Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

abs and slip light on

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2019, 12:37 AM
symatt
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slartibartfast
All the codes return? The CAN bus error is worrisome. The CAN bus is the main electronic route for the car.
When i clear the codes and read for codes again right after nothing pops up. But once i drive and get that abs light and i scan it, the same codes come up. The car literally drives perfect and I don't feel like anything is wrong but just the light popping up.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:04 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
The communication errors make it sound like it may be a damaged unplugged sensor as masked builder mentioned already it may be a wheel speed sensor.... you should check the ABS Sensors at the front wheels, they may have been damaged when the new wheels were installed...(the rear wheel speed sensors are on the diff and less likely to have been damaged during a tire install)....buy a cheap aftermarket one or used OEm one for 20-30 dollars and try it out on one side and try switching it to the other side if it doesn't fix it immediately...

Also if you arent already, stick with your OEM wheels at least till the problem is sorted out, those new tire sizes are really wrong for these cars.

hope this helps and post up if the problem gets fixed too, good luck!
Old 01-28-2019, 11:52 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Better check the rears, too. One of mine is damaged and I don't know how. Probably when the diff was pulled to do the urethane bushings and finned cover. No code, though.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:53 PM
symatt
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
The communication errors make it sound like it may be a damaged unplugged sensor as masked builder mentioned already it may be a wheel speed sensor.... you should check the ABS Sensors at the front wheels, they may have been damaged when the new wheels were installed...(the rear wheel speed sensors are on the diff and less likely to have been damaged during a tire install)....buy a cheap aftermarket one or used OEm one for 20-30 dollars and try it out on one side and try switching it to the other side if it doesn't fix it immediately...

Also if you arent already, stick with your OEM wheels at least till the problem is sorted out, those new tire sizes are really wrong for these cars.

hope this helps and post up if the problem gets fixed too, good luck!
So i went to the dealer and they quote me $150 to diagnose it and I went to another shop they said $110. If i got it diagnosed wouldnt they just find they same codes that i already got? Is it like not possible to find out which sensor it is from the codes? Maybe I'll just replace all 4 sensors myself and see if it gets fixed from there. And Im kind of confused by what u said "less likely to have been damaged during a tire install" like arent they just unbolting the wheel and bolting it back on? I don't really see where they would touch the sensor lol.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:54 PM
symatt
Registered Member

Better check the rears, too. One of mine is damaged and I don't know how. Probably when the diff was pulled to do the urethane bushings and finned cover. No code, though.
If there was no code then how did you know yours got damaged? and can you tell by looking at the sensor physically or?
Old 01-28-2019, 10:21 PM
symatt
Registered Member

It's not just width or stagger, you have to figure the appropriate aspect ratio to keep overall diameter within 3% of the OE number.

Stock front is 225/50-18, rear is 245/45-18 giving overall diameters of 26.68 & 26.86 inches, respectively. Your diameters are 25.75 & 26.03 inches, respectively. Appropriate 19" tire specs are 245/40-19 and 285/35-19 to stay within 0.5% of OE diameter. 275/35-19 also works for the rear and is a more common size.

There are numerous tire calculators on the web.
So i only heard about this 3% thing just now but would it have to be 3% total front and back added up or can the front and back both be up to 3% off? and can the 3% be negative or just positive 3%? I never went with the 275/35 because i used to scrape my fender with that so I calculated it and it looks like ill just change to a 255/40 all around or just rear probably. and btw my car came with 225/50/18 squared

Last edited by symatt; 01-28-2019 at 11:55 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:51 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
It was found when installing the diff brace last week. The rubber L-shaped body was cracked through the angle. I posted a photo in the Bell Raceworks Review thread.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:59 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by symatt
So i went to the dealer and they quote me $150 to diagnose it and I went to another shop they said $110. If i got it diagnosed wouldnt they just find they same codes that i already got? Is it like not possible to find out which sensor it is from the codes? Maybe I'll just replace all 4 sensors myself and see if it gets fixed from there. And Im kind of confused by what u said "less likely to have been damaged during a tire install" like arent they just unbolting the wheel and bolting it back on? I don't really see where they would touch the sensor lol.
before buying all four, try buying one and changing positions if it doesn't fix it immediatly...

The front sensors are more likely to be damaged during an install because they are exposed in the wheel well and are screwed into the knuckle and oriented right onto the wheel hub which is where the wheel mounts...while not likely to be damaged in an ordinary wheel install, it does happen due to the proximity to the working area (i.e. the wheels are attached at the hub and the sensor is attached at the hub too). The rear sensors on the other hand are relatively far away from the wheels, i.e. they are mounted off the rear diff pointing at the inner axle stubs... also the fronts have to move with the knuckle and are more susceptible to damage during every day use as they can get caught on stuff and get pulled or snapped as they are more exposed in addition to being susceptible to debris damage (which the rears are susceptible too as well)...if you can get the car on a lift or get under the rear a visual inspection of the rear sensors might not be a bad idea either but I would suggest starting with the fronts...

either way, the most economical way to deal with it might be to spend 20-30 dollars (or less) and buy one sensor and change positions...its very very unlikely that you have a simultaneous failure of multiple sensors..if you do its probably not even the sensors that are the real problem and at that point you should get it professionally diagnosed or buy a scanner than can read ABS

for $150 you can go to Harbor Freight and buy a OBD 2 scanner that can read ABS codes or you can have the dealer diagnose it as you mentioned above...an independent shop might do it for a lot less...an abs scanner is not dealership propitiatory technology...
Old 02-19-2019, 03:58 PM
symatt
Registered Member

Update: I ordered one of those $12 wheel speed sensors on eBay and I replaced the front passenger side myself and guess what? No more lights
Old 02-21-2019, 12:43 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by symatt
Update: I ordered one of those $12 wheel speed sensors on eBay and I replaced the front passenger side myself and guess what? No more lights
Nice! thats a great outcome, glad it got fixed and for so little.