Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport A/S3?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 07:48 PM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport A/S3?

Time to replace the Dunlop SP Sport Max.
Looking for input from someone who has driven on both of these tires. Which is quieter and smoother riding?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:48 AM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just bought a set on volk g12. I will follow up with a review later.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:07 AM
hobbs
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by AZNnite
Just bought a set on volk g12. I will follow up with a review later.
Set of which one?
Old 10-12-2013, 12:33 PM
AZNnite

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Michelin as3. First impression, the rubber seems softer/stickier than the super sports.
Old 10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by AZNnite
Michelin as3. First impression, the rubber seems softer/stickier than the super sports.
No way, no how.
Old 10-12-2013, 05:39 PM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
No way, no how.
I just put on Michelin super sports last week on my rear and still have the potenzas re050a on the front. The Michelin seem a little harder as of now, but I've put them through the paces and they handle awesome.

The a/s 3 is a great tire but if you live in a climate where you can get away with summer tires then I think the PSS is the best tire overall.

If you need an all season then the choice is obvious and get the A/S 3
Old 10-12-2013, 07:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by John B
I just put on Michelin super sports last week on my rear and still have the potenzas re050a on the front. The Michelin seem a little harder as of now, but I've put them through the paces and they handle awesome.

The a/s 3 is a great tire but if you live in a climate where you can get away with summer tires then I think the PSS is the best tire overall.

If you need an all season then the choice is obvious and get the A/S 3
You can't really tell much of anything with 2 completely different tires with different amounts of wear on front and rear axles. I know because I've done it. When you put 4 fresh identical tires on the car at once your evaluation will (or should) change. PSS has a very soft compound on the outer shoulder and a more durable compound across the rest of the tread, still not hard though. That's how they achieve such excellent cornering grip while still delivering decent tread wear. They have a relatively stiff sidewall that helps with performance but detracts form comfort.

OP, I haven't experienced the AS3, but you're comparing apples to oranges with an all season tire vs a max performance summer tire. I have the PSS on one G (coupe). I have the Michelin Primacy MXM4 on the other G (sedan). The PSS outshine the all season tires in every conceivable way performance wise. Not even close IMO. However in terms of quiet and smooth ride, I'd have to say the MXM4 is a little better. Not a lot. And it's hard to compare as the 20" PSS on my coupe are low profile wider tires (35/30) and the tires on the sedan are much taller cushier sidewalls (45/50) so it's impossible to compare them directly becasue the short stiff sidewalls will almost always feel less comfortable than taller, softer sidewalls.

And as mentioned the PSS are definitely not for sue in very cold or snowy/icy conditions so keep that in mind if it applies to where you live.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:50 PM
JayDeePee
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I currently have the Michelin Super Sports on my 19" coupe wheels. I originally had the stock Potenzas RE050A on all four wheels. The Michelin's are a better tire hands down. I've had them for about 6000 miles. They are great performance tires. I live in Southern California and we don't have much rain. I've driven on wet roads and they still held up fairly well. These tires are best on dry pavement. The Potenzas started getting louder as they began wearing out. I'd buy the Michellin Super Sports again. I thought about going with the Hankook Evo tires, but I decided not to be cheap. Super Sports FTW.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:28 AM
John B

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
[QUOTE=Black Betty;3688689]You can't really tell much of anything with 2 completely different tires with different amounts of wear on front and rear axles. I know because I've done it. When you put 4 fresh identical tires on the car at once your evaluation will (or should) change. PSS has a very soft compound on the outer shoulder and a more durable compound across the rest of the tread, still not hard though. That's how they achieve such excellent cornering grip while still delivering decent tread wear. They have a relatively stiff sidewall that helps with performance but detracts form comfort.

OP, I haven't experienced the AS3, but you're comparing apples to oranges with an all season tire vs a max performance summer tire. I have the PSS on one G (coupe). I have the Michelin Primacy MXM4 on the other G (sedan). The PSS outshine the all season tires in every conceivable way performance wise. Not even close IMO. However in terms of quiet and smooth ride, I'd have to say the MXM4 is a little better. Not a lot. And it's hard to compare as the 20" PSS on my coupe are low profile wider tires (35/30) and the tires on the sedan are much taller cushier sidewalls (45/50) so it's impossible to compare them directly becasue the short stiff sidewalls will almost always feel less comfortable than taller, softer sidewalls.

And as mentioned the PSS are definitely not for sue in very cold or snowy/icy conditions so keep that in mind if it applies to where you live.

Well I guess I just don't know what I'm talking about then. The potenzas RE 050A are direct competitor to the PSS and I can tell how the rear of the car handles with the two tires.Looking at the two tires profiles, the potenzas are a flatter profile tire. There is no tread blocks on the sidewalks like on the PSS. I also can tell the back rotates a little more with the PSS then with the RE 050A. The Bridgestones are noisy over rough services and are a softer compound tire. That's why they don't offer a mileage warranty unlike the Michelins.

Next thing is read the reviews of tires. The PSS is not the best handling tire, it just does everything better than the Bridgestones subjectively because objectively The Hankooks spank all of them in dry handling.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:08 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JayDeePee
I currently have the Michelin Super Sports on my 19" coupe wheels. I originally had the stock Potenzas RE050A on all four wheels. The Michelin's are a better tire hands down. I've had them for about 6000 miles. They are great performance tires. I live in Southern California and we don't have much rain. FTW.
For the record summer tire generally perform better in the rain than all season tires.
Old 10-15-2013, 01:42 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by John B
The Hankooks spank all of them in dry handling.
Which Hankooks are you talking about?
Old 10-17-2013, 02:25 PM
Neal@tirerack
MYG37.COM Platinum Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Both excellent tires, just totally different types. The SS is hands down the best max perf summer tire right now. Excellent dry/wet traction, good life, isn't loud, etc. They really did a good job on it. You'll be limited to one season warm weather use though. The AS-3 I actually own and really like them. They do great on my 60 mile round trip and have plenty of pep to carry me through corners if I want to push it. If you want a practical sport tire for everyday use those are the ticket.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM
chuckie311
Drop A Gear and Disappear

Received 194 Likes on 160 Posts
these are what i am runnning in 20s and think they SUCK .. will never buy hankook again

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
Old 10-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Originally Posted by chuckie311
these are what i am runnning in 20s and think they SUCK .. will never buy hankook again

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
I had them too. I wouldn't say they sucked but I wouldn't disagree with your assessment. They are not impressive. They're popular because they're relatively inexpensive, readily available, and a lot of folks haven't tried anything better to know the difference. I don't know if John B was talking about them or something better like the R-S3 or another Hankook tire I've never heard of.
Old 10-20-2013, 12:11 PM
RCL

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
AS3 hands down for a ride comfort and performance. If you value performance as the 1st priority, get the PSS.

Quick Reply: Pilot Super Sport vs Pilot Sport A/S3?