Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Question: Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus Ride quality

Old 04-09-2019, 02:06 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question: Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus Ride quality

Need to get new tires for my ’15 Q40 AWD. Lots of research and its come down to the Pilot Sport A/S 3+ and the Pirelli Pzero All season Plus. I had the old Pilot Sport A/S 3 on my G35x and besides terrible tire wear, thought it was the perfect tire, I would honestly buy it again today if it was still in production.

As part of my research, I have learned that the new Michelins (Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ) had a bunch of improvements over the old ones and one of those- better steering- is now showing up in another way- harder impacts on expansion joints and potholes. My Boston commute, five hours minimum every week, is full of exactly that- numerous expansion joints and potholes in all the wrong (unexpected) places. Blame the previous Pilots for showing me there was a better way (most potholes were a very muted thud) but I’ve become very intolerant of rough/jarring rides which is why im considering going the Pirelli Pzero route.

So, those that have Pilot A/S 3+ (not to be confused with the previous version) what’s your assessment on ride quality and especially on potholes/expansion joints/rough roads?

And I looked around a while, but if theres a thread addressing this, please let me know
Old 04-09-2019, 02:54 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You'll find reviews of this tire in the review forum.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:10 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
I commute between Cambridge and Quincy, so I know what you're dealing with. When I wore out the OEM Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX A1-A A/S, I replaced them with Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06. I'm very happy with them; they're reasonably quiet, and they have excellent grip in dry, wet, and snowy conditions. Tread wear is great, as well. They're cheaper than the Michelin Sport A/S 3+, and, according to the TireRack reviews, edge them out in snow traction. The bad news is Costco doesn't carry Continental tires. However, I've read good things about the BF Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S, which they do carry.

Good luck!

Myles
Old 04-09-2019, 04:12 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
You'll find reviews of this tire in the review forum.
Apologies- I see one for the old version, Pilot Sport A/S 3 but not the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus?
Old 04-09-2019, 04:22 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cydrive
Apologies- I see one for the old version, Pilot Sport A/S 3 but not the Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus?
As of this writing, there are 347 reviews on TireRack for that tire.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Selym
I commute between Cambridge and Quincy, so I know what you're dealing with. When I wore out the OEM Dunlop SP SPORT MAXX A1-A A/S, I replaced them with Continental EXTREMECONTACT DWS 06. I'm very happy with them; they're reasonably quiet, and they have excellent grip in dry, wet, and snowy conditions. Tread wear is great, as well. They're cheaper than the Michelin Sport A/S 3+, and, according to the TireRack reviews, edge them out in snow traction. The bad news is Costco doesn't carry Continental tires. However, I've read good things about the BF Goodrich G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S, which they do carry.

Good luck!

Myles

Thanks for the suggestion Myles. I actually have dedicated Michelin xIce 3's (spend a lot of time in Maine) so winter traction isn't so much of a concern with these ones. Would get summers but Maine's weird for tires in the fall- day time temps too warm for winter tires, night time temps too cold for summers- so I end up here....forgot about I-93 south of Boston (Medford to Southie for me) - same sit.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:34 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Selym
As of this writing, there are 347 reviews on TireRack for that tire.
I've actually been looking through those but if you notice there's only a few on Infinitis. Or Nissans for that matter. A Passat we used to have years ago used to just soak up those same imperfections so I know some of those owners will have different opinions on the ride quality - set up makes a difference. That's why I was trying to eliminate some of those variables.

I've got a few more weeks before I have to get the winter tires off. I have BJ's and they actually carry all 3: Conti's, Pirellis and Michelins. Pirellis and Michelins are priced exactly the same right now much but Michelins offering $100 off ($70 for tires and an additional $30 for installation). Not a bad deal.

Old 04-09-2019, 10:16 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
I run them on my X during the not snow months. Roads in MN are junk and I am seeking stiffer ride right now. Had them on for the first snow of the season and they were loose on the powder covering glare ice. My dedicated snows were night and day better.

I drive my car hard and with the upgraded rear bar I can’t get them to break loose in hard cornering.

I say go with them, fantastic tire if you have dedicated snows.
Old 04-10-2019, 02:41 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Corprin
I run them on my X during the not snow months. Roads in MN are junk and I am seeking stiffer ride right now. Had them on for the first snow of the season and they were loose on the powder covering glare ice. My dedicated snows were night and day better.

I drive my car hard and with the upgraded rear bar I can’t get them to break loose in hard cornering.

I say go with them, fantastic tire if you have dedicated snows.
Appreciate the feedback Corprin. That says a lot right there- junk roads and you're looking for something firmer. I run winters like you do so im happy winter traction isnt a something else I need to be considering.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:02 PM
Conboss
Registered Member

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I just put Potenza RE97AS's on my X, and compared to the Michelin Primacy that was on the car when I bought it it's soo much better in terms of dry grip and response. I haven't had a wet day yet as I got them a week ago, but the light drizzle this morning didn't phase them! Potholes certainly feel harder, and it's brought out a clunk on the front (Sway bar bushings, did an inspection on my suspension when I put them on) Overall a good tire! ($180CAD/tire)
Old 04-12-2019, 11:07 AM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Conboss
I just put Potenza RE97AS's on my X, and compared to the Michelin Primacy that was on the car when I bought it it's soo much better in terms of dry grip and response. I haven't had a wet day yet as I got them a week ago, but the light drizzle this morning didn't phase them! Potholes certainly feel harder, and it's brought out a clunk on the front (Sway bar bushings, did an inspection on my suspension when I put them on) Overall a good tire! ($180CAD/tire)
Funny you mention Primacy’s. That’s part of the decision making I was going thru- was going to get the tires from BJ’s and under Michelins 30 day satisfaction program, I knew I could exchange the tires for another set of Michelins if I didn’t like the first. The MXM4’s were going to have to be the backup if I couldn’t live with the ride on the Pilot A/3 Plus but that’s got me a little… conflicted. I’m actually checking around to see what shops carry both Michelins and Pirellis and allow a cross brand exchange within 30days as that would solve my problem- found one so far.

Had considered the Potenza's (RE980AS) but the ride quality comes in fourth per tirerack after the DWS06, the A/S Plus and the Pzero.

Winter wheels off in the next two weeks, have to make a decision by then.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:14 AM
Conboss
Registered Member

I should add I went from 17's to 18's, but still would take the Potenzas over the Primacys any day, any size
Old 04-12-2019, 11:27 PM
cydrive
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Conboss
I should add I went from 17's to 18's, but still would take the Potenzas over the Primacys any day, any size
Gotcha. Appreciate the feedback on that.... Those Primacys, given that that tire is OEM on the Tesla Model S, i wouldve expected better performance but what do i know.
Old 04-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Conboss
Registered Member

Originally Posted by cydrive
Gotcha. Appreciate the feedback on that.... Those Primacys, given that that tire is OEM on the Tesla Model S, i wouldve expected better performance but what do i know.
they were probably chosen for their rolling resistance and what not, you know how Tesla is.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 PM
Selym
Registered Member

I ran the Primacy MXM4 on my '02 Subaru Legacy GT. While they were an improvement over the OEM Potenza RE92, they were nothing to write home about, to be honest.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question: Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus Ride quality