Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Suspension upgrades for 2013 G37X sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:28 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by goldhawg
If I went with IPL springs, does it matter a version/year to work with the AWD? Are the springs sufficient to add to my strut, or do I need IPL struts too?
The IPL is RWD, your car is AWD. IMO the springs are designed for different weights/distribution.

The front suspension on the RWD cars isn't compatible with the front suspension on the AWD cars.

RWD springs off a coupe or Z are a half-a** solution for a improving the handling on an AWD sedan.

Here's a better solution: https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ngs-4n907.html
Old 03-30-2017, 07:44 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
The IPL dampers (struts) won't work on an AWD as the bottom yolk on the AWD is different. So only the springs will work.

But as I stated earlier, you're going to see an improvement with wider, larger diameter wheels and better tires. The Bridgestone RE050A's found on the COUPE sports suspension are high performance tires with a very, very stiff sidewall. I know someone commented earlier about there being no difference between the base and S suspension on the sedan (other than wheel size) but we're comparing it to his wife's G37S coupe.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:47 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
The IPL is RWD, your car is AWD. IMO the springs are designed for different weights/distribution.

The front suspension on the RWD cars isn't compatible with the front suspension on the AWD cars.

RWD springs off a coupe or Z are a half-a** solution for a improving the handling on an AWD sedan.

Here's a better solution: https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ngs-4n907.html

Except he didn't want to lower the vehicle. The weight balance isn't all that different and unless you know what the the OEM spring rates are for the X Sedan, there's no way of knowing if the IPL springs create an imbalance (highly unlikely). Higher spring rates WILl increase damper wear long term but assuming the free length is the same, the wear rate would be far less than Swift lowering springs.

EDIT: I just looked up the Swift spring rates and the X Coupe car must understeer like a barge given what they specify for that car, even worse than the 2wd cars based on the spring rates. On the X sedan, the ratio f/r makes more sense but the rate's still fairly soft. Just for reference, the IPL rates are 9.8K front and 8.05K rear.
http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...t-springs.html

Get a more aggressive tire/wheel package then upgrade to a matched sway bar set (assuming they make one for the X). If it's still not there for you, find some IPL springs.

Last edited by Ape Factory; 03-30-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:42 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Ape Factory
Except he didn't want to lower the vehicle. The weight balance isn't all that different and unless you know what the the OEM spring rates are for the X Sedan, there's no way of knowing if the IPL springs create an imbalance (highly unlikely). Higher spring rates WILl increase damper wear long term but assuming the free length is the same, the wear rate would be far less than Swift lowering springs.

EDIT: I just looked up the Swift spring rates and the X Coupe car must understeer like a barge given what they specify for that car, even worse than the 2wd cars based on the spring rates. On the X sedan, the ratio f/r makes more sense but the rate's still fairly soft. Just for reference, the IPL rates are 9.8K front and 8.05K rear.
Swift Springs USA

Get a more aggressive tire/wheel package then upgrade to a matched sway bar set (assuming they make one for the X). If it's still not there for you, find some IPL springs.
You can't have your cake and eat it too. He wants stiffer suspension but doesn't want to go coils or lower. Those objectives conflict.

Even if he is comparing a xS coupe, the only difference is still the wheels/tires, which is the easy thing to upgrade.
Old 03-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
I know someone commented earlier about there being no difference between the base and S suspension on the sedan (other than wheel size) but we're comparing it to his wife's G37S coupe.
Just curious, but I reread this thread and I don't see anywhere that the OP mentions that his wifes care is an S model or a coupe. I only saw where he mentions that he has an x sedan and his wife has an XS (presumably a sedan).

If its a comparison between the sedan and the coupe even at the same trim there will obviously be further differences but I was curious because I didn't see anything in this thread.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:38 PM
goldhawg
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hashim
Just curious, but I reread this thread and I don't see anywhere that the OP mentions that his wifes care is an S model or a coupe. I only saw where he mentions that he has an x sedan and his wife has an XS (presumably a sedan).

