Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Fortune Auto still too low?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2021, 10:03 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Fortune Auto still too low?

2013 G37 sedan sport. I finally got my coilovers installed. I asked for a 2 finger gap. Guys were able to get a 2 finger up front but only a 1 finger in the rear. They told me, accommodating for preload, that they were basically at max height. I'm not gonna lie, based on shoving my head back there, it looks like it's about maxed out yet it's almost flush.

I didn't want it flush because like some here, I have a family. Yesterday I had two kids in the rear seats (60lbs behind me and on passenger side 130). In the trunk I had a bankers box of legal books (40lbs) and $150 in groceries including a lot of pasta sauce and canned goods. Overall, probably close to 100 pounds in the trunk.

Anywho, the car rubbed all over the damn place anytime I turned right or left with any decent speed (more than 20). Is this normal for 10k/8k springs?

Fortune coilovers have the stock springs, not swift or hyperco.

Also, my wheels are 10.5 in the rear with a 275 tire.

I am wondering if there's a solution to giving the car even more height in the rear.

While the trunk was full, I don't think it was "maxed" out or anything, yet that's how it drove.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:10 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Old 02-13-2021, 12:12 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

I'm also now feeling like an idiot for asking how to adjust height. I've got the wrenches. But I don't know if the car is supposed to be up the air when modifying height or not.

Right now the car is 27" from fender in the front and 25.75" in the rear. I was hoping for 26.5-26.75 all around. But it doesn't look like there's enough shaft left in the rear to get it up more than a marginal amount.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:18 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
Yes, you need to jack up the car and remove the wheels. The top ring needs to be backed off and then you can spin the coil and adjust the height.
Old 02-13-2021, 12:23 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
If they are like any other coilover I have messed with then preload and height adjustment are set two different ways. I have seen people try adjusting height with preload, but it doesn't work. When I reinstalled the coilovers on my 3000GT I set the preload before install. Once preload was set I adjusted the height to a base adjustment, then installed.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:42 AM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Yes, put the car on jackstands and take the wheels off.

There's only 1 ring - the green thing above the spring.

Its secured in place via an (single) allen head pinch bolt.

Loosen the pinch bolt a little bit til the ring easily spins.

Spin the ring clockwise so it moves towards the ground. This will give you a higher ride height when you're done.

Don't go too far. There may be a maximum setting. Check the manual.

Tighten the pinch bolt when you're done.

For every change at the rear spring bucket seat, the ride height is affected by 1.5x.

So if you raise the spring by 1mm, you'll raise ride height 1.5mm.

If you raise the spring 1", you'll raise the ride height 1.5"

and so on.

Same ratio for lowering ride height.

Anything you do to the rear spring bucket seat x 1.5 = ride height change.

All the above is the simplest way to change REAR ride height. Don't use this tactic on the front.

You will increase preload a little bit when doing this. But...big deal :shrug:

However....

You should learn how the preload is affected and how to tune it if you plan to make future adjustments. It would take a lot of typing on my part...and a lot of confusing reading for you. YouTube is your friend. Setting preload for a divorced spring is something that takes people a little time to wrap their minds around.

Last edited by Hugh Jorgens; 02-14-2021 at 03:51 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:58 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Wel, biggest issue is of course after reading hundreds of threads and literally talking to Fortune Auto, nobody told me the stock sedan coilovers came with the same setup as the 370z and nobody talked about droopy butt. And now I stumble upon a 2015 thread that talks about a guy getting a set of 8" springs from fortune and it solving all of his problems. So now I gotta call fortune and pay for more springs for the rear and deal with the hassle of taking it back to shop to install taller springs and a whole new alignment all over again. Easily another $500.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:09 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ryanwhite74115
Wel, biggest issue is of course after reading hundreds of threads and literally talking to Fortune Auto, nobody told me the stock sedan coilovers came with the same setup as the 370z and nobody talked about droopy butt. And now I stumble upon a 2015 thread that talks about a guy getting a set of 8" springs from fortune and it solving all of his problems. So now I gotta call fortune and pay for more springs for the rear and deal with the hassle of taking it back to shop to install taller springs and a whole new alignment all over again. Easily another $500.

Damn, I thought it was common knowledge that almost all coilovers came with a too-short rear spring if you only want a small drop.

Most people buy coilovers to slam down. So the short springs never occur to them as an issue.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:21 PM
2.2Lude
Registered Member

Received 184 Likes on 128 Posts
Sorry you had to learn the hard way man. In my research for coilovers I began to assume any coilover with the same part number for both the 370z and G37 will likely have “droopy bum syndrome”.

Most mainstream companies developed their coilovers for the 370z and just sell them for the G since they physically fit without a whole lot of extra, if any, R&D.

Rs-r Sports-I coilovers and Tanabe Comfort Rs are two that I’ve come across that do. Tanabe has separate part numbers and lowering specs for both the 370 and G37.

Rs-r goes even further and has different applications for the 370, G37 sedans, and g37 coupes.

While this doesn’t help now, hopefully it will for others that comb through threads for hours trying to make the best decision possible.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:26 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

^WOW the RSR spring rates are soft!

OP...

What ID (inner diameter) is the spring?

Springs are cheap. Even really nice ones like Eibach flat bottom race springs are like $65/ea in any ID, IIRC. Just buy the springs you need OR ask FA if they can do something for you.

You still have an excellent setup. FA is a solid choice

Last edited by Hugh Jorgens; 02-14-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 05:13 PM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Yes the ride, i swear on everything, rides a notch rougher than the stock suspension and that's it. Mechanic at Phantasm said it's the best riding coilover he's ever been on. He was thoroughly impressed.
Old 02-14-2021, 06:35 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

Yes the ride, i swear on everything, rides a notch rougher than the stock suspension and that's it. Mechanic at Phantasm said it's the best riding coilover he's ever been on. He was thoroughly impressed.

lol yeah, I believe you. I have a set of FA for another car...and given the spring rates I chose...its pretty damn good.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:47 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Well, update. I just bought a rear pair of swift springs. 8" at 10k spring rate. They said basically "Oh yeah if you have a sedan the 8 inch makes more sense and we'd definitely tell you to do 9 or 10k due to excess weight and passengers in the rear"....like, well then why in the HELL did that not get advertised anywhere on their website?

I told them they need to add an **** or something to note that for the sedan, a higher spring rate/higher spring should be the option. I told them at this point, they need to make a separate coilover for the sedan because their stock spring doesn't even come in a 8" option and slamming the rear at max ride height is neither disclosed nor actively advertised as the result. They've comped the shipping for the springs but I'm still out $187 extra dollars just in springs. I'll be lucky if this innocent mistake only costs me an extra $500 out the door with labor and alignment. FML
Old 02-16-2021, 08:29 PM
Hugh Jorgens
Registered Member

FML
They're just springs....and its just money, bruv.
The latter isn't really worth that much, and I suspect you'll make some more.

Once you have the car riding well, you'll be fine.

But...yeah, they should maybe recommend a Sedan spec spring.