G37 Journey Coupe - Replacing Brake Pads, Issues with the V shaped pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2019, 02:06 PM
Need4Camaro
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 Journey Coupe - Replacing Brake Pads, Issues with the V shaped pins

There are V shaped pins that fit onto a slot on the back side of each pad and cross onto the other pad, which adds alot of tension to the pad - basically it seems like its to prevent the pads from rubbing the rotors too much.

In short, I've never dealt with these before and I couldn't figure out how to get the new ones on. If I got them on, I couldn't get the pad back into brace / calipre.

None of the cars I own have these pins except my G37, how dangerous is it if I leave them off? Its a PITA to get them on and I need to make this car driveable asap.

Any recommendation on installing these?

Thanks.
Old 09-24-2019, 02:22 AM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Installing the drag reduction clips can be challenging the first time. The trick is to first install the pads in their retainers and then slightly open the pads towards the outside/inside and insert one end of the clip to the pad and do the same to the other side. Opening the pads relieves a little tension on the clip for easier insertion into the pad. While holding the pads with the inserted clip, do the same for the lower clip. (I always start with the upper clip.) After you successfully inserted both upper and lower clips, carefully close the pads toward their final resting position facing the rotor. While holding the pads with the inserted clips with one hand, quickly install the caliper over the pads with your other hand.

It just takes a little practice. Good luck!

UCLAg37
The following 2 users liked this post by UCLAG37:
Need4Camaro (10-13-2019), SkysG37 (09-24-2019)
Old 10-13-2019, 09:21 AM
Need4Camaro
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UCLAG37
Installing the drag reduction clips can be challenging the first time. The trick is to first install the pads in their retainers and then slightly open the pads towards the outside/inside and insert one end of the clip to the pad and do the same to the other side. Opening the pads relieves a little tension on the clip for easier insertion into the pad. While holding the pads with the inserted clip, do the same for the lower clip. (I always start with the upper clip.) After you successfully inserted both upper and lower clips, carefully close the pads toward their final resting position facing the rotor. While holding the pads with the inserted clips with one hand, quickly install the caliper over the pads with your other hand.

It just takes a little practice. Good luck!

UCLAg37
Thanks for the information. I havent had time to put this into practice yet but I want to make sure I understand correctly, with the caliper facing you and the pins sitting inside the caliper:

[outside] /// [inside] ----------- [inside] \\\ [outside]
----------[pad tilt]------------------------------[pad tilt]----------

This is the angle the pads need to be inserted to install the pins?

Also I have another question:

I've had to drive the car since, this isnt my DD but I had to get it on the road for awhile. The steering of it is very uneasy unless the surface is very smooth. It tries wander in the lane alot. When holding the wheel straight, sometimes (not always but sometimes) you can even visually see the steering wheel wiggle left and right. Is this because the the anti-drag pins are not inserted or does this sound more like suspension / tire issues? Tires are fairly new and unused.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:35 PM
UCLAG37
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Need4Camaro,

If I correctly interpreted your diagram, that is correct. It will make more sense and it will be more intuitive when you do the brake job.

As for the steering wandering issue, there could be numerous reasons for that. First thing to check is tire pressure and inspect for unusual tire wear. Check for strut leakage and visually inspect the suspension for unusual wear, loose parts, and firmly shake the tire to check for too much play. Since our cars come with staggered wheels it may not be an issue but I've seen steering wander when tires are rotated from one side to the other rather than rotating front to back. If everything looks ok, you can always get an alignment.

UCLAg37