Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

Stillen J Hook Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Sausage Canada

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stillen J Hook Rotors

Okay, this is my first post and although I have been doing a lot of lurking and searching I decided to contribute and add my two cents.

I ordered a pair of J Hook rotors from Stillen for my 37S and they look great. Can't wait to install and try them out. They have a nice aggressive look and the cuts and finish are amazing. I selected these because of all the horror stories I have read about cross-drilled rotors cracking. I was going to get the EBC rotors but they only come in gold for imports. Even though the burn area would scorch the plating I am still left with the centers that colour and I didn't feel like painting them.

However, on a negative note, when I ordered these I worked out a deal with Dean from Stillen to add Hawk ceramic pads after going back and forth for a while on the phone. When I received my order though, the Steel Matrix pads came with the order which wasn't what I bargained for. After making a call to the company Dean wouldn't let me talk, cut me off harshly and said that is what we agreed upon. Jeff his manager said that he stood behind Dean but said he would exchange the product (but at my shipping expense back to the company). I said no because that is not the deal I made and besides, why would I be on the phone back and forth with the company for so long when Stillen typically has the Steel Matrix pads thrown in as part of their special. Doesn't make sense to me.

That is too bad because I have the Gen 3 cold air intake tubes, HFC's and their catback exhaust all of which I really like.

I will not be dealing with Stillen in the future though because of this experience. I have read lots of negative things from other members regarding them and guess I experienced it first hand.

GTM for forced induction - here I come!
Old 01-14-2012, 01:00 PM
Weiboy718

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sausage Canada
Okay, this is my first post and although I have been doing a lot of lurking and searching I decided to contribute and add my two cents.

I ordered a pair of J Hook rotors from Stillen for my 37S and they look great. Can't wait to install and try them out. They have a nice aggressive look and the cuts and finish are amazing. I selected these because of all the horror stories I have read about cross-drilled rotors cracking. I was going to get the EBC rotors but they only come in gold for imports. Even though the burn area would scorch the plating I am still left with the centers that colour and I didn't feel like painting them.

However, on a negative note, when I ordered these I worked out a deal with Dean from Stillen to add Hawk ceramic pads after going back and forth for a while on the phone. When I received my order though, the Steel Matrix pads came with the order which wasn't what I bargained for. After making a call to the company Dean wouldn't let me talk, cut me off harshly and said that is what we agreed upon. Jeff his manager said that he stood behind Dean but said he would exchange the product (but at my shipping expense back to the company). I said no because that is not the deal I made and besides, why would I be on the phone back and forth with the company for so long when Stillen typically has the Steel Matrix pads thrown in as part of their special. Doesn't make sense to me.

That is too bad because I have the Gen 3 cold air intake tubes, HFC's and their catback exhaust all of which I really like.

I will not be dealing with Stillen in the future though because of this experience. I have read lots of negative things from other members regarding them and guess I experienced it first hand.

GTM for forced induction - here I come!
Sorry to hear your experience!

For future references, contact Josh@Stillen instead.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Sausage Canada

Thanx for the advise Weiboy
Old 01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
akuma_83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but just as Weiboy mentioned above, just deal with Josh, awesome service with him via PMs and made shipping to Guam a sinch !

On another note... I have the J Hooks on my G and I love them ! Not sure how they hold up on track use, but I can attest to spirited driving on the streets and they are a great improvement over stock ! AGRESSIVE Braking IMO but gets the job done and it makes your ride look good ! As far as the Matrix pads that come with the rotors... umm honestly they are not the greatest so I would get the Hawk pads prior to installing and make it a one shot deal... im in the process of trying to order some Hawk HPS pads or maybe ceramic to complement the J Hooks... GL with the install !

Stillen J Hooks +1
Old 01-16-2012, 12:26 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Josh is a bit of a slimebag too though
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
Sausage Canada

I pm'd Josh yesterday but didn't hear back from him as of yet. I did get a hold of John and he gave me a return authorization but after getting shipping quotes there and back plus the difference of the pads it is in the range of $130. Simply not worth it.

Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted by akuma_83
Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but just as Weiboy mentioned above, just deal with Josh, awesome service with him via PMs and made shipping to Guam a sinch !

On another note... I have the J Hooks on my G and I love them ! Not sure how they hold up on track use, but I can attest to spirited driving on the streets and they are a great improvement over stock ! AGRESSIVE Braking IMO but gets the job done and it makes your ride look good ! As far as the Matrix pads that come with the rotors... umm honestly they are not the greatest so I would get the Hawk pads prior to installing and make it a one shot deal... im in the process of trying to order some Hawk HPS pads or maybe ceramic to complement the J Hooks... GL with the install !

Stillen J Hooks +1
Old 01-20-2012, 09:43 PM
Sausage Canada

Originally Posted by shumby
Josh is a bit of a slimebag too though
I am sensing that in general Stillen sucks for customer service.

On a positive note, I did order Hotckis sway bars (NOT from Stillen) and they arrived today. Can't wait to install them in the spring.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:14 AM
xtremeroller

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
That sucks to hear. Customer service has become a joke from most companies in my opinion.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:24 AM
SwissCheeseHead

Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts
Can't say this enough...Get it in writing!! Either via email, pm, hell...I would even do snailmail. Did you get a receipt of your purchase? For a company such as Stillen to NOT give you a receipt is a little shady. Email confirmation? Anything???

FWIW, you as a customer should expect these things at a minimum. Unless dealing with a private seller, any "company" should be sending you at least a confirmation of goods bought without second thought.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:05 PM
Sausage Canada

Originally Posted by SwissCheeseHead
Can't say this enough...Get it in writing!! Either via email, pm, hell...I would even do snailmail. Did you get a receipt of your purchase? For a company such as Stillen to NOT give you a receipt is a little shady. Email confirmation? Anything???

FWIW, you as a customer should expect these things at a minimum. Unless dealing with a private seller, any "company" should be sending you at least a confirmation of goods bought without second thought.
Hey Swiss Cheese Head,

I did receive a receipt but that went to my spam box so I did not catch the error until it was too late and the order was already delivered.

I do know for 100% though I made the deal for the Hawk Ceramics thrown in with the JHooks. Even when I called the first thing I asked Dean was if they record messages when ordering. Dean said yes but when I told him to go back in the archives and look up my number to listen to the recording he put me on hold only to come back and blast me afterwards. When I asked to speak with Jeff and asked him to go back and review the conversation, he said Stillen doesn't do that.

Unfortunately it was a bit of an expensive lesson so you live and learn.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:10 PM
jamesshifflett

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Any Pics?
Old 01-24-2012, 12:29 AM
Sausage Canada

Originally Posted by jamesshifflett
Any Pics?
Pics with new wheels and tires, rotors, painted calipers and strut bars will be this spring.

Stay tuned