Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Will different tire diameter throw a code?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2023, 01:29 PM
BOOSTTT
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Will different tire diameter throw a code?

Hello. I'm new to this forum, but have tons of activity on Twinturbo.net and sixspeedonline forums. This is my first G. 2012 G37 sport convertible. I've already replaced the flapper gear (convertible top issue) with carbon fiber wheels from Ebay. Those are great. Just did a cold air intake that has improved MPG's, sound and a little HP gain.
I just lowered her with TEIN springs and putting on adjustable struts today or tomorrow.
My question is: My TPMS will not go off since I put on new wheels and tires. Got them from Fitment Industries with pre-programmed TPS, but the tire warning light will not go off. Never seen the light with my factory Enkie wheels and nitrogen filled 225/45 245/40 tires. I was having difficulty getting in and out of my driveway due to no clearance, when I lowed her and went to 235/35 tires, so I removed the rear wheel liner and switched from a square set-up with 19 235/35 to my factory rear wheels 245/45. The fronts are still 235/35. Discount tire set up the TPMS for me, but a mile down the road, the yellow exclamation light came on with the tire pressure warning light this time. Not just the tire pressure light this time. So. Can the 6% difference in diameter from front to back throw a code due to the speed sensors being possibly too far out of range? My next question is: Is this INFINITI going to allow me to use a basic code reader, or is that risky? My Porsche's can only use a Porsche scanner. I need to know before I plug in my cheapy BAFX bluetooth to look for a code. I tried shorting the TPSM plug just behind the OBD2 port so the learning mode would activate, which it did, but didn't accept the readings after blinking for a while.
I guess that leads me to the next question....Sorry. My seats now have no power or the dome light, but the lumbar bags still work on both seats. I tested every fuse in the kick box and in front of the car battery. They are all good, so now I'm stuck.
I know that's a several questions in my first post, but that's where I am at this point. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thx guys!

This is with 235/35 square. Dropped about 2 inches.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:21 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,430 Posts
I can't help you, but I am struck by how pretty your car is in that shot, so I thought I'd say so. I'm a sucker for a clean Vert with its top up.

Welcome, and good luck finding answers. Your best shot is to separate each of your issues into their own threads, or bump old threads that speak to your problem.
The following users liked this post:
BOOSTTT (06-16-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 02:46 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,257 Likes on 1,018 Posts
I am quite sure that 6% difference is going to cause a lot of issues with the ABS/ VDC systems. Generally, you would want 3% or less of a difference in diameter to keep everything "happy." I am sure the tire gurus here will chime in on the specifics.

You can use any OBD-reader. Infiniti doesn't care. In fact, I also use the BAFX reader paired with OBDFusion (app).

Are you 100% sure that the "TPMS plug" you shorted in order to activate the learning mode was, in fact, the TPMS plug? Your 2012 should not have this plug. Not to say it can't, but, are you sure?

Being you have electrical issues, more than likely as a result of the plug you grounded, you probably blew a fuse. Keep in mind there are three (3) fuse blocks: left driver footwell (specifically, 10amp "ROOM LAMP"), battery positive (+) terminal, and IPDM/er (large module to left of battery). Do the lights in the sun visors, door, and/or trunk work? Or just the "dome?" What doesn't work with the seats?

And, to echo Rochester's compliment, it truly is a beautiful machine- top up or down. My only regret with this platform was not waiting for a 'Vert when I was car shopping way back when. Oh well... Lots of luck with it!

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-15-2023 at 03:27 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ILM-NC G37S:
BOOSTTT (06-16-2023), stealthee (06-15-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 09:43 PM
BOOSTTT
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ILM-NC G37S
I am quite sure that 6% difference is going to cause a lot of issues with the ABS/ VDC systems. Generally, you would want 3% or less of a difference in diameter to keep everything "happy." I am sure the tire gurus here will chime in on the specifics.

You can use any OBD-reader. Infiniti doesn't care. In fact, I also use the BAFX reader paired with OBDFusion (app).

Are you 100% sure that the "TPMS plug" you shorted in order to activate the learning mode was, in fact, the TPMS plug? Your 2012 should not have this plug. Not to say it can't, but, are you sure?

Being you have electrical issues, more than likely as a result of the plug you grounded, you probably blew a fuse. Keep in mind there are three (3) fuse blocks: left driver footwell (specifically, 10amp "ROOM LAMP"), battery positive (+) terminal, and IPDM/er (large module to left of battery). Do the lights in the sun visors, door, and/or trunk work? Or just the "dome?" What doesn't work with the seats?

