Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Power Steering Rack - Any adjustment for wear?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2018, 09:43 PM
Spadds76
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Power Steering Rack - Any adjustment for wear?

Hi There

I began to get a knock when going over bumps in the road. I checked out all front end components and narrowed it down to inner tie rod on the passenger side.

Got new parts and hire tool, angle grinder and impact driver and replaced said components no problem. Got a wheel alignment and car drives beautifully once again.

However, I am still getting a slight knock over bumps, same as before, but reduced so it sounds like the new parts helped some, but would appear not to be the complete solution.

When I had access to the steering rack inner ram, I could feel play in this when fully extended at right hand down for my access to the inner tie rod. It was like the bushes in the rack are worn and have allowed some play. No leaks.

My question is, are these bushes adjustable so I can wind them in to reduce/remove this play? I think I've heard this on other cars/racks to help prolonge the life of the rack, or am I totally nuts! I think my volvo XC90 has this function. I also think if I replaced the drivers side tie rods the new components would likely help to further reduce the rack play, but I don't want to do this right now until I know if the rack is adjustable.

Thanks in advance

Spadds
Old 06-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Spadds76
Registered Member

I found this for Nissan Maxima's - not sure if it's a similar infiniti part but I'll take a look for the mystic bolt at the weekend. that is once I've got the under tray off, or mainly the corroded undertray bolts..... so annoying.....

https://maxima.org/forums/6th-genera...on-60-mph.html
Old 06-11-2018, 10:14 PM
Spadds76
Registered Member

found this one too but it's on about shimmy and not play - is this the same thing?

https://www.infinitifx.org/12-1st-ge...on-spring.html