If its a comparison between the sedan and the coupe even at the same trim there will obviously be further differences but I was curious because I didn't see anything in this thread.
Her car is a 2011 G37xS sedan (red) and mine is a 2013 G37X sedan (black). Ironically, when I bought mine last year, the dealer had an xS that I could have bought at the same price, but it was red too! I couldn't have two identical cars. But here in Ohio, I love the AWD, and because of the snow in winter, I'd rather not be much if any lower. If the sway bars are as good as they say (have a line on a set in the classified for new Hotchkis AWD bars), maybe that's enough. But if not, I was wondering the next steps. As for those that think I'm not able to tell the difference in ride, they're wrong. Come to the Dayton area and I'll show you! I've had others drive and the difference is noticeable, especially above 80 mph (ahem...not that I ever go above 80!).:-)
Old 03-30-2017, 12:55 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Now that we're clear that both cars are AWD sedans, I'll reiterate that there's no difference in the suspension between the two. The only difference is the wheel and tire package.

Isn't there a dealer selling the "duckfeet" wheels for dirt cheap?
Old 03-30-2017, 01:10 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

What size/type tire on each car?
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
goldhawg
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Selym
Now that we're clear that both cars are AWD sedans, I'll reiterate that there's no difference in the suspension between the two. The only difference is the wheel and tire package.

Isn't there a dealer selling the "duckfeet" wheels for dirt cheap?
I'm not buying there is no difference. The rear sway bar size alone is significantly different. Supposedly the steering is different too. I have no idea about the springs/struts--you may be right.

But I don't doubt wheels could help. I'll buy some dirt cheap duckfeet wheels!
Old 03-30-2017, 02:57 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

The rear sway bar size alone is significantly different.
Again just curious but are you sure about this. i.e. have you seen the rear sway bar on an XS? I think those mentioning the bigger swaybar were referring to it being from the S model, which is indeed correct.

Edit: jsut looked it up. the part number for the 2011 XS Sedan rear sway bar is the same as the part number for the rear sway bar on the 2013 x sedan (56230-JK000).

Last edited by Baadnewsburr; 03-30-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2017, 03:14 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Anyways, as a far as a more productive suggestion goes. The 18" wheels (could consider ones off a 350z/370z in addtion to the G37xs/g37S (sedan or coupe) for a factory look), and some stickier rubber with stiffer sidewalls to get you to something closer to your wife's car.

the Hotchkis sways as a set or the OEM rear sway bar off a g37S or a 370Z would definitely help as well and are fully compatible (only the front is differently shaped)

If you don't want to go too low, the Swift springs for the AWD sedan (part NO. #4N907) are decent too but with the AWD the ground clearance is already only about 3 inches and a bit because of the transfer case hanging down so you should decide if they are fro you. I have them fitted and just plough through the snow with them. The bigger issue i have is not scraping my Y pipe at the crest of a steep incline or my bumper on a decline
Old 03-30-2017, 03:20 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Supposedly the steering is different too.
Absolutely incorrect.

Only the RWD S gets the fast ratio steering.
Old 03-30-2017, 04:32 PM
Selym
Registered Member

I'm not buying there is no difference.
Well, look up the part numbers yourself, then.

https://discountinfinitiparts.com

The rear stabilizer bar (a.k.a. "sway" bar) for both X and XS sedans: Part #: 56230JK000
Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Absolutely incorrect.

Only the RWD S gets the fast ratio steering.
I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the steering rack are the same for the AWD S and regaular AWD as well and differ from the S as well...I remember seeing one or two threads where someone lookked into seeing if they could swap them a long time ago and there was a comparison of part numbers too
Old 03-30-2017, 05:51 PM
Selym
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hashim
I'm pretty sure the part numbers for the steering rack are the same for the AWD S and regaular AWD as well and differ from the S as well...I remember seeing one or two threads where someone lookked into seeing if they could swap them a long time ago and there was a comparison of part numbers too
Apparently the steering racks differ between the AWD Sedan w/sport and AWD Sedan w/out sport:

Gear assy SEDAN, 4WD, w/o Sport tuned Part #: 49001JK65A
Gear assy SEDAN, 4WD, w/Sport tuned Part #: 49001JK65B