And, to echo Rochester's compliment, it truly is a beautiful machine- top up or down. My only regret with this platform was not waiting for a 'Vert when I was car shopping way back when. Oh well... Lots of luck with it!
Thank you very much for complimenting my G! I appreciate the recommendations too.
I sold my 2008 Porsche Boxster so I could buy her and have plenty of cash left to do lots of upgrades.
It's nice to know I can use the cheap code reader. Thx for the info.
About the wire I grounded. It is a plug that goes to nothing at all just taped directly behind the OBD2 port. I'm not 100% positive it's the TPMS plug, but it sure looks to be from the other posts I read about it. It has 2 wires. I grounded the green one.
I'm starting to believe it was not the correct wire to ground. Especially after my seats stopped working. Hahaha...I thought it would be fuse 10, but it's not and I tested all the small fuses in the kick panel, just behind the opening. I didn't pull the larger ones in the kick panel. I did pull all the fuses just in the one fuse block in front of the battery. I will test more tomorrow.
Thank you very much for the input.
Old 06-15-2023, 10:00 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTTT
...About the wire I grounded. It is a plug that goes to nothing at all just taped directly behind the OBD2 port. I'm not 100% positive it's the TPMS plug, but it sure looks to be from the other posts I read about it. It has 2 wires. I grounded the green one.
That is not the TPMS check switch plug. If it were, there would only be one (1) white wire.

I am sure I can figure out what that connector is for (unless it is something aftermarket). It will satiate my curiosity and also give me something to do while watching my soap operas, What color was the plug itself and the color of other wire?

So, at least now we know that you likely blew a fuse somewhere. With troubleshooting you can figure it out. Luckily, the electrics on these cars are pretty tough/ well built.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 06-16-2023 at 09:44 AM.
BOOSTTT (06-15-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 06:31 PM
BOOSTTT
Registered Member

It was the "room lamp" fuse that was blown. I thought I had already tested every fuse in the kick panel, so I removed the battery and check all the others in that area which were all fine. Went back to the kick panel block and found it. I feel so stupid. LOL I must have skipped it somehow. After getting the battery in, It was doing a "beep-beep" that sounded like it was from the back of the driver's seat. It sounded like the vert top beeper, so I just opened and closed the trunk and then the top, and it stopped. My OBD2 reader found no faults or stored faults, but the yellow exclamation warning and tire pressure warning lights were still on. It was last touched by Discount tire right before my first post. I'll be going back to them again to see what's up with the sensors. I'll probably just have them remove my old tires and new front tires to replace the factory sensor back in. I put the factory ones back in on the rears already. I'm guessing the brand new aftermarket sensors are just not linking because it was fine before I put on the new wheels with new sensors. They were programmed from the vendor, and again from Discount Tire, so I'm guessing it's the new sensors.
Thx so much for the help! It's 100 right now in Tucson, so I'm doing the struts in the morning, then back to DT.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:11 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Glad that it was a simple fix and thanks for the update. As I mentioned earlier, the electrics on these cars are next to bulletproof. While Nissan penny pinched in some areas, thankfully, they did the electrics right.

Any time the battery is disconnected on the 'Verts, the roof has to be cycled to allow the roof to initialize everything. Normal.

What are you using with the BAFX to read the codes? Apps like OBDFusion (with Infiniti add-on) will let you scan all of the modules in the car. Many generic programs only read basic, emissions-related codes. I ask this because, while you may have a issue with the TPMS, being that the Master Warning Light (MWL (the "!")) is illuminated indicates something else is going on. My guess is the excessive difference in tire diameter. The MWL does not turn on with the TPMS light. My TPMS light has been on for years with no MWL. A quality reader can check for any C-codes (ABS/ VDC/ VSS/ etc.).
BOOSTTT (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:25 AM
BOOSTTT
Registered Member

How do you get the Infiniti add on into the OBD fusion app?
Old 06-17-2023, 11:42 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

There should be a link to the "Enhanced Diagnostics add-on" on whichever app store you use. If you are using iOS, you might have issues with the BAFX. I have Android and it works ok. The BT can get "glitchy" at times but that is mainly because I am on a old version of Android.
BOOSTTT (06-17-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 09:14 PM
BOOSTTT
Registered Member

The BAFX with OBD fusion and the additional Nissan pack was only about $20 for the apps. I still had no stored codes, but it did specify the Right front tire pressure low. I aired it up 2 pounds to 37psi and I have no lights anymore. That’s all it was. I also installed new struts today with all new seats, boots and nuts. I can’t see a difference in ride height, which is a good thing, but I can now get in and out of my driveway without any scraping at all. It’s a happy day! That app is very good. Thank you so much for the recommendation. 👍
I think I’m going to add 6.75” components in the door and tweets in the sails with a small sub in the bottom of the trunk space next. Obviously adding an Amp, but keeping everything else the same. I’m such an audiophile. I can’t help myself. It’s gonna be sweet!

Thanks to all of you who posted. I’m grateful for your help and input.
Old 06-18-2023, 10:21 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Trust me, that $20 app package will pay for itself in due time. Interesting that the TPMS would set the MWL ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, glad it was a simple fix and now you can get out there and enjoy the car.
BOOSTTT (06-18-2023)