Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Help Spring V.S Coilover Conundrum (Sagging)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 05:33 PM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Spring V.S Coilover Conundrum (Sagging)

Hey guys, long time lurker. Bought the car back in December, been enjoying it stock, now ready to do some (conservative) mods.

I know the coilover versus springs debate and I know the difference between them. I've searched the forum and have gathered a lot of info before asking this question. My past two cars have run coilovers (slammed) and now I'm a little older and find myself not necessarily wanting to put up with the aggressiveness of coils.

My question is, do springs (on these cars in particular) still have the same sagging issues they used to?? I remember in my ricer Honda days in high school, springs gave your car that "Cali lean" look after they settled in.

My search around the forum has uncovered a few isolated incidents of sagging, just wanted to know if it's a definite issue. I just want to lower it enough to close the wheel gap a little, never going to track it. Not looking to tuck tire and win any "most insane fitment" awards.

The adjustability of coils is always great but since I'm going more conservative with this car, I was just looking to save a few dollars.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:07 PM
MaQG37
Registered Member

Received 208 Likes on 166 Posts
Tein Basis coilovers are $450ish.
Old 04-03-2017, 06:25 PM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MaQG37
Tein Basis coilovers are $450ish.
Yeah, and those would be the ones I go with if I went coilovers. After shipping, though, it's still about a ~$200-$300 price difference between those and springs. Was just seeing if I could get away with not having to spend the extra money for a setup that I will never use to its full potential.
Old 04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Tein Basis Z FTW in your case, and you could probably keep it mild enough that camber kits may not be needed. So may come out about the same as a spring drop that might drop more than that where camber kits could be needed.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:31 AM
T.A.D
Registered Member

Alright, guess I'll do this the right way the first time and go coils. So much for using the extra cash saved for the new Char-Griller I had my eyes on lol. Thanks for the responses guys.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
voha123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blnewt
Tein Basis Z FTW in your case, and you could probably keep it mild enough that camber kits may not be needed. So may come out about the same as a spring drop that might drop more than that where camber kits could be needed.

Do all coilovers require camber? If you just want a simple 2" drop?
Old 04-11-2017, 09:41 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by voha123
Do all coilovers require camber? If you just want a simple 2" drop?
If you can keep the drop mild, in the 1.25" range, the camber should be reasonable and the toe in back should still be able to adjust to spec.

Going deeper than that, the camber starts to get excessive and more critical is the toe spec in back, this has just a minimal adjustment w/ the oem toe bolt. Having toe out of spec will result in very poor tire wear and can result in poor handling. Getting a rear camber/toe kit will get you back to spec. The front oem upper control arms have no camber adjustment, only the toe is fully adjustable through the tie rods. If you go to a 2" drop you may need front arms too. The rear kit is about $200 and is pretty much a needed item. The front set is $350 and might not be needed.
The following users liked this post:
Coltrane1 (04-18-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 12:44 AM
voha123

If you can keep the drop mild, in the 1.25" range, the camber should be reasonable and the toe in back should still be able to adjust to spec.

Going deeper than that, the camber starts to get excessive and more critical is the toe spec in back, this has just a minimal adjustment w/ the oem toe bolt. Having toe out of spec will result in very poor tire wear and can result in poor handling. Getting a rear camber/toe kit will get you back to spec. The front oem upper control arms have no camber adjustment, only the toe is fully adjustable through the tie rods. If you go to a 2" drop you may need front arms too. The rear kit is about $200 and is pretty much a needed item. The front set is $350 and might not be needed.
interesting.. so 1.25" would require no additional modifications? Are there any springs that drop at 1.25"?
Old 04-12-2017, 08:42 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

I think Tein H Tech are about that range (the Tein S Techs are a deep drop spring, so don't confuse them). Tanabe are also a mild drop spring and are best w/ RWDs, they tend to drop lower in the back w/ the AWD Gs, for some reason they only make 1 part # for the entire G line. Swifts & Eibachs are in the 1.5" range and your results may vary. Alignment can vary quite a bit from car to car, and depending on your alignment tech, as some can work a bit more magic than others

Some that have mild drops have had good alignments without camber/toe kits while others needed the kit(s) to make it right.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:02 PM
voha123

I think Tein H Tech are about that range (the Tein S Techs are a deep drop spring, so don't confuse them). Tanabe are also a mild drop spring and are best w/ RWDs, they tend to drop lower in the back w/ the AWD Gs, for some reason they only make 1 part # for the entire G line. Swifts & Eibachs are in the 1.5" range and your results may vary. Alignment can vary quite a bit from car to car, and depending on your alignment tech, as some can work a bit more magic than others

Some that have mild drops have had good alignments without camber/toe kits while others needed the kit(s) to make it right.
So what would be a safe bet for a mild drop, no camber kits required? My car is 2012 g37xs coupe, I was thinking the Eibach springs?
Old 04-12-2017, 11:00 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by voha123
So what would be a safe bet for a mild drop, no camber kits required? My car is 2012 g37xs coupe, I was thinking the Eibach springs?
Eibach lists at 1.9" F 1.6" R Spring rates not listed
Start Here - Application Look-up | eibach.com/america

Swift lists at 1.3" F 1.0" R 7.5/7.8kg spring rates
Swift Springs USA

So the Swift would be your best bet for a drop that you may not need a camber/toe kit (but that doesn't mean that it's a sure thing).

Here's a great review thread on the Swifts for the AWD coupe
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...awd-coupe.html
Old 04-18-2017, 07:43 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

blnewt, I'm having C/O's installed in 2 days - What's a proper spec for a 1.75 - 2" drop?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Coltrane1
blnewt, I'm having C/O's installed in 2 days - What's a proper spec for a 1.75 - 2" drop?
Do you mean what should you expect your camber specs to be without kits at that drop range? Camber will probably be in the -2.5 range w/ toe adjusted to spec in front. And in back about -2.5 or more with toe a bit out of spec, or squeezing toe in spec w/ camber about -3. Hopefully you have at least a rear camber/toe kit in your shopping cart
Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 PM
Coltrane1
Premier Member

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Do you mean what should you expect your camber specs to be without kits at that drop range? Camber will probably be in the -2.5 range w/ toe adjusted to spec in front. And in back about -2.5 or more with toe a bit out of spec, or squeezing toe in spec w/ camber about -3. Hopefully you have at least a rear camber/toe kit in your shopping cart
Much obliged! Yes SPC's with toe bolts.