to 20 might be too pimped if you know what I mean.

Fuel is important to me because I leave in the Caribbean, $6.20 a gallon and you can't go 100 yards without climbing a freaking mountain/hill. Roads are pretty ok so comfort shouldn't be a big issue.

Will have to think this through but Sunny's answer might cast the deciding vote.

thanks.
Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Fuel is important to me because I leave in the Caribbean, $6.20 a gallon and you can't go 100 yards without climbing a freaking mountain/hill. Roads are pretty ok so comfort shouldn't be a big issue.

Will have to think this through but Sunny's answer might cast the deciding vote.

thanks.
Re-reading your post it sounds like you don't plan on lowering your G, if you keep it at stock height I'd get the smaller diameter wheels, as you go up in diameter the fender gap looks bigger, it's an optical illusion somewhat, but 20s won't look as nice as 19s would on a stock G.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:10 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Nice to see you posting Sunny it's been awhile, hope all is well w/ your G
I figured I might as well send him to the source as you know firsthand how it's working out. Post more pics when you can.
I've been studying hard getting ready to take my med school board exams in a week from now so ive just been lurking around reading posts during my breaks. ill be back on here to rival your post numbers soon enough haha.

ill post more pics after june 21st (last boards date)

Thanks Sunny,

I'm not lowered and was looking at 19x8.5 +35 which retracts 6mm compared to yours. 6mm doesn't sound like much but how do you think it will affect the look?

I live in a really mountainous area so 20s look like they're gonna kill my acceleration and fuel eco.

This site has them ACE ALLOY WHEELS CONVEX 19 inch Rims Hyper Silver with Machined Wheels

for 1120.00 and about 1650 for a package any know if this site is reputable?

Thanks again.
blnewt back me up here but i dont think youll have any problems getting the wheels to fit with a +35 offset if youre not lowered (blnewt is the one who helped me with my offsets so hes the better one to ask about that)

as for that site, i came across it too when i was searching for these wheels and when i googled reviews about them, some were good and some were bad. its kinda gonna be a flip of the coin if you decide to use them. (i suggest doing a quick google search on any website just to see what people complain about them haha)

thanks.
i went from 17 to 20s on my car and i think it looks amazing...BUT im lowered on eibachs. if you don't plan to lower your car, 19s is the way to go. 20s will look too much like youre riding on stilts.

as for fuel econ, the hills are gonna kill your mileage more than the larger wheels. i agree with newt that the pros outweigh the cons on bigger/fatter wheels and tires.

Re-reading your post it sounds like you don't plan on lowering your G, if you keep it at stock height I'd get the smaller diameter wheels, as you go up in diameter the fender gap looks bigger, it's an optical illusion somewhat, but 20s won't look as nice as 19s would on a stock G.
yes agreed. 19s if you dont plan to lower.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:59 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

I believe your stock offsets are +45 and a 7.5" rim. Not being lowered your wheels will poke out a bit more than a dropped stance, but 8.5" +35 is only 5mm out from my front setup and you'll have a bit of romm up there, won't have to worry about rubbing since you're up at stock height. You may hit the inner fender roll on the front under a real harsh compression but that would be a rare occurrence. Keep in mind that package deal you listed comes w/ some real bargain tires, probably not the best place to save a few bucks.
Old 06-08-2013, 04:07 PM
AllReD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe your stock offsets are +45 and a 7.5" rim. Not being lowered your wheels will poke out a bit more than a dropped stance, but 8.5" +35 is only 5mm out from my front setup and you'll have a bit of romm up there, won't have to worry about rubbing since you're up at stock height. You may hit the inner fender roll on the front under a real harsh compression but that would be a rare occurrence. Keep in mind that package deal you listed comes w/ some real bargain tires, probably not the best place to save a few bucks.

Sorry to highjack Sunny's thread I hope he doesn't mind.

I don't have any immediate plans to drop the car so I will follow the advice given and go for the 19s.

If I read you correct 8.5 +35 is the way to go?

