Brakes & Suspension Reviews on brakes & suspension for G vehicles.

Review StopTech 309 Sport Pad / Z1 2 piece Rotors Front + Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:03 AM
projectpanda13
Registered Member

Received 261 Likes on 214 Posts
StopTech 309 Sport Pad / Z1 2 piece Rotors Front + Rear

I thought about adding to 4DRZ's post on his Z1 rotor review, but since I'm also adding in the Stoptech pads and the rear rotors also, I figured a new thread is ok.

StopTech 309 Sport (Advertised characteristics)
  • Formerly known as Street Performance Pad
  • High MOT to Eliminate Fade
  • Exellent Actuation, Modulation and Release
  • Positive Molded for Uniform Friction Material
  • Scorched to Raise Initial Cold Effectiveness
  • Para-Aramid Composites for Linear Response
  • Dyno Proven Performance and Service Life
  • Lab-Developed Formulas with Strong Initial Bite
  • Ideal for Autocross and Light Track Day Use
After bedding the pads and getting a few days of driving in, I really like the initial bite and gradual/linear response on advertised. Its been really cold in Atlanta this week and I have no problems stopping during the beginning of my drive. The pads are very quite during all stages of the drive, starting, warmed up, and also in the wet. I've only driven on this setup four a few days so I can't make a true review on the dusting, but so far its been clean. If weather permits, I'll give the car and wheels a good wash and watch from then on.

The reason I went with the 309 (Sport) over the 308 (Street) was because of the idea that I wanted to do some track days and be more involved with Autocross this season. I knew going in, I did not mind have a slightly more aggressive compound that dusted up more, and it seems I am lucky that its hasn't yet, but also a compound that wasn't too aggressive that it would eat my rotors up.

Z1 2 Piece Rotors - Fronts

I needed new rotors bad since my fronts would vibrate during braking. I thought about keeping it simple and just go with OEm replacements, or 1 piece slotted, but figured I wants to splurge and bit the bullet to buy Z1 2 piece units during Black Friday.

In agreement with the other reviews, feelings, and experiences with this product in the front, shedding the weight made a huge difference in the driving feel; increased response and feeling more nimble and easier to steer the car. I opted for the slotted rotors as opposed to the popular sprinkle. I wanted a simpler look but still wanted slots. installation was as simple as remove the old and reinstall the Z1. No problems with thickness' or clearances, even with new pads.

Z1 2 Piece Rotors - Rears

I mentioned earlier, I bought the rears during Black Friday to maximize my savings. However, I was sent the incorrect hat. I received one for the 2017+ Q60. The difference is in the diameter of the rotor hat, with the Q60 being larger. I did not realize this until I adjusted my parking drum to the ,ax and it still didn't touch the hat. After making a trip back to Z1, Jon was super koo to help me out and swap to the correct one for a G37. Got home, slapped that bish on, adjusted my parking brakes, and I was good to go. Same with the fronts, clearances and all was spot on and I have no issues with new pads.

Excuse the rust, the fronts sat a couple of day while I was trying to figure out teh rear rotor situation.

This pictures is with the Q60 rotor hat. Everything bolts up fine except the parking brakes won't make contact.