Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help camber kit necessity?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 11:33 AM
hockeyzbh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
camber kit necessity?

Hey guys. I have my 09 g37x coupe lowered on bc br coils with 10 or 15mm spacers. Do I need a camber kit? what's the benefit of it and is it necessary?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:57 AM
SupraOfDoom
Registered Member

Received 231 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyzbh
Hey guys. I have my 09 g37x coupe lowered on bc br coils with 10 or 15mm spacers. Do I need a camber kit? what's the benefit of it and is it necessary?
Depending on how far the drop was/is you'd need a camber kit to get it back in line with the stock camber settings. If you don't have the proper camber you'll either wear through your tires unevenly or just go through them quickly in general.
Old 04-23-2017, 12:12 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Yep, need to really know what specs you're aligned to, if your toe is out of spec you will really shorten your tread life and can result in unpredictable handling.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:26 PM
hockeyzbh

Originally Posted by blnewt
Yep, need to really know what specs you're aligned to, if your toe is out of spec you will really shorten your tread life and can result in unpredictable handling.

is their a specific brand u recommend?
Old 04-23-2017, 04:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

SPC is the most common, and for the price they are a good option. There are cheaper options but quality may be questionable, and the SPL & Voodoo are nice sets for more $$$.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 PM
bsettles

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Well I have Swift's and I am experiencing chopped fronts right now.

I have the camber kit in rear but not in front.

My alignment specs go like this

Front Right

-2.1 Camber
.04 Toe

Front Left
-2.1 Camber
.05 Toe

Rear Right

-1.2 Camber
.10 Toe

Rear Left
-1.0 Camber
.07 Toe

So one of two things, either my alignment guy sucked or I need some adjustable arms up front.

I think I am just going to get the kit here soon for the fronts. Especially before new rubber.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:27 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by bsettles

Front Right

-2.1 Camber
.04 Toe

Front Left
-2.1 Camber
.05 Toe

Rear Right

-1.2 Camber
.10 Toe

Rear Left
-1.0 Camber
.07 Toe

So one of two things, either my alignment guy sucked or I need some adjustable arms up front.

I think I am just going to get the kit here soon for the fronts. Especially before new rubber.
Well it's a common opinion around here that toe is what kills tires, but excess camber can be a slow death. IMO camber at -1.5 or less and toe in spec is gold as far as tread wear, at least that's been my experience.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:08 PM
hockeyzbh

Front Right

-2.1 Camber
.04 Toe

Front Left
-2.1 Camber
.05 Toe

Rear Right

-1.2 Camber
.10 Toe

Rear Left
-1.0 Camber
.07 Toe

what do you mean by chopped fronts?
Old 04-27-2017, 12:18 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Inner shoulder wear would be my guess
Old 05-01-2017, 11:42 AM
bsettles

}

Uneven wear on the front inner tires, resulting in an odd vibration that could almost be called bumpy.

Creates a noise that you would almost think a wheel bearing has gone.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

}

Uneven wear on the front inner tires, resulting in an odd vibration that could almost be called bumpy.

Creates a noise that you would almost think a wheel bearing has gone.
That camber in front > -2.0 is a bit higher than most that have dropped on Swifts from what I've seen, there's been a few that have settled around there though. I wouldn't say your alignment guy is bad, the toe is set proper and there's really not much else that can be done, you could get the toe right to the edge of spec and that would get your camber lower, but might not be worth the tradeoff TBH.

Front arms is probably your best bet, especially if you're planning on running high grip tires and plan to keep the G for the longer term,
The following users liked this post:
bsettles (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 05:56 PM
hockeyzbh

That camber in front > -2.0 is a bit higher than most that have dropped on Swifts from what I've seen, there's been a few that have settled around there though. I wouldn't say your alignment guy is bad, the toe is set proper and there's really not much else that can be done, you could get the toe right to the edge of spec and that would get your camber lower, but might not be worth the tradeoff TBH.

Front arms is probably your best bet, especially if you're planning on running high grip tires and plan to keep the G for the longer term,

so im buying spl rear camber kit. You think I should buy front as well? Im thinking of getting swifts too. hoping all that should fix my issues
Old 05-02-2017, 09:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

so im buying spl rear camber kit. You think I should buy front as well? Im thinking of getting swifts too. hoping all that should fix my issues
It's really a crap shoot TBH, some can get by without them and are able to get it aligned closer to spec, but then like bsettles specs, there are those that are out far enough where getting the full camber set is a good plan.

Maybe you'll be one of the luckier ones, or not
The following users liked this post:
hockeyzbh (05-05-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 11:29 PM
bsettles

Yea I will be picking up a front camber kit soon. Thinking about getting a set of wheels as well. So I will probably just do it all at once.

Problem with me is I love cars, but I am never the "lucky one" with them. If it can happen it will happen to me. Every car I have ever owned has had issues, especially when I start throwing mods at them.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:17 PM
hockeyzbh

It's really a crap shoot TBH, some can get by without them and are able to get it aligned closer to spec, but then like bsettles specs, there are those that are out far enough where getting the full camber set is a good plan.

Maybe you'll be one of the luckier ones, or not
I mean im not cambered far right now. It just pokes out a little but since I have 15mm spacers on the rear and am lowered. Im eventually going to add 15mm spacers to the front as well but for now the front looks completely in line. Plus the tires on the front already have camber wear from previous owner so im not worried about them wearing unevenly so the fronts shouldn't be necessary right? What is the camber kit going to do. Just make it so the tire isn't cambered?