Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Steering Wheel Vibration 70+ MPH

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
Keroro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Wheel Vibration 70+ MPH

hey guys, i know this is a common problem but I wouldnt be asking if I didnt try everything.

my car is a G37 sedan with the OEM Enkei 18s, I was driving when I got a flat 20PSI and drove the car home 3 miles no faster than 35 mph. The tire completely deflated over night in the garage while I waited til a business day to get the tire replaced.

I went and had used tires installed for the time being.

They installed 225 on the fronts and 245 in the rears due to availability.

The steering wheel vibrates at speeds of 70+mph and im pretty sure for a luxury car that should not be the case. The car does not veer to the left or right and I feel no vibration from anywhere else in the car.

The shop I went to (86 5 star reviews on yelp) replaced the rear tires with some slightly newer ones and rebalanced each wheel again and found no error but the vibration persists. They then said they believe the stagger set up to be causing the error (although I cant see how it could).

They are offering to replace the rears with some 225s once they have some available.

Anyone know what it could be? I figured it coulda been the tires or the wheel balance but I returned 3 times and they insist the tires are good (and they have switched them out twice now and the wheels are balanced) I also do not think its a suspension or alignment issue as the car was perfect before the tire switch.

>__<
Old 05-05-2014, 08:08 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
The tires might be "good" in that they have tread left, but chances are, the wear pattern isn't jiving with your current setup.
Old 05-08-2014, 04:55 AM
Keroro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE:

So, I went to a shop with a road force balancer and they informed me that the front wheels were pretty out of balance and that my lug nuts were pretty stripped (probably from all the air gunning the discount tire shop did)

but now the car rides smooth again. I can only hope the rear is ok, but since I dont feel any vibrations I will remain faithful.

Lesson Learned: Dont go cheap and really check out any place you do business with. Enthusiast targeted shops preferably from now on.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:31 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Glad to hear it was a relatively easy fix, sometimes it takes awhile to find a "go-to" place (especially Alignments it seems) but worth the effort to find them.