Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Rear shocks the same on both sides?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:20 PM
superjer2000

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rear shocks the same on both sides?

I took off my bc coilovers and went back to my stock oem springs and shocks. The Infiniti front shock/coil assemblies were clearly marked left and right and I installed appropriately.

Both rear shocks were marked as "R" and had the exact same part number and markings. Is that correct? If there was no "R" on the shocks it would seem to be too odd but now I am wondering if I am rolling on two right shocks. The rear springs are obviously interchangeable right?
Old 05-12-2012, 09:13 AM
soundmike

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Looking at my OEM's and pics i had of the BC's before installing them, the rears do look the same.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Yes they are the same.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Track Bandit

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Shocks the same

Really the shocks in the front have the same internals but it's the perch mount and the other brackets that are welded to the body for the brake lines and ABS sensor lines that are unique to each side. Since the rears have no such mounts, they don't need to be marked differently. Aftermarket shocks have the same consideration for most automotive brands but not all. For example on the Acura NSX the front Koni's can be used on either side. The bracket for the brake line is a bolt on piece and the perch slides down to a welded collar on the shock. Those parts are reused from the stock shocks. Same with the Bilstein shocks for this car but not so on the KW V3 coil overs. On ours, most Volvo's and Audi's they are marked for each side and like ours have to be clocked for the correct spring perch alignment to the shock mounting points. Probably more than you wanted to know.

Al