Regarding the package I won't be doing those budget tires (DZ101, S-Drive or Ventus) but the wheels only go for about 1200.00 which seems pretty good. I did a few searches about the site prior to asking and like Sunny said its a mixed bag with a bit more positive reviews. They are listed as a preferred dealer on the Ace Alloy website so that maybe a bit of comfort.

Do you guys know of anyone else who sells these at reasonable price, maybe local to you? I need to consider shipping and import duties.

Thanks again and good luck Sunny with the exams.
Old 06-09-2013, 05:28 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Sorry to highjack Sunny's thread I hope he doesn't mind.

I don't have any immediate plans to drop the car so I will follow the advice given and go for the 19s.

If I read you correct 8.5 +35 is the way to go?

Regarding the package I won't be doing those budget tires (DZ101, S-Drive or Ventus) but the wheels only go for about 1200.00 which seems pretty good. I did a few searches about the site prior to asking and like Sunny said its a mixed bag with a bit more positive reviews. They are listed as a preferred dealer on the Ace Alloy website so that maybe a bit of comfort.

Do you guys know of anyone else who sells these at reasonable price, maybe local to you? I need to consider shipping and import duties.

Thanks again and good luck Sunny with the exams.
Yea hijack away i don't. i re-hijack it with pics later haha. and yes like newt said, +35 shouldnt cause you any problems unless you hit something really hard and then might get a little rub.

anyone that sells them reasonable: like i said i got a great deal from discount tire but they might not do that everywhere.

and thanks a lot! ill need all the luck i can get.

Originally Posted by Mafgria
the R8 in the mirror is a nice touch.
i thought so myself. its kinda an ongoing thing. i have more pictures around here somewhere. still waiting for that M3 in the mirror for newt haha.
The following 2 users liked this post by SunnyD89:
AllReD (06-17-2013), blnewt (06-09-2013)
Old 06-02-2014, 08:12 PM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Nice progress. I do find the rims interesting.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:33 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Mia

So I know I've been MIA for a while but the mod bug came itching again and theres some big changes coming. Most recently I ended up throwing on a new exhaust (ill have to post pictures of it installed soon since I was so frustrated with 4 of my bolts being seized and nearly impossible to take off that I didnt take pictures while I was putting it on). Ended up getting the J2 catback since I had spent so on my other upgrades that had been ordered that the wife was starting to notice haha.

I also had new heads and tails done and they havent arrived yet but my buddy Johnathan posted a demo video of them before shipping them out on youtube.

There is loud techno music so be fore-warned to turn down your sound haha.

And on another note I just got my tracking number from carbon signal so as soon as I get those parts in I'll post those pics

Finally I had a separate thread about a custom front bumper I'm having made but forgot I had this build thread since I hadnt been on here in so long so Ill post updates to that here and delete that separate post incase anyone had come across it.

Stay tuned!
Old 11-18-2016, 08:59 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Been wondering where you'd been, looking forward to this!
Old 11-18-2016, 10:05 AM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

Been wondering where you'd been, looking forward to this!
Haha good to be back. Ill have to search around and see whats new with your ride!

Also, Johnathan is one of the few who will work on tail lights ever since our old friend LumenEyez left the scene to pursue his real-estate career. He does full custom builds and has done some impressive work on coupe tails as well which are posted on his website. JPcustoms901 is his company. Tell him SunnyD sent ya if you're lookin to get some work done.

And of course I couldn't not talk about the Grand Tour. Great to have those 3 crazy fools back on TV. If you haven't seen the premier, check it out. You won't regret it!
Old 02-07-2018, 07:17 PM
SunnyD89
Registered Member

So its been a year in the making but its finally done!...almost

Before

After

Still got to work out the bottom liner. Have it just screwed into a few places here and there until i can figure out what to do with it. I may just take it off. Also currently don't have a water reservoir since we couldn't get it to fit.

More pictures to come once its not raining cats and dogs outside
Old 02-07-2018, 08:04 PM
user 3587587
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
wow that bumper is very different. I think I like it.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:10 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
oh wow thats a real pic? looks koo man . i hope u got some cool sides to go with the cool gs front.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:46 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

In for more details/pics, liking that look, especially since you have the same bumper (previously) as mine