Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Need some help with suspension setup on a Sedan g37x! Springs/Coils?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 AM
mogledzinski

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile Need some help with suspension setup on a Sedan g37x! Springs/Coils?

Hey guys, so I am pretty new to car modding and I have been doing lots of research recently about lowering my car. I hate that gap between the fender and rims/tires and would like to get rid of it! However, I'd like to do it properly and the best way possible right from the start! First thing is, I can't decide springs vs. coilovers? I have heard that springs are okay if you don't want to go very low, but they can cause the ride to become very stiff/rough and can cause premature wear on the stock suspension components. Replacing my other suspension parts (struts/dampers) plus lowering springs would end up costing around the price of a nice set of coilovers, and I have heard coilovers are nicer because they are sturdier, better built, and better quality. Also, a big benefit of coilovers is height (as well as sometimes dampening) adjustment, and given the fact that winters are pretty harsh out here in Chicago, having the ability to raise the suspension before the snow comes can be nice. So what would be the better route for me? Coils or springs?

Then, since my friends have been convincing me towards coilovers for now at least, I have looked into what is out there, but seem to be having trouble finding what fits my model. I have a 2009 g37x Sedan, and the awd seems to cause a problem with coilover fitment. Which coilovers are available for my model, other than kw v3 and bc? Kw v3 look like a very expensive choice, and I have heard mixed reviews about bc and the ride quality/comfort on them. There are many coils out there but which ones fit the x

Any help/advice/input would be appreciated! I have done lots of researching and reading and asking around about this lately! And I have used the search box, for those of you who want to tell me to search for the answer, but I can't seem to find the answer to my questions, so please don't waste my time or yours and refrain from telling me to go search first.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 AM
LexiG37

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you decide to go with Swift springs your ground clearance will be 3"...That's what mine was just under the engine cover. Coilovers FTW if you can fork out the cash.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:36 PM
platinumg35x

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
there are no kw v3 for the x. you're only options are bc and d2
Old 10-14-2012, 10:59 PM
mogledzinski

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by platinumg35x
there are no kw v3 for the x. you're only options are bc and d2

I thought I read somewhere that the kw v3 DO fit on the x? So there are no other options at all other than Bc and D2? Which one is a better choice?
Old 10-22-2012, 09:03 PM
scotty_g

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apparently KW is coming out w/ coils for the x this spring. Wait and see... I am running swift springs which helps w/ the gap. Not to low but better looking on the x then stock I can't compare coils as I am waiting for KW.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:15 PM
CRV_33
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty_g
Apparently KW is coming out w/ coils for the x this spring. Wait and see... I am running swift springs which helps w/ the gap. Not to low but better looking on the x then stock I can't compare coils as I am waiting for KW.
Do you know this for sure? I emailed KW last month and the rep told me that they had no intentions of releasing the AWD chassis due to lack of market demand. But I'm hoping that the rep I spoke to is completely wrong.

For the time being I am set on getting a set of Eibach Pro Kit's. But if scotty_g is right I would gladly pay the difference and get a set of KW coilovers instead.

Last edited by CRV_33; 10-22-2012 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:28 AM
Midlifecrysis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had the Swift springs installed on my 2009 g37xs today. It's my daily driver so I didn't want to go to low. The car looks way better, handling is slightly improved and the car remains comfortable to drive. Thanks to all who post the great info. My choice was made by researching this site and I got exactly what I wanted.