rwd rear sway bar on awd sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 11:05 AM
drizzy315
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
rwd rear sway bar on awd sedan

can someone tell me what kit/ parts needed to install the sway bar on my x sedan ? I have the sway bar itself and bushings my mechanic ask if i have the brackets I am not sure if i can use my existing x sedan ones or do I need the brackets from the rwd that held the thicker sway?

any input appreciated thanks guys
Old 03-13-2019, 02:45 PM
Corprin

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts
Bracket/bushing clamps should be the same. The bushings are larger to accommodate the thicker bar.

What color is the paint stripe on the rwd bar, and what was the donor car?
Old 03-13-2019, 03:01 PM
drizzy315
Registered Member

hey corprin its a black bar came off a 09 coupe g37
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
There should be a little square patch of paint in the center of the bar. My 2011 sedan S bar has a patch of lilac/light purple. Look in the suspension forum for more info.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 03-13-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:17 PM
Corprin

Originally Posted by drizzy315
hey corprin its a black bar came off a 09 coupe g37

caps are the same, bushings are different. There should be a stripe of paint on the center bend that clears your rear diff.

This one is blue from a 370z Nismo

Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 AM
drizzy315
Registered Member

This is front one

Believe this is rear one
Old 03-14-2019, 01:34 AM
Corprin

Believe this is rear one

Front is a nice paperweight, won’t work in an awd, plus your awd front bar is thicker. Rear is a blue stripe, and should be about 25.5mm diameter. Same as the 370z Nismo, Nismo S-tune, and a few Infiniti products. It’s the largest OEM bar for the V36 chassis.

you'll need some new bushings tools and time for the swap. Once you swap it, you’ll need time to get used to the car. Your understeer will be virtually eleminated.

Last edited by Corprin; 03-14-2019 at 01:41 AM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:08 AM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Corprin

Front is a nice paperweight, won’t work in an awd, plus your awd front bar is thicker. Rear is a blue stripe, and should be about 25.5mm diameter. Same as the 370z Nismo, Nismo S-tune, and a few Infiniti products. It’s the largest OEM bar for the V36 chassis.

you'll need some new bushings tools and time for the swap. Once you swap it, you’ll need time to get used to the car. Your understeer will be virtually eleminated.
I did this rear bar swap (from an S coupe), fixed understeer impressively. Now if I could do something about body roll.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:13 PM
drizzy315
Registered Member

Originally Posted by BeeW
I did this rear bar swap (from an S coupe), fixed understeer impressively. Now if I could do something about body roll.
I thought this would help with body roll as well, no? or would I need strut bars for that?
Old 03-14-2019, 12:43 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Larger bars will reduce roll to some degree but not nearly as much as stiffer springs since they are the primary means to control roll.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:00 PM
Corprin

Bars resist by attempting to maintain equilibrem between the connected wheels of the car. As you compress one side, the bar tries to compress the other. Likewise as you off load one side the bar tries to offload the other, thus keeping the car flat. Bigger the bar the more it will resist cornering forces.

Springs affect roll by their ability to resist compression of the suspension only, less of an extent with independent suspension systems.

Too much bar will show weakness in springs. Too much spring will show weakness in bar.
Too much fat pig of a car will require unbearable suspension to eleminate roll.

in the case of a blue stripe rear bar on an x sedan... the larger rear bar will resist roll by pushing harder the outside rear tire as you transition into the corner. As the rear bar resists this shift it will “push back” and move force to the opposite corner, inside front. More downward force on front inside will decrease the understeer. This effect is pronounced when you are throttling mid turn, as the acceleration transitions force to that rear outside more, more resistance is applied by the rear bar, thus more applied force to the inside front. If you are aggressive with your weight shifting at turn-in this rear bar allows very controlled oversteer to come into play.... too much ham fisting will remind you what a fat nose heavy awd will do when asked too much.

Focus us on getting smooth before you start playing with springs and dampeners.

Last edited by Corprin; 03-14-2019 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:53 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Um, that's like nothing I ever read before, but has truth in it's essence.

The springs provide the primary means of suspension compliance. They tend to be soft to provide a decent ride. Sway bars provide extra spring rate when turning. The thicker the sway bar, the more it resists roll. Also, thicker bars increase the rate of weight transfer when yawing. The downside is that sway bars connect each side of the suspension which removes some of the independence of independent suspensions. This is noted as head whip when only one side of the car hits a bump.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:51 AM
Corprin

We are essentially saying the same thing, though the fundamental of the bar adding spring rate is only half the story. The bar acts in both directions simultaneously in order to maintain a neutral position.

either way it’s described, the op done good, and is in for a pleasant surprise with that bar.

Last edited by Corprin; 03-15-2019 at 02:08 AM.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:42 PM
BeeW
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts
I thought this would help with body roll as well, no? or would I need strut bars for that?
I wasn't specific enough about this. Rear end roll is very down, or feels like it. But the nose is so heavt in the car, it always dips heavily towards the outside of the corner.
Maybe a beefier (Hotchkiss?) Sway or stiffer springs in the front would be a solution... But Slartibartfast or Corprin could speak better than I
Old 03-15-2019, 02:52 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Roll is fundamentally controlled by spring rate. You have to be able to tolerate a stiffer ride if you really wish to reduce roll. Or, put your car on a SERIOUS diet.

In the end though, as long as you have good tires, a good alignment and press the throttle while turning (weight transfer to the rear), total roll won't make much of a difference in turning performance.

Quick Reply: rwd rear sway bar on awd sedan