Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ First Look Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ First Look Review

First let me say thank you to Michelin for giving us the opportunity to test their new Pilot Sport A/S 3+. Our day included open highways, canyon driving, city streets and finally on the track at Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch about 60 miles outside Las Vegas, Nevada. Three cars made up our testing, a pair of 2015 Lexus IS350 F-Sports, 2015 Audi S4s and 2015 BMW M4s which I drove throughout the day. The focus here was to showcase the increases in wet and dry traction as well as steering response over the original A/S 3 and other competitors in the ultra-high performance all season class. A smaller group also tested the tires enhanced winter traction in Steamboat Springs, Colorado with BMW 335's.

Name:  line%20up_zpsbcxwmlym.jpg
Views: 4305
Size:  53.7 KB

Tire Details
Lexus - 225/45-17 UTQG 500 AA A V-speed rated 10.5/32nds tread depth

Audi - 245/40-18 UTQG 500 AA A Y-speed rated 10.0/32nds tread depth

BMW - 255/35-19 (Front) UTQG 500 AA A Y-speed rated 10.0/32nds 275/35-19 (Rear) UTQG 500 AA A Y-speed rated 10.0/32nds

Highway/City/Canyon Roads

Name:  canyon%20final_zps7piy66ps.jpg
Views: 4252
Size:  92.9 KB

We left Las Vegas early morning hitting moderate traffic but eventually met more open roads outside the city leading toward Hoover Dam. The A/S 3+ responded great in/out of traffic and they really felt at home on the twisty roads leading up to our first driver change near the dam. At regular highway speeds the A/S 3+ was very quiet and rode great, even in the M4 with 19's. After swapping cars, we made our way through the foothills of Red Rock Canyon. The tire drove excellent and begged for more driving through the canyon. We ran into some high winds and rain which didn’t affect the tire's performance or ability to hug the curvy roads. We spent a good four or so hours of public road time over the three different cars before heading to the track.

Name:  bmw%20final_zpsz1wf41zb.jpg
Views: 4532
Size:  71.9 KB

Our next stop was Spring Mountain Motorsports Ranch in Pahrump, Nevada to see how the tire performs when pushed to the max. This is a world class facility with over six miles of track, an 8,000 square foot clubhouse, pool, and even condos. They are also the official high performance driving school of Corvette and offer a two day Radical SR3 racing school. Three exercises were set up for us, a dry/wet auto-x course, dry braking demo, and lead follow on their track. Michelin put the new A/S 3+ up against Continental's Extreme Contact DWS06 and Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus during testing.

Name:  spring%20mountain_zpsozgfyipo.jpg
Views: 4220
Size:  97.3 KB

Auto-x

Name:  cones_zpsmjwbxfqc.jpg
Views: 4232
Size:  64.9 KB

The Lexus IS350's were test cars of choice here. The course featured a combination of offsets, several 90-degree and one 180-degree corner, and a slalom. A combination of dry and wet surfaces, with the middle third of the course being wet, allowed us to test the transition from one condition to the other. It was quite obvious the A/S 3+ was the stronger performer here in steering response and hands down in wet traction. The transition from dry to wet was at the exit of a quick 90-degree corner, here the A/S 3+ displayed the smallest difference in traction as it crossed the transition. Overall, for an all season tire being tested in an auto-x environment I was very impressed.

Dry Braking

Name:  stopping_zpsx4gcdwcz.jpg
Views: 4258
Size:  50.5 KB

In this exercise we used the Audi S4's to demonstrate 60 - 0 mph stopping distances with the anti-lock brakes fully engaged going into the braking zone. We used an onboard data logger to measure and record the distances each brand of tire required to stop. A similar test is performed at our headquarters in South Bend and we typically find there's minimal differences between the tires. The same type of results were found in this exercise. After 40 panic stops made on each tire the AS 3+ showed a small shorter distance advantage over the other two in dry braking.

Lead Follow

Name:  hot%20lap_zpsszqiy86e.jpg
Views: 4250
Size:  121.1 KB

They weren’t quite ready to cut us loose alone on the track with a $70K+ M4, but we did get a lead follow session in. Keeping in the back of my mind I'm track driving an all season tire, I was still quite pleased with how well the tire performed. Larger outer shoulder blocks helped plant the car confidently through the corners and response back to center after a turn was snappy. Great dry stopping allowed me to brake a bit later and provide more power out of and through corners. Like other all seasons, it's not a tire I'd try to win a SCCA championship on. However, for the purpose of demonstrating how the A/S 3+ feels outside its comfort zone I was impressed.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
canyon%20final_zps7piy66ps.jpg (92.9 KB, 149 views)
bmw%20final_zpsz1wf41zb.jpg (71.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 AM
Neal@tirerack

Snow Testing
The other crew started their snow testing with an acceleration exercise starting from a dead stop to just over 20 mph. Same data loggers were used, traction control was disabled, and the same Conti DWS06 and Pirelli P-Zero All Season Plus tires were tossed in the mix. The data logger measured the time it took to accelerate from 5-20 mph over six runs with a final run on the first tire. The Michelin and Continental performed very similar with some members having a faster 5-20 mph on the A/S 3+ . Their next test was braking from 20 mph to a full ABS stop. The data loggers measured 20-5 mph stopping distance with, the Michelin averaging a few feet shorter than the Continental. The Pirelli couldn't keep up with the pack in these tests. What's important here is how much better the new A/S 3+ is in the snow compared to its predecessor, the A/S 3, because of the compound change. Those who have long term tested the tire here during our Midwest winter have also expressed how impressed they are with the snow/ice traction.

Conclusion
Michelin reinvented their position in the Ultra High Performance class with the new A/S 3+ . The enhanced wet traction, steering response, and much improved ice/snow traction has made them more well-rounded than the original A/S 3. It's an enjoyable tire for spirited driving on curvy roads, yet on long hauls it delivers a great ride with minimal noise. You can drive this tire more confidently in snow and ice, and those who see more rain than snow in their area will be impressed with the hydroplaning resistance. Michelin knew the original A/S 3 fell just short of the bulls eye they'd hoped for. However, working up from that base and changing a few things (most importantly the tread compound) has made the A/S 3+ a top contender in its class. Keep an eye on Tire Rack.com for our full test report this late spring/early summer!
Old 04-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Neal, what can we expect regarding pricing relative to the A/S 3. And thanks for the comprehensive review.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:04 PM
Neal@tirerack

Most of the original AS 3's are discounted since being discontinued, so those are technically cheaper right now compared to the A/S 3+. If I look at the pricing history of the originals and the new over the last year or so, the Plus comes in just a hair higher. Premium tires, premium price
Old 04-13-2016, 11:26 AM
ryanwhite74115
Registered Member

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Hilarious how I just bought 4 A/S 3's mere months ago. If I had only know I think I would have held out.
Old 04-13-2016, 10:47 PM
KEG97
Registered Member

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
Would love to get a comparison of these tires versus the BF Goodrich G Force Comp A/S
Old 04-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Neal@tirerack

^^ That will probably be in our test mix here this spring/summer.
The following users liked this post:
KEG97 (04-14-2016)
Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I just had my set of Mich. Pilot A/S 3+ installed today. My G37xS was only driven home aproximatetly 20 miles from the shop but I will say they felt great on the road and were a very comfortable riding tire, I was expecting a harder ride but was pleasantly surprised. I'm anxious to run them through more trying test in the weeks ahead. By the way, I purchased them from Tire Rack as I do all tires I've purchased.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:28 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
@Gimpy, your previous tires were what? How many miles?
Old 04-15-2016, 05:03 PM
gimpy

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsolo
@Gimpy, your previous tires were what? How many miles?
I had the Dunlap tires that come on the sedan XS. Didn't realize how much better the whole attitude of the car would be with really good tires, now I know. I only had about 13700 miles on the Dunlaps.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
I had to ask because we all have different frames of reference. Without knowing what you're coming from (model tire and size), it's hard to draw any usable conclusions.

I recently had the pilot supersport installed in stock sizes. Coming from the re050a's that were ~50% worn, it's hard to tell if there any difference in ride quality between the two. They're maybe a bit quieter because more tread. The car still rides as stiff as before and I feel everything in the road Steering response may be a tiny bit diminished but really too early to tell right now. Haven't railed on them yet either. I want to get some more miles and heat cycles in before really cornering aggressively.

The SP Sport Maxx A1 A/S is considered an ultra high perf all season tire, so the ps a/s 3+ is a good counter part. If my annual mileage increases substantially, I may have to go to a higher mileage all season perf tire rather than a pure summer only tire. For now, this is the first change in 4 years @ 18.5K actual miles on the summer tires (I have dedicated winter tires/wheels too).
Old 04-19-2016, 11:17 AM
MrJag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neal, when do you expect to start carrying the AS3+ on TireRack?
Old 04-19-2016, 07:56 PM
Neal@tirerack

We currently have them online and stocked in many different sizes.
Old 04-21-2016, 09:37 AM
mjnoles1
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by KEG97
Would love to get a comparison of these tires versus the BF Goodrich G Force Comp A/S
This is what I want to see. I will hold out for this comparison.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:30 AM
KAHBOOM
Super Moderator of Pwnage

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts
Aww man I bought AS3s in December. I run them as an alternative to my Pilot PSS in the winter (not as a winter tire) because in the winter there are stretches where its near and well below 45 degrees for an extended time.

Oh well the AS3s are still awesome tires. i have them sitting in my tirerack bags on my tire rack that I bought from tirerack in my garage.

Ok so I do like tirerack.. You guys have great service

Regarding the AS3s I can attest that with daily street driving they feel responsive and grippy like a summer tire and have great traction when its cold outside. But in snow/ice, I drive our Pathfinder...