Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are offsets?

can someone please explain to me? what are offsets +32 etccc

thankyou
Old 03-25-2008, 07:30 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Here's a link that may help explain it in a way you might understand.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=101

Here too: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoWheelOffsets.dos

Last edited by Black Betty; 03-25-2008 at 07:46 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:45 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have no clue either man. that is why i love when people pm me their wheel sizes and offsets for our BBK clearance. i just delete those messages
Old 03-25-2008, 08:51 PM
GiGGaplease

Originally Posted by solopresident
i have no clue either man. that is why i love when people pm me their wheel sizes and offsets for our BBK clearance. i just delete those messages
how crude! someone should really sticky something about offsets and tires sizes, etc..it would really help the people that are looking for wheels. +32...+22 means its going to stick out more, +42 means its going to sunken in more.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:52 AM
OPen Class

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I too would like to see factual information posted in a sticky regarding the off-sets for this car. I would think a Moderator would try and provide some value.

My understanding is that width of the wheel need to be considered in the equation.

For instance: If you just took the stock sport 19" on the G right now and reduced the off-set ie. from 42mm to 32mm it would actually pull the center of the line 10mm closer to the fixed point of referance (the hub) therefore bringing the wheel toward the edge of the wheel well.

This actually seems oposite of what you woud expect because youhave to remember the hub is fixed and the centerline of the wheel is what you are adjusting.

Now, what I would like to see is the following.

Wheel sizes in 19 and 20 inch (in diff widths) that fit cleanly on the car without rubbing....with or without a drop on the car. Pictures to correspond would be great.

Not all of us want a slammed car with huge camber and rolled fenders, etc., etc.

There is my .02 on this and it is not the forst time I have asked for some better info regarding this topic.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by OPen Class
I too would like to see factual information posted in a sticky regarding the off-sets for this car. I would think a Moderator would try and provide some value.

My understanding is that width of the wheel need to be considered in the equation.

For instance: If you just took the stock sport 19" on the G right now and reduced the off-set ie. from 42mm to 32mm it would actually pull the center of the line 10mm closer to the fixed point of referance (the hub) therefore bringing the wheel toward the edge of the wheel well.

This actually seems oposite of what you woud expect because youhave to remember the hub is fixed and the centerline of the wheel is what you are adjusting.

Now, what I would like to see is the following.

Wheel sizes in 19 and 20 inch (in diff widths) that fit cleanly on the car without rubbing....with or without a drop on the car. Pictures to correspond would be great.

Not all of us want a slammed car with huge camber and rolled fenders, etc., etc.

There is my .02 on this and it is not the forst time I have asked for some better info regarding this topic.
Good point. Simply posting an offset number won't truly tell you whether a wheel fits properly because how the wheel is made will have an effect on fitment as well. 2 different wheels might both have a +45 offset but depending on the design one may fit and one may not clear the brakes. It's not really so simple. Once there is a greater amount of wheels designed to fit our cars, it will be esier for users to post a particular wheel and the offset and how it fits the G. Hopefully with pictures.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
MsGofstr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Yeah, I need to know what wheels fit my car wihtout lowering it etc. Just throw some wheels on it and drive it. I am past dropping my cars now.

Oh, pick up the 2008 Ultimate Wheel & Tire Guide for like $6.99.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:36 PM
symalik
Registered Member

A lot of stuff will fit with out dropping the car, but it just does not look good because of the wheel gap that it creates.

Saying that, you should be able to fit most 19's and 20's on your car ofcourse I can't tell you all the offsets and widths because thats up to you and the wheel you pick. Once you decide on an exact size and width, people might be able to help you more with picking the right offsets.

Just for example, I have 20x9.5 +35 and 20x10.5 +37 on my car with the sports model (bigger brakes) and they fit fine. Maybe would go with a 20x9.5 +37 and 20x10.5 +39 if you are not going to drop the car so they tuck in a bit better with no drop.

Last edited by symalik; 03-26-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:57 PM
solopresident
Premier Member

i don't think its a mod's job to do this. i think if you guys want it done you should filter through the threads and compile the information. Its not what myg37 can do for you its what you can do for MyG37!

A lot of people come here to just complain and want thigns done for them and quicker than its being done, everyone needs to help with what they are capable of IMHO.