Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Softening Tein street basis coilovers.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 11:39 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I use the stock isolators, top and bottom, with mine. Part of the problem is the rear linkage and it's ark. It necessitates going crazy soft with spring rate to get an acceptable ride in the rear. At the expense of handling of course.
I want to try stock isolator in top. I already have stock one in bottom.
So, I am visualizing it: Stock bottom isolator -> Spring -> perch -> Stock top cone. How perch will sit on rubber cone? if you have it installed like that, Please get me a picture. i will try this option.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:25 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Went over to your Aragosta review thread Ape, and all your photobucket pics went bye-bye, any chance you could post them straight off your PC? Those pics really set that thread apart and would be a shame to have them offline.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:27 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Really? Wonder if Photobucket is down. I'll check later when I get home.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:35 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
They changed their service on 3rd party hosting, now they want your money, and quite a bit of it
Here's the details, and it's $400/yr, guess they are basically done!
http://photobucket.com/terms
Old 07-01-2017, 01:34 AM
bsanalyst

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
To add some visual explanation to some of the conversation here:

As shown in the first part of the video, lowering the coilovers via the spring perch and increasing the "preload" on the spring will not affect the spring rate. Any differences felt in handling would be a result of changed suspension geometry or lower center of gravity, regardless of whether it is adjusted at the spring perch or the strut body. In fact, coilovers that are height-adjusted via "base height adjustment" affect bump travel and can more likely lead to bottoming out (see latter part of the video above).

This is also a good article explaining spring preload and spring rate, using Hooke's Law.

This is probably one of the more widespread misbeliefs in the car community, and I think we should work to share true information here and elsewhere.

http://www.zoomsquared.com/technical...load-explained

Last edited by bsanalyst; 07-01-2017 at 01:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
main_shoby (07-05-2017)
Old 07-01-2017, 08:54 AM
future62

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts
I think we may be overcomplicating things

The main issue here is shock travel. When you lower the Flex Zs you retain shock travel at every height. When you lower the Basics you lose that shock travel. You are right that the spring's compressed length doesn't change.... up to a point, which is the point you run out of shock travel (i.e. you're sitting on bumpstops). I think as long as you stay within Tein's recommended height range you should be fine though. You can tuck stock tire and still be in their recommended range
Old 07-01-2017, 09:23 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

And preload has an effect on where you are in the damping curve, hence my mention of it. I'm well aware it doesn't affect spring rate (unless you have non-linear springs).

main_shobby, downloading all my photobucket albums now and uploading to a new service. I'll see if I have a photo that shows both. Basically the top hat for the rear spring on my Aragostas interfaces with the OEM rubber isolator. I've seen the Flex Z's in person and they're the same. Not sure about the Street Basis.

As for Photobucket, that company can go take a flying leap. I'm downloading then deleting all my images from their service. No notification whatsoever. I think Flickr has albums, will try them.
Old 07-01-2017, 09:59 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Ok a few pics...

Here's the kit installed. You can barely see the isolator up top unfortunately. Looking for a better photo. The spring itself sits within the bottom OEM isolator.

Second photo is the stock rear spring with the isolator. You just swap that over to the new setup otherwise you're running metal on metal.
Attached Thumbnails Softening Tein street basis coilovers.-6f438ee5-023a-497a-8088-b813d8f495a5_zpsuhqgkfa4.jpg   Softening Tein street basis coilovers.-cc310a91-304c-4d73-9563-827c2323da37_zpsmvpulvgi.jpg  
Old 07-01-2017, 10:33 AM
future62

So that rubber piece on the right goes into the sleeve?
Old 07-01-2017, 10:45 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Yep! Fits right in and doesn't move. My suspension is as quiet as OEM.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:59 PM
future62

Nice. This is probably the source of a lot of people's rear end noise issues.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:39 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

this video up there cleared my misconception Thanks
@Ape Factory, my OEM upper mount rubber piece is not like yours :/ it's a cone shaped rubber mount. that part in your right picture, is that an aftermarket part?
After reading and learning from you guys, I have corrected my concepts.
Now to solve my problem, the only way to change the spring rate is to get another spring.
I talked to tein and asked them if I can put their H-Tech (high tech) springs with my Tein basic spring perch? they said I can't :/. According to them, I will have to get a special order spring for that and it may take 3 months.
Am I getting somewhere now? lol
There is a great local deal for tein H-tech in my neighborhood, I really wanted to get it lol.
Tein said that the basis coil over's rear spring has 101mm ID, I only want to change rear if the front is too much of a hassle. I must find a spring that is right size and rate.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:34 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

I just realized that the bottom spacer is pictured on the stock coil not the top which IS a cone spacer like yours. Fits inside the new spring perfectly. My apologies for confusion.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 AM
main_shoby
Registered Member

Tried something today:
Replaced my tein shocks with OEM shocks, left Tein springs in.
The car feels softer now, not hitting bumps like before. hopefully, there is no safety issue in this. I am getting some sway when turning, on the straight road, it's very smooth.I will try to stiffen up my sway bar to hardest setting and see how it handles :/
Old 07-09-2017, 09:20 PM
future62

Stock shocks will blow in short order.

Something I was considering was replacing the Tein shocks with Koni Yellows. Koni shocks are phenomenal, and they make a kit that lets you mount the front spring on a sleeve. Costs a little more but the end result will be as good as the best $1500-1600 coilovers.