Build Threads

Rochester's new G

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 09:34 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,587 Likes on 3,433 Posts
Originally Posted by xpcgamer
I saw that but I wondered if you put a hash on the thread collar so you know the exact spot you pass that mark with.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Well honestly, I think it's easier to measure your floor to fender height, then approximate the change you want to make by knowing every full rotation is 1/10th inch.

And like you said, once you get where you want to be, you're done.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:37 PM
Rochester
Administrator

This morning's alignment process went extremely well. The Infiniti technician allowed me to hang out while he worked on the car, and direct the camber settings according. It was pretty cool.

Right now, all four corners are exactly at 26 3/4" height floor to fender, thanks to the rear Tein Coilovers. After the alignment, toe is solidly in the center-green on all four, and rear camber is dialed in exactly the way I want... in consideration to height, wheel & tire, that would be -2.2* and -2.3*. There's a 1/2 degree discrepancy in the front, but that's really not that noticeable because it's still mostly straight up, and the fronts are only 8.5" wide wheels without any poke. (Truth is, I have 3mm spacers on the front to push it out a little to match the rears.)

Overall, it looks great. I couldn't be happier in this moment.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-24-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:48 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
one tip that I can give you guys is that when it gets hard to turn the ring take a large diameter pipe that will fit over the spanner wrench it acts like a breaker bar. I use the handle of my jack after the car is up.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:01 PM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
Very nice Rochester.
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (08-25-2015)
Old 08-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
Very nice Rochester.
Thanks, Guy. Pics someday real soon.

I'm thinking of going back to the roof of my wife's ramp garage before sunset, to catch the end-of-day light on a totally flat surface, without any other cars around. That should showcase the new ride height configuration really nicely.

I have to say, driving it around yesterday, walking away and back to the car, I'm feeling so good about this now. Somewhat the way I felt for the first week or two after the second attempt with poly bushings (before they blew out), but even better because now it's freaking perfect. Perfect height, perfect camber. Well... perfect according to what I want, being subjective and all.

Anyway, very happy, man.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM
lobuzz311
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester
I have to say, driving it around yesterday, walking away and back to the car, I'm feeling so good about this now.
[...]
Anyway, very happy, man.
Glad you've got it sorted out! It seems like you're pretty satisfied with the rear half of the coils. Any timeframe on getting the fronts done?

If these coils at the 600 or so pricepoint are at least as good as the stock S dampers + Swift combo, I might be going that route & selling the springs. I want to dial in the height and fitment, and I'm not 100% happy with where my Swifts sit (about .5 inches higher than your readings... )
Old 08-25-2015, 02:06 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by lobuzz311
Any timeframe on getting the fronts done?
Some time next year. Since the ride quality with the Swift/SPC/Tein combo is just as good as before, getting the fronts installed has become a low priority. Plus, I'll probably buy the SPC kit for the front before that install.

For 2016 I'm planning on 4.083 rear gears in the Spring, and a TWM Short Shifter in the Summer. The point being, as a mod, the front Teins go into my back pocket and pulled out again when I've got an itch to do something to the car because I haven't done anything in a while. So in that context, maybe Fall 2016. Or maybe 2017.

Plans change all the time.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:19 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Just got mine installed and I am sitting at about your same height. Perhaps a tad lower? I was only going to get the front camber arms as the rear has some adjustment in it. Gonna give the car a week to settle before I take it to the alignment shop. ? what did you pay for the alignment? I could 3 alignments for 139 or life time for 189. Thinking of the 3 for 139. I'll slap up a pic when I get home.
Old 08-25-2015, 04:17 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Just got mine installed and I am sitting at about your same height. Perhaps a tad lower?
You probably are lower. Remember, I'm almost at full extent, approximately 14-15 threads down the collar.

I was only going to get the front camber arms as the rear has some adjustment in it. Gonna give the car a week to settle before I take it to the alignment shop. ? what did you pay for the alignment? I could 3 alignments for 139 or life time for 189. Thinking of the 3 for 139. I'll slap up a pic when I get home.
$89 + tax for one 4-wheel alignment at the Infiniti Dealership. 3 for $139 is a great deal... if you like the shop, I'd say snag that.

You don't need to wait a week to settle. Just drive it around, and by the end of the day you'll be wherever you're going to end up. Earlier this year, when I was d1cking around with bushings, I was barely driving it, and waited for a few days for things to settle. This time around there's no soft rubber in the top-seat to settle into, so all the "settling" is in the spring. It will occur pretty quick, just drive the car.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:50 PM
xpcgamer
Registered Member

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
I posted the info in the Sedan Chat but here is a quick side shot.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
ColumbiaSkinny

Received 74 Likes on 63 Posts
Hey Rochester, curious as to why you went with the 2.5" piping instead of the 2.25" with yer Fast Intentions CBE?

Was is it for sound reasons? Performance? SC/TT set up in yer future?

On their web page for the sedan CBE system regarding the 2.5" they
(Recommended ONLY for cars with forced induction)
Just wanted to know if maybe i'm missing something as to that being the better size to go with on the VQ.

If you mentioned it earlier in this thread i apologize if i over looked it. 65 pages is a lot to read through and i did read yer review on the CBE but i didn't see anything as to why you chose the 2.5" (unless i completely over looked it then to and need reading glasses...[/quote]
Old 08-26-2015, 12:52 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ColumbiaSkinny
Hey Rochester, curious as to why you went with the 2.5" piping instead of the 2.25" with yer Fast Intentions CBE?
The thinking was a 2.5" piping would support a deeper tone, while the 18" resonators in the mid-pipes, the little resonators in the cats, and the resonated tips, would work together to modulate that tone.

Was I right? IDK. I don't have a point of reference. Sure is sexy, though.

The OEM piping on the Coupe is close to 2.5", so really a 1/4" difference in piping diameter for the Sedan shouldn't matter. A better way to look at FI's recommendation is that if you're going forced-induction, then you absolutely want the larger diameter pipes, but that doesn't mean it's detrimental if you're not FI. It strikes me somewhat odd that Fast Intentions would phrase that comment in that manner.

I had a 2.5" catback on my 5.5 Gen Maxima, and it was eventually figured out that the 3.0" catback provided the best gains. With that in mind, I assumed no issues going 2.5" on the G37.

So it's all just gut feeling decisions, based on hearsay and some personal experience. It's entirely possible that a before/after dyno would have proven me mistaken. Yet I clearly gained power under the curve when I added the catback to my (untuned) set-up.

Last edited by Rochester; 08-26-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:58 PM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
the ARK catback is 2.5" diameter so I went with 2.5" RHFC (coupe ones) on my sedan to match the catback. sounds great! but I still get the hiss on hard acceleration which I just play off as my BOV in my head lol
Old 08-26-2015, 01:01 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by ChinkyChoy
the ARK catback is 2.5" diameter
That, too. Good point.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Rooftop Pics

Some new pictures, with the early evening light at the top of the roof garage at our local hospital.

The following users liked this post:
Hammer208S (08-27-2015)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G