Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires
Rollers and Rubbers (View All Posts)

What about these wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:32 AM
dsindm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about these wheels?

I have a new 09 G37X. I much preferred the S wheels but they weren't an option on the X, at least that I knew of when buying. I have since read that you could put those rims on an X but that it would be best for all four rims to be the same size, whereas the front and back sets vary in size as installed on an S.

There is an alternate set of OEM wheels available for the X but it's a much less appealing 9-spoke design. For $1650 I don't like them that much more than the ones that came on the X.

So, I've been looking for an alternative. Since I'm basically cheap, I don't want to have to buy new tires right now and would prefer to stick with the wheel size used by the designers of the X to begin with.

Problem is, I can't find anything I really like as much as the S wheel out there. That is, until I came across these, and they look almost like copies:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...t+Silver+Paint

Here are my questions/problems:

1. These are ridiculously inexpensive--about $600 for a set of four, which means the quality must be substantially lower than the OEM alloy wheels. In fact the websites don't even describe the composition of these wheels so they must be the lowest quaility.

2. This is a real "dummy" question, but would buying these wheels mean I wouldn't have the tire pressure monitoring capability of the OEM wheels?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dsindm; 03-29-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 03:40 AM
dsindm

While I'm at it, any general advice on the TYPE of wheels I should stick with--e.g., alloy like the OEM? I've also read that weight, strength and composition are important to performance. The pnly performance I'm concerned about is for normal driving, but should I be concerned about a noticeable difference in performance/handling with a wheel like the one linked above?
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 AM
jnguyen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsindm
Here are my questions/problems:

1. These are ridiculously inexpensive--about $600 for a set of four, which means the quality must be substantially lower than the OEM alloy wheels. In fact the websites don't even describe the composition of these wheels so they must be the lowest quaility.

2. This is a real "dummy" question, but would buying these wheels mean I wouldn't have the tire pressure monitoring capability of the OEM wheels?

Thanks in advance.
the wheels do look like our wheel clone!

1. i cant really help there except say you pay for what you get

2. You can buy new TPms but they cost alot Or you can take the Tpms out of your stock and buy a bracket or strap to beable to use it on the new wheels you buy. Usually you can order them if you know what your doing or let a wheel shop do it for u and u just buy it.

i dont think these will fit though
Old 03-29-2009, 05:58 AM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1. I really wouldn't trust wheels that go for 600 for a set of 4. The price is great and you'd save a lot of money but would you really want to take that risk on your 40k car? What about if the X is your daily? I would rather save up and get something better to avoid the regret headache that might result from buying cheap wheels.

2. What jnguyen said, new TPMS ($$$) or buy bracket to fit with the wheels, if they make them for those wheels.

I didn't look at the composition of those wheels but I'd get some forged ones. You don't want to hit a pothole and bend the wheel.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:17 PM
w0ady

save up and just buy a set of used 19s. better quality for sure.
Old 03-29-2009, 04:00 PM
dsindm

What are the best places to look for used 19's?
Old 03-29-2009, 05:59 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Classified section/for sale section on the forum. Or create a thread to see if anyone is selling their stocks.