Received 102 Likes on 79 Posts
nice additions man.. the badges look great
The following users liked this post:
Rochester (06-08-2020)
Old 06-12-2020, 03:59 PM
Cjandura
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
So Rochester what are your opinions about some SSR GTX01's in 20x10.5 +22 on the G i been looking for options and came down to the SSR's and Work emotions zr10's. You always stood the midline weighing more on function vs style so i value your opinion.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:55 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,594 Likes on 3,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Cjandura
So Rochester what are your opinions about some SSR GTX01's in 20x10.5 +22 on the G i been looking for options and came down to the SSR's and Work emotions zr10's. You always stood the midline weighing more on function vs style so i value your opinion.
I'm a poor resource for those opinions. Try posting that question in the Wheels forum: https://www.myg37.com/forums/wheels-and-tires-406/

To me, those wheels look unremarkable, an awful lot like the Enkie Draco (https://enkei.com/shop/wheels/performance/draco)

Also, to get a 10.5" rear wheel in play on these cars, you have to be perfect. It's hard to be perfect.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:48 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 305 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by Rochester

Like you, I’ve resorted to sticking random things on my car over the last year or so. 370GT on the back, 3.7 on the fenders, body side moldings (along the doors) and recently GT on the front grille. Writing it out makes it seem even more excessive, and I think I’ve probably gone too far and should dial it back.

That said, even after making all of these changes to your car over the years (bet there are more than I can even find in this shot), you’ve made sure they’re all harmonious with each other and follow a similar aesthetic, which I think is key to modifying a car (all my opinion, of course). Your car doesn’t look overdone at all, even though you’ve done so much to it. Attention to detail and careful planning sure go a long way.
Rochester (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 09:03 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by STownSaint
Like you, I’ve resorted to sticking random things on my car over the last year or so. 370GT on the back, 3.7 on the fenders, body side moldings (along the doors) and recently GT on the front grille. Writing it out makes it seem even more excessive, and I think I’ve probably gone too far and should dial it back.

That said, even after making all of these changes to your car over the years (bet there are more than I can even find in this shot), you’ve made sure they’re all harmonious with each other and follow a similar aesthetic, which I think is key to modifying a car (all my opinion, of course). Your car doesn’t look overdone at all, even though you’ve done so much to it. Attention to detail and careful planning sure go a long way.
That was very kind and thoughtful. Thanks!

Not as many badges and decals as you might think, though:

Replaced INFINITI with SKYLINE on the trunk.
Removed the G37S badge and relocated it to the engine bay.
Custom 4DSC decals on the fixed, backseat windows.
Custom Infiniti badge in the engine bay, and passenger dash trim.

And that's it. I've been toying with an idea for the last few years, however. Using the Fast Intentions flame logo (no text) in the lower front quarter panels. It's just an idea. Keeps rattling around in my head. However, like you said... there is a point which is "too far", and that might be it. IDK.

Thing is, every time I photoshop the idea, I back off and think it's too racerboy, and I don't pursue it any further. On the plus side, it color-balances with the rear tails on a white car. That red-2-red sight-line is actually a pretty cool rake effect. And to the uninitiated it's just a flame lick, but to me it's a nod to Fast Intentions, so it's personal. But on the negative side, it's a little over the top, and at the end of the day any "flame" anything on a sedan looks somewhat childish.

Here, I shopped it up again for review:

Last edited by Rochester; 06-15-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:56 PM
RobC7
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 186 Posts
Flame = Lame

Carry on.
2GoRNot2G (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Originally Posted by RobC7
Flame = Lame

Carry on.
LOL Thanks, Rob. Generally speaking, you're not wrong.

Last edited by Rochester; 06-15-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 04:36 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 305 Likes on 240 Posts
How about an R34 “GT” fender badge, as an homage to the skyline heritage? OEM parts are readily available.

Not gonna lie, I had considered them for my car, but I think my front fenders would fall off if a stick anymore junk on them...

Old 06-15-2020, 06:25 PM
Rochester
Administrator

I don't think so. I mean, I can rationalize SKYLINE because it was a SKYLINE in the Japanese market. And I can rationalize the custom Infiniti badge, because it is an Infiniti. But I can't do that GT, that crosses the line for me.

Years ago, at a Canadian meet-up, I saw a Coupe where the lower driver's side door had a whole collection of decals all lined up... all performance brands. Except this guy had them all recreated in the same color gray, and likely sized similarly too. Being the same color and all, that was a pretty good look. Not saying I'm going to do that (not at all), but I'd be lying if the idea didn't catch my interest back then.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:28 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Received 697 Likes on 499 Posts
Rochester, the Infiniti badge in your engine bay looks good and the one on your dash is growing on me. I agree that the red flames on your front fender seem out of place. You have done such a good job of keeping your car looking clean and not over the top like me that those flames look odd on your car. I think I am in the same position of running out of things to do to my car. It is nice to be able to just enjoy the car for a while and not have to worry about which mod comes next.

I have thought about those GT badges for the fender and I even thought of one for the front grille like they do with the GT-R badge due to my new Skyline badges, but I didn't think it looked right on my car. Have you ever thought about those?
Old 06-15-2020, 06:31 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

Years ago, at a Canadian meet-up, I saw a Coupe where the lower driver's side door had a whole collection of decals all lined up... all performance brands. Except this guy had them all recreated in the same color gray, and likely sized similarly too. Being the same color and all, that was a pretty good look. Not saying I'm going to do that (not at all), but I'd be lying if the idea didn't catch my interest back then.
I think on the right car that can be a neat idea, but it also seems like a shopping list for car thieves. "Well let's see, they have a Borla exhaust, Greddy turbos, JIC coilovers, etc. Let's steal this one!"
Old 06-15-2020, 06:32 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Love that new little cursive badge. Makes me smile every time I get in the car.

No flames, no worries. It was a momentary thing, tied to Fast Intentions.

That said, it looks much better in silver than red.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:33 PM
4DRZ
Registered Member

No flames, no worries. It was a momentary thing, tied to Fast Intentions.

That said, it looks much better in silver than red.
Uh oh Rochester
Lego_Maniac (06-16-2020)
Old 06-16-2020, 11:35 AM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
I have to say that seeing it 'shopped onto the car, even in silver it will just look like little flames. And oddly out of place. Shame FIs logo isn't more... logo. (yes I still have the vinyl cutter collecting dust in a closet - gave away the laptop with the cutter software so need to find a way around that). Even if you put the fast intentions as text below the logo, it's just a reason to get a ticket instead of a warning.

I've seen many an import show car with the line of logos up the fender and/or along the rocker panel. I had that on my 91 RX7 that made it into super street (likely because of the logos). All similarly sized and same color vinyl. It has its place... show or race car, absolutely. Street rod/dadcar, maybe not so much.
Rochester (06-16-2020)

Quick Reply: Rochester